GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Mark Levinson work around upgrade issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-12, 09:23 AM
4GS30gl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson work around upgrade issues

I have a 2004 GS430 with ML and Nav.

I paid earmark to instal the "SoundLinQ2 ipod audio/video interface" . While they had the car they talked me into upgrading with Front and rear "FOCAL integration series speakers powered by a JLXD600/6 amp.

The audio/video interface works great. I can play music from my iphone and also down load any music videos, tv shows or movies and watch them in my car on my lunch break.

The problem i'm having is the sound with the new amp and speakers is off somewhat. It sounded like the vocals were under the instruments any the lows were off. I noticed it right away.

I live near a Car Toys so I brought it by to see if they could hear what i was hearing. They told me they could instal an Audio Control EQS and that would make it sound great. —So I did... It made it worse... They ran test and said i wasn't getting a full signal and the the lows were dropping off when the volume went up. They said take it back to earmark and have them tap into a full range signal... I returned the EQS...

Long story short — After going around and around with these two I had to do some digging myself on many forums to realize that The ML system is not to be messed with. The HU have built in equalization that lead to sharp roll off of low frequencies as you turn up the volume. The door speakers i believe are 16 ohm normally and the system is set up for that. Adding an amp and 4 ohm speakers is affecting the sound quality and I have yet to hear of a successful solution.

After reading over and over to either leave the system as is or replace the HU and start over clean, I went back and ask for a refund on the speakers and amp and to put the system back to the way it was. But they don't do refunds.... They seemed to know what I was talking about when I showed them all the forum printout of the problems everyone has faced with ML upgrades so I was a little pissed that they sold me $1,600 of stuff that they knew wouldn't sound correct and that I wouldn't be able to get my money back. EARMARK in PLANO TEXAS

My fade from front to rear doesn't work correctly and I'm wondering if anybody out there has figured out a way to correct this and the lows fading off without putting in a new HU?

I have Nav and all my controls for the radio and AC are going to be affected by pulling the HU.

What is the best way to get the best sound? Should I add a Bit one to the mix? But if i do from what I understand I still wont be getting a full signal to work with because of the HU?

Should I remove the amp and speakers and put the ML speakers back in and add something else to the existing system to increase the sound quality? But if i do I'll have $1,600 in speakers and amp that I'm stuck with.

HELP!!!! I spent a lot of money and although it's louder the sound isn't quite right...

Greg
Old 04-17-12, 11:03 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Its all about tuning. You can have all the cool add ons but if the tune is off, it will sound worse than stock.