GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need help with exhaust tip with factory muffler!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-12, 10:32 PM
GS4TEK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with exhaust tip with factory muffler!

I have the GS400 with the original manufacture mufflers I would like to just put a new exhaust tips on those mufflers ( just the tips) to make them look nice, is it possible? Please give me advice on what brand should I use and the size of the tips. Thanks in advance
Old 04-08-12, 11:36 PM
818GS
Lead Lap

Its possible you just have to cut off the stock ones and weld on the new ones. Just look online and see which one you like and a mechanic should be able to weld them on for cheap. Don't get ones too big though. Around 2.75''
Old 04-09-12, 08:41 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4TEK
I have the GS400 with the original manufacture mufflers I would like to just put a new exhaust tips on those mufflers ( just the tips) to make them look nice, is it possible? Please give me advice on what brand should I use and the size of the tips. Thanks in advance
Very possible and very common. The most common brand I recall seeing is Magnaflow and the most common outlet sizes are 3.5 and 4 inch.

I have Magnaflow tips on my stock exhaust. You have lots of options. Search the 2GS forum for "Exhaust Tips" and check out the pictures. Once you find one you like find a Exhaust shop to put them on for you.

Old 04-09-12, 10:13 AM
GS4TEK
Driver

Originally Posted by 818GS
Its possible you just have to cut off the stock ones and weld on the new ones. Just look online and see which one you like and a mechanic should be able to weld them on for cheap. Don't get ones too big though. Around 2.75''
818 GS thank u for a quick respond
Old 04-09-12, 10:15 AM
GS4TEK
Driver

Originally Posted by Debonair
Very possible and very common. The most common brand I recall seeing is Magnaflow and the most common outlet sizes are 3.5 and 4 inch.

I have Magnaflow tips on my stock exhaust. You have lots of options. Search the 2GS forum for "Exhaust Tips" and check out the pictures. Once you find one you like find a Exhaust shop to put them on for you.

Debonair>Thank u very much for the info and thanks for posting those pictures as well. They look real good on the GS!!
Old 04-09-12, 11:15 AM
justablkv8
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have l-tuned mufflers with 4" magnaflow tips.

To be honest its a waste of money. Although they look good I'd of much rather just upgraded my entire exhaust. The tips are like $80/each (I got double rolled 4") and welding them were around $60. So let's say around $220. For the price of a catback ($6-800) I would of rather spend my money that way.
Old 04-09-12, 11:43 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have tips on mine. It was $40 total. 4.5" rolled tips. Looks really nice, didn't want an exhaust would attract cops plus didn't want my car to be loud/drone.

Old 04-09-12, 12:09 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by justablkv8
I have l-tuned mufflers with 4" magnaflow tips.

To be honest its a waste of money. Although they look good I'd of much rather just upgraded my entire exhaust. The tips are like $80/each (I got double rolled 4") and welding them were around $60. So let's say around $220. For the price of a catback ($6-800) I would of rather spend my money that way.
$220 is way too high. Just for reference I paid $100 flat for the tips and installation. Nice and quiet while still looking good. Mine are double walled - I think thats what you meant yours are as well, or are they rolled edge?

sc300jz got a hell of a deal too @ $45.00.

Either way OP figure out what you want and call around. Letting the shop get the tips for you will usually save you some money since they get them cheaper then you can (wholesale) and will work a bundle price rather then an a-la-cart price. Also if you call the busiest large volume shops they will overcharge you since this simple little job is taking away from bigger paying ones.

Originally Posted by sc300jz
... Looks really nice, didn't want an exhaust ...didn't want my car to be loud/drone.
AMEN.
Old 04-09-12, 01:47 PM
GS4TEK
Driver

Originally Posted by sc300jz
I have tips on mine. It was $40 total. 4.5" rolled tips. Looks really nice, didn't want an exhaust would attract cops plus didn't want my car to be loud/drone.

Sc300jz thanks for posting. Ur Gs430 looks nice!
Old 04-09-12, 01:49 PM
GS4TEK
Driver

$220 is way too high. Just for reference I paid $100 flat for the tips and installation. Nice and quiet while still looking good. Mine are double walled - I think thats what you meant yours are as well, or are they rolled edge?

Either way OP figure out what you want and call around. Letting the shop get the tips for you will usually save you some money since they get them cheaper then you can (wholesale) and will work a bundle price rather then an a-la-cart price. Also if you call the busiest large volume shops they will overcharge you since this simple little job is taking away from bigger paying ones.

AMEN.
Debonair, thanks again! Lots of useful info from U... What is the size of ur tips?
Old 04-09-12, 02:40 PM
justablkv8
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

AMEN.
Most shops around here dont carry those tips in stock (dbl walled magnaflow) - i used to have some cheap double wall tips from a no name brand and they pitted quickly.

Also, you pay for the type of welds you get..just saying..
Old 04-09-12, 03:12 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Debonair, thanks again! Lots of useful info from U... What is the size of ur tips?
Magnaflow Part# 35126 - 2.25 in (not 2.5, that was a typo), 4in out. There are lots of options out there though - Singe wall, double wall, straight cut, slash cut, etc. Search for threads using "exhaust tips" and you will see lots of examples. Keep in mind my $100 was 4.5 years and a super deal. Expect some inflation but not much.

Originally Posted by justablkv8
Most shops around here dont carry those tips in stock (dbl walled magnaflow) - i used to have some cheap double wall tips from a no name brand and they pitted quickly. Also, you pay for the type of welds you get..just saying..
Most of the shops around here don't either, instead they use local supply houses. Once I knew what I wanted I called down and they ordered them. They had them later that day. This is most definitely NOT the case everywhere but they still should be able to order them at a better price then we can.

As far as the welds they have been on since 11/07. 4.5 years and 80K miles as my daily driver and they are still on with no issues. Any experienced exhaust man/woman should be able to make some exhaust tips stay on, this is the easiest job they can do.

You may buy into the More $ = More quality idea, and I respect that as your opinion. Its just is not that simple in my world, lots of people pay higher amounts for lots of things and end up with the same, sometimes less quality. Find a shop with a good rep and competitive prices, live happily ever after.

Now if you are planning on putting mirrors under your car and want the polished row of nickles look or the welds ground smooth thats a different story.....

Last edited by Debonair; 04-17-12 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-17-12, 11:46 AM
GS4TEK
Driver

Magnaflow Part# 35126 - 2.5 in, 4in out. There are lots of options out there though - Singe wall, double wall, straight cut, slash cut, etc. Search for threads using "exhaust tips" and you will see lots of examples. Keep in mind my $100 was 4.5 years and a super deal. Expect some inflation but not much.

Most of the shops around here don't either, instead they use local supply houses. Once I knew what I wanted I called down and they ordered them. They had them later that day. This is most definitely NOT the case everywhere but they still should be able to order them at a better price then we can.

As far as the welds they have been on since 11/07. 4.5 years and 80K miles as my daily driver and they are still on with no issues. Any experienced exhaust man/woman should be able to make some exhaust tips stay on, this is the easiest job they can do.

You may buy into the More $ = More quality idea, and I respect that as your opinion. Its just is not that simple in my world, lots of people pay higher amounts for lots of things and end up with the same, sometimes less quality. Find a shop with a good rep and competitive prices, live happily ever after.

Now if you are planning on putting mirrors under your car and want the polished row of nickles look or the welds ground smooth thats a different story.....
Denonair.. I believe the stock inlet is 2 1/4 in diameter u wrote that u had 2 1/2 inlet on ur Magnaflow. according to ur suggestion I should get the 2 1/2 after market exhaust tips for my stock?
Thanks in advance..
Old 04-17-12, 12:08 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Denonair.. I believe the stock inlet is 2 1/4 in diameter u wrote that u had 2 1/2 inlet on ur Magnaflow. according to ur suggestion I should get the 2 1/2 after market exhaust tips for my stock?
Thanks in advance..
My typo - should have been 2.25, not 2.5. Sorry for the confusion. Get the 2.25 / 2 1/4.
Old 04-18-12, 09:29 AM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

SC300jz- How long are your tips? I think you said the outlet is 4.5in. Im wanting to buy myself a little birthday present lol

Quick Reply: Need help with exhaust tip with factory muffler!