GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2GS Pureone oil filters for $4 at Advanced Auto Parts..

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-12, 05:46 AM
Zoilus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2GS Pureone oil filters for $4 at Advanced Auto Parts..

Just thought I'd share this. I live in Texas but the deal looks to be everywhere. The Pureone is on sale for $5. if you put in "P20" (without quotes of course) in the promo box ...then you get 20% off. The code only works on Purolator filters I believe. I ordered 3 and picked them up at the store...total: $12.88 !

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...151&taskType=A
Old 05-02-12, 09:03 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Thats almost the same price as oem
Old 05-02-12, 10:17 AM
SureShot
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Thats almost the same price as oem
12.88 for 3 OEM filters? Where!?

even sewell is 21 and some change with shipping to me for 3 filters

Last edited by SureShot; 05-02-12 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-02-12, 10:52 AM
chicov8
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

last time i payed $3,88 for oem toyota oil filter with employe discount
Old 05-02-12, 08:03 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SureShot

Not OEM filters. Purolator filters. These are very good filters. I use them in all of my cars and the one for my GS is the same for my wife's Highlander
Old 05-02-12, 09:16 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

yea i use pureone too. switched from OEM to pureone.

price is good. they go for $6.98 or something per without counting tax.

i wana buy in bulk but need someone to split with lol..
Old 05-02-12, 11:25 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by chicov8
last time i payed $3,88 for oem toyota oil filter with employe discount
Exactly, I bought a whole box.
Old 05-04-12, 10:42 AM
Zoilus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SureShot

Yeah these are NOT oem... they are Pureone filters which are great. And follow the link I put there, its at Advanced Auto Parts.

They block 99.9% of microns and what not...

not to knock on stock filters, but that number is pretty much as good as it gets, since no company can ever claim 100%

I just don't know what the percentage is of a stock filter.... like I said .... I doubt it's any higher than that. I doubt it may ever be that to begin with.
Old 05-05-12, 12:09 AM
PUREADDICT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Link not working
Old 05-05-12, 04:32 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

These are typically priced around $5-$6 at amazon and periodically a rebate for $2-$3 comes up (to bring it down to $4 or so).

I use amazon just because it's a bit easier with free shipping (i have prime) . Sometimes get the pl20195 (longer, but with same specs) and works fine in gs300. Search on these part numbers, i'm sure some threads will come up that discuss them (and you can relive whatever arguments you have regarding OEM vs. aftermarket).

It's a bit of a catch-22. If you're picky enough to care about the filter you use, really any decent filter will work fine, because your car is not in such disrepair that it spewing metal and chunks of carbon, and you're doing regular oil changes before the filter even gets close to being obstructed.

Anyhoo, in the long range of things, even though $6->$4 is like 33% savings, it's still really only $2. Not something to get overly excited about.

Last edited by raytseng; 05-05-12 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-05-12, 05:14 PM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by raytseng
These are typically priced around $5-$6 at amazon and periodically a rebate for $2-$3 comes up (to bring it down to $4 or so).

I use amazon just because it's a bit easier with free shipping (i have prime) . Sometimes get the pl20195 (longer, but with same specs) and works fine in gs300. Search on these part numbers, i'm sure some threads will come up that discuss them (and you can relive whatever arguments you have regarding OEM vs. aftermarket).

It's a bit of a catch-22. If you're picky enough to care about the filter you use, really any decent filter will work fine, because your car is not in such disrepair that it spewing metal and chunks of carbon, and you're doing regular oil changes before the filter even gets close to being obstructed.

Anyhoo, in the long range of things, even though $6->$4 is like 33% savings, it's still really only $2. Not something to get overly excited about.
For all my 7 cars in the past 4 years, I have always used WIX, K&N, or Royal Purple filters. With either Royal Purple oil, or Mobil 1 full syn oil.

Price is high.....but its lubing and cleaning an engine that is constantly moving parts that depend on it to work perfect every time. Call me ****,......but I feel its comfort and reliability.....

I try to wait till its on sale tho. Pep Boys has buy 5 qt's of Royal Purple get free filter (15 dollar value). So I normally get 2-3 kits......
Old 05-05-12, 05:26 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I buy the white k&N its like $17 i think, with full synthetic mobil 1, GREAT combo
Old 05-05-12, 05:45 PM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
I buy the white k&N its like $17 i think, with full synthetic mobil 1, GREAT combo
Did my first oil change since getting my 03 GS300 with 276k miles with white K&N and Royal Purple a few days ago......it feels wonderful (yes I can feel it).

I need to change out the air filter too.....changed all the cabin air filter already too.
Old 05-15-12, 06:16 PM
Zoilus
Driver School Candidate

This arguement is endless BUT the matter of fact is that if you don't live in the high rpm range, like and the race track, and or always flooring it.... there is no need to over kill...stock oil and oem filter will work just fine.

I don't drive my car hard, fastest I go is highway speeds. Its 14 years old AND I use Walmart ....yes....Walmart SuperTech 2000 FULL Synthetic oil and pureone oil filter. And my car is as smooth and strong as the day it came from the dealership back in 98!

At 5000K miles I change the oil, the oil is BARELY even dirty. It looks light brown not black or anything and it smells normal when it comes out.

And I hate to be the barer of bad news, but Mobil 1 is NOT a fully synthetic oil. Its a Synthetic BLEND, this means if each quart has 3 drops of synthetic and the rest is regular oil, then legally they can call it synthetic blend. It is a good brand that protects well but they are making lots of $$$ tricking people into thinking its something its not. Now their SYN line is fully synthetic though. Only Group IV and V oils are full synthetics. Like amsoil, and royal purple.

I love my GS...but it's a machine people, no need to overkill like if was made of blood and tissue or somekind of soft delicate fluffy flower. $25 is what I spend on each oil change, and the car is still going like a champ at 140k miles

Last edited by Zoilus; 05-15-12 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-15-12, 06:24 PM
Zoilus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by raytseng

And THIS is why corporate america loves you. Your 33% is just $2... but if they get a million people to think like you across the country...they just made $2 million MORE and you are $2 poorer. Plus you would be shocked at how much a dollar here and there, 10 bucks here and there, add up to.

Quick Reply: 2GS Pureone oil filters for $4 at Advanced Auto Parts..