GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

KEY PROGRAMMING for 98-05 gs300 400 430

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-14, 01:45 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by inffc
I had successful program my first remote for remote. But no matter what I tried, I just can't program the second key. I can program second key for engine to start just not the remote.
Why?? please help!!
Did you figure this out? I had the same issue till I stood outside the car and did it.
Old 10-17-14, 09:34 AM
DnJ90
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Datwork
Where can I buy a Key Fob and chip? My car only came with one key and I would really like to have an extra, without paying $300 to the dealer. Is this possible, and if so, where do I look? I've only come up with 'empty' shells.
Got mine from Ebay for $29 includeing shipping.Sent it to Sewell Lexus.Was $16 for programing(Done from your VIN number) And $16 For shipping.Total was $61.Used the programing instructions from this post and it worked fine after a few tries.
The following users liked this post:
4rcedfed (05-29-19)
Old 10-17-14, 09:48 AM
Datwork
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DnJ90
Got mine from Ebay for $29 includeing shipping.Sent it to Sewell Lexus.Was $16 for programing(Done from your VIN number) And $16 For shipping.Total was $61.Used the programing instructions from this post and it worked fine after a few tries.
Oh shoot, so I have to buy the key fob from ebay, send it in to Lexus, and then I have to program using the above posted method? I was hoping this method bypassed having to deal with a dealer.
Old 10-20-14, 04:50 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Oh shoot, so I have to buy the key fob from ebay, send it in to Lexus, and then I have to program using the above posted method? I was hoping this method bypassed having to deal with a dealer.
It DOES bypass having to deal with the dealer.

I am not sure why he sent it to them.

You can buy the keys from ebay precut (to your code, or with a picture) then program yourself.

I just did another GS4 yesterday, my 5th time programming keys this month - this time all the car had was a cheapo "fake" key like from a crappy locksmith so I was worried.

I checked to make sure it was programmed as a master - and it was - so I ordered up keys using a photo to have them cut.

When they arrived, I programmed the fobs and programmed the immobilizer first shot and now the car has 3 remote keys and the one it started with.
Old 10-20-14, 05:25 PM
DnJ90
Rookie

I sent it to Sewell because I don't have a key code for it and it seems most have sent the key to Sewell to get cut.
Old 10-21-14, 02:24 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DnJ90
I sent it to Sewell because I don't have a key code for it and it seems most have sent the key to Sewell to get cut.
No need for this as a lot of online locksmiths can cut it from a picture, I just did it.
Old 10-21-14, 10:13 AM
Datwork
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by angus
No need for this as a lot of online locksmiths can cut it from a picture, I just did it.
Ok excellent. Thank you! Just bought the fobs from fleabay 2x for $40. I'll give the programming a whirl and if all good, get them cut. Thanks for all the info!
Old 10-21-14, 03:45 PM
sc-fsport
Pit Crew

Hello everyone, I don't mean to redirect the attention but i have a situation. The master key for my car was lost, I bought a JDM get motor with edu that had the immobilizer built in. I was able to get the old chip from the JDM key and get the car to start. That frequency matches. Is there a way to get the new master key programmed for keyless entry one my car. I got the key cut from Sewell via my vin. I just left lexus and the said i have a door actuator out will that stop the car from programming the key. I have tried the method suggested here for programming and it have never work. If anyone has an idea how to resolve this please let me know thanks!
Old 10-21-14, 04:43 PM
Datwork
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sc-fsport
Hello everyone, I don't mean to redirect the attention but i have a situation. The master key for my car was lost, I bought a JDM get motor with edu that had the immobilizer built in. I was able to get the old chip from the JDM key and get the car to start. That frequency matches. Is there a way to get the new master key programmed for keyless entry one my car. I got the key cut from Sewell via my vin. I just left lexus and the said i have a door actuator out will that stop the car from programming the key. I have tried the method suggested here for programming and it have never work. If anyone has an idea how to resolve this please let me know thanks!
Sounds like you need to fix the door actuator first. There is a DIY on here to get it done for less than $10.00
Old 10-21-14, 05:04 PM
DnJ90
Rookie

Originally Posted by angus
Maybe not but I just felt more comfortable doing it this way.With my luck I would of sent them the picture and it wouldn't have come out right and now I'm out the money for the key and the cut.Besides everyone seems to recommend Sewell so I felt comfortable doing it this way.
Old 10-22-14, 10:20 AM
akafixture
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thought I would share experience. I got a blank key from Ebay and had it cut by my local locksmith ($35) I had a extra remote from my last lexus. Took out the remote internals and put them in my new key blank. key worked the doors but of course the car would just turn over since it wasnt programmed. Did the procedure below and it took 2 times. The 2nd time I had to go faster and it worked. The car fired up. It should take you about 1 minute and 30 seconds to complete.

1. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition. Do not turn.
2. Press and release the gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
6. Press and release the gas pedal one time.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.

Next is to program the buttons. Had one to many beers to follow those instructions!

Fixture
Old 11-06-14, 12:14 PM
Datwork
Driver School Candidate

Update on my experience following the suggestions of this forum.
I have a 2002 GS300, I have master key.

I bought this ( different auction but same item/seller) think I paid $40.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-New-Replacement-Uncut-Ignition-Master-Key-Remote-Fob-Transmitter-HYQ1512V-/191375563744?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c8edf5be0&vxp=mtr
I then programmed the fobs and when I made sure they worked I bought these ($40.00 and they cut the keys for you, didn't have to send in my master, just had to take pictures of it.)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UPGRADE-your-LEXUS-3-BUTTON-REMOTE-KEYS-to-our-NEW-SWITCHBLADE-FLIP-KEY-CASE-/151442906574?vxp=mtr
Had no issues following the programming instructions on the first post.

Thanks for all the help guys! Saved me money and frustration!
Old 12-04-14, 04:35 PM
2GSTony
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update on my experience following the suggestions of this forum.
I have a 2002 GS300, I have master key.

I bought this ( different auction but same item/seller) think I paid $40.
2 New Replacement Uncut Ignition Master Key Remote Fob Transmitter HYQ1512V | eBay

I then programmed the fobs and when I made sure they worked I bought these ($40.00 and they cut the keys for you, didn't have to send in my master, just had to take pictures of it.)
Upgrade Your Lexus 3 Button Remote Keys to Our "New" Switchblade Flip Key Case | eBay

Had no issues following the programming instructions on the first post.

Thanks for all the help guys! Saved me money and frustration!
Thanks for posting this!
Old 03-24-15, 03:23 PM
ntyravgjo
Driver School Candidate

Default Car Won't Start - Please Help

Originally Posted by swat1727
in case someone needs to add another key there is the instruction. two parts. key and remote

KEY PROGRAMMING:

REMOTE PROGRAMMING:

1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove. Do not turn it on.
3. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
4. Close and open drivers door.
5. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
6. Put key into ignition. Turn to "ON" , turn off and remove.
7. You will see the door locks cycle by themselves.

If the door locks do not cycle (lock and unlock) by themselves then the car isn’t in programming mode and you must start over.

8. On the remote, press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.
9. On the remote, press the LOCK button for no more than 1 second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted.
IF the locks cycle twice it has failed.
The most common reason for programming failure is because the car didn’t receive a good signal from the remote. To fix this problem try these tips. 1) Stand outside of the car while you are performing steps 8 and 9. 2) Don’t hold the remote buttons down as long.
As long as the car is still in programming mode you can keep trying steps 8 and 9 until you complete the programming. If you wait too long and the car exits the programming mode then you must start over.
After you get the remote to program then continue on with step 10.
10. Close and open door to end programming procedure.

1. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition. Do not turn.
2. Press and release the gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
6. Press and release the gas pedal one time.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.
NOTE: Look for your security light. This light will guide you during the programming procedure. The security light will go off at Step 1. It will remain off until Step 6. The security light will come on and start to blink after Step 6 until the key is programmed. If the security light comes on after Step 4 STOP the procedure and start over again.
If you perform this procedure too slowly your car will not go into programming mode. If you can not get your car to go into programming mode make sure you are using a master key and not a valet key. If you have a master key then you will probably need to perform this procedure more quickly.
I obtained a new key fob after my last was damaged. I successfully programmed the locks and trunk with the procedure in this forum (above). The car; however, does not start. It lights up but does not turn over. I followed part two of the procedure with no luck. I am using a working key (car starts) as a master. The security light begins to blink after step 6 but do not go off. I've tried several times. Can anyone help?
Old 03-25-15, 01:15 PM
mkpoto
Rookie

Originally Posted by ntyravgjo
I obtained a new key fob after my last was damaged. I successfully programmed the locks and trunk with the procedure in this forum (above). The car; however, does not start. It lights up but does not turn over. I followed part two of the procedure with no luck. I am using a working key (car starts) as a master. The security light begins to blink after step 6 but do not go off. I've tried several times. Can anyone help?
are you sure the second key is a master? I had the same thing happen but could not get the another key programmed as it was not a master. Got a master key made and the procedure worked flawlessly

Quick Reply: KEY PROGRAMMING for 98-05 gs300 400 430