GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Oil leak from hell

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-12, 11:56 AM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil leak from hell

I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to where my oil leak is coming from on my 2JZ. I replaced thr valve cover gaskets and the oil pan gasket but those werent the culprits. I have no idea where its coming from. Had it on the hoist the other day and couldnt find the origin. I did the timing belt so i know thr crank and cam seals arent leaking either. Thanks folks
Old 04-29-12, 12:01 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Get under the car and find where its leaking oil thats the only real way to find it. Could be your rear main seal.
Old 04-29-12, 12:04 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Took that little cover off to see and its dry as heck where the rear main is. I looked and looked under the car but its all so wet i cant pinpoint it. Gota get under it again i guess but it isnt one specific area that i would be looking at the whole underside of the motor is drenched .
Old 04-29-12, 12:23 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Maybe rear main seals? Go to autozone get one of those oil leak dye.
Old 04-29-12, 01:14 PM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

Oil filter seal? Drain plug? Oil cooler lines?
Old 04-29-12, 01:21 PM
LexiBlue
Lead Lap

pull timing cover make sure the VVti gear not leaking best thing to do is degrease the bottom of the car let it run place a cardboard under it that should give a general idea where the leak is coming from. hope this helps.
Old 04-29-12, 02:28 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

get under the car and just see where its coming from before u replace parts u dont have to!
Old 04-29-12, 02:49 PM
PUREgs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexiBlue
pull timing cover make sure the VVti gear not leaking best thing to do is degrease the bottom of the car let it run place a cardboard under it that should give a general idea where the leak is coming from. hope this helps.
i agree check the vvti cam gear....it makes a mess.
Old 04-29-12, 04:33 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

I chrcked vvt-i the cam gear no leaks. Its coming from the oil filtrr side. Maybe the oil filter housing seal. I dont know tomorrow its going back on the hoist.
Old 04-30-12, 12:23 PM
Goochie
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys.

I also have the oil leak from hell - I bought the car with 182k miles on the clock about 2 months ago and generally only do short distances. Its always had a slight leak but its normally just a couple of drops per week.

However, now I've done a couple of 100+ miles trips in the car its really bad. Yesterday I went to a track day at Silverstone and stopped for a pee on the way - I came out to see people looking concerned at the cloud of blue smoke coming out from the car - Seems to be leaking onto the exhaust somewhere now.

In the same way as D-Boi, the underside of the engine and gear box are covered in a thin film of oil so its really hard to see the leak.

There is a small amount of oil around the cam cover join but no where near enough to account for the oil that is dripping on the floor.

Where is the VVTI cam gear you mention?

The weather here in England is really bad at the moment so getting under the car is difficult due to the constant rain. The rain also means I'm leaving an oil slick everywhere I park
Old 04-30-12, 12:38 PM
VIPDreamin
Driver

Oil is tricky you would be surprised...my valve cover gasket got pinched over the weekend and i got about 10 minutes from the house and blew 2 quarts out a tiny spot smoke every where....

Now my O2 sensors are on the fritz setting off my CEL ...oh and what a mess
Old 04-30-12, 12:38 PM
jonpr360
Driver School Candidate

Clean the underside and the front/bottom of the motor and check it for the next couple of days after you clean it. You will be able to determine where it is coming from. just out of curiosity, have you checked:

Cam seals?
Crank seal?

Also, the oil could be dripping when you are driving, and because of your speed, the oil is splashing back onto the exhaust. I know this because mine is doing the same thing right now!!!
Old 04-30-12, 12:44 PM
justablkv8
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Crank or oil pan.
Old 04-30-12, 12:47 PM
Goochie
Driver School Candidate

Normally when driving around town I only notice drops when the car has been parked up for a while (over night, for example).

However on Saturday I did 100 miles at 60-80mph in the rain, the water has mixed with the hot oil on the underside of the engine and turned to a white emulsified mess - Its even found its way out onto the sill on one side. When I parked up there was blue smoke coming out from under the car so I opened up the bonnet (sorry, hood ) expecting a cloud of blue smoke to come out.

There was a slight amount of oil smoke from around the exhaust manifold but nothing much - I think most of the smoke was coming from under the car.

I've not checked anything yet due to the poor weather. To be honest the car only has to last me until August first when I move to Australia but I'm worried it wont be able to manage that! Probably got another 3000 miles to do before then.

EDIT: Just looked through the history as I thought I'd seen it somewhere - 20k miles ago the car went to Lexus and they noted "Poss oil leak from engine sump pan and rear crank seal?? Monitor"

5k before that a non-lexus mechanic has noted "oil leak appears to be coming from oil filter - This has been changed and leak stopped"

Last edited by Goochie; 04-30-12 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-01-12, 10:01 AM
WLGS01
Pole Position

So yesterday I apparenty must have hit something because I woke up to some marks on my car. Good thing their removable. But now I'm starting to see leaks. When the car is parked theres no drops, however when the engine is on and I back out from the driveway, I see a trail of leak that ranges probaly two feet. Anybody have an idea what it might be?

Quick Reply: Oil leak from hell