GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

auto-dim on rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-02, 03:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default auto-dim on rear view mirror

every time we start the car the rear view mirror will turn on the auto-dim function automatically. is that there way to disable that by default and only turn on if i press the botton? i generally don't like that feature coz' i can't look clearly for cops anymore, and it's annoying to press that botton every time i get in the car at night.
Old 10-30-02, 05:05 PM
Cosm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, Me too . I Hate the auto dim feature. PLEASE HELP !!! Maybe we could take out the fuse that does it unless the fuse does other things too.
Old 10-30-02, 05:24 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

simple,cover up the sensor on the mirror, thus it can't see the rear headlight anymore==> no more dimming =)

give it a try, use a piece of tape or something, see if you like it or not
anh
Old 10-30-02, 07:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

but that would mean total disable of the function right? what i would prefer is auto-dim off by default and say if i am driving with an sux tailgating me i can turn it on and forget the light. can it be done?
Old 10-31-02, 08:42 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Man, my auto-dim never has worked... maybe we can swap mirrors
Old 11-01-02, 02:23 PM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

I have NEVER seen my auto dim activate. In my SC4, all I had to do was it the button, and the mirror darken. What the hell is that button for in the GS model? I hit it, and nothing happens????
Old 11-01-02, 04:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by LexCiting
I have NEVER seen my auto dim activate. In my SC4, all I had to do was it the button, and the mirror darken. What the hell is that button for in the GS model? I hit it, and nothing happens????
you sure?! at night time when you start the car, you should see a green light right beside the botton, showing that the autodim is on. and you should notice the light from cars at the back dimmed. if you press it once you will see the green light off and it's back to normal mirror.
Old 11-02-02, 10:14 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

Nope, doesn't happen like that with me. I had a friend get behind me in his Escalade (so that his lights were hitting the rear mirror), and turn on his high beams. I hit the button, the green light is on, and I am blinded. I hit the button again, green light is off, I am STILL blinded, with no difference as far as filtering the light. Anyone else think the auto dimmer function doesn't work in their car?
Old 11-02-02, 01:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by LexCiting
Nope, doesn't happen like that with me. I had a friend get behind me in his Escalade (so that his lights were hitting the rear mirror), and turn on his high beams. I hit the button, the green light is on, and I am blinded. I hit the button again, green light is off, I am STILL blinded, with no difference as far as filtering the light. Anyone else think the auto dimmer function doesn't work in their car?
umm... that sounds like it's not working? the effect on my car is quite obvious. still have warranty?
Old 02-25-04, 03:44 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey guyz...my auto-dimming rear view mirrors do NOT work anymore...the little green light is still on...and I can turn it off, but nothing happens when I toggle it. I remember my rear-view mirror use to turn green when I'm blinded by headlights of an SUV/truck. My side mirrors also use to turn another color too...i think bronze.

Do you think my window tints is the culprit?

Pete
Old 02-25-04, 07:13 PM
Tranman

Originally posted by PHML
Hey guyz...my auto-dimming rear view mirrors do NOT work anymore...the little green light is still on...and I can turn it off, but nothing happens when I toggle it. I remember my rear-view mirror use to turn green when I'm blinded by headlights of an SUV/truck. My side mirrors also use to turn another color too...i think bronze.

Do you think my window tints is the culprit?

Pete
Yeah, I would say soo....I lost my autodim when I put my tint on as well....eh, it's not a big deal to me.
Old 02-25-04, 10:31 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default do i have that??....

i have a 2000 GS300 and was wondering if that the dimming rear view mirror is an option or standard b/c i dont recall having that option on my rear view mirror also, where is the button that contols this?? im gonna have to look at it when i get in my car tomorrow.
Old 02-25-04, 11:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

dunno, i have 32% tint all around and my autodim still works perfect. if you use a flash light and shine right at the mirror it shoudl rims. try to do that with the flashlight inside and outside of the car and see
Old 02-26-04, 12:56 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Henry....the flashlight trick worked. My auto-dim function still works....but I have not seen it work for over a year. I still believe my tints have something to do with it....mines are 35%.

Btw....are there sensors in the side mirrors to make them auto-dim? Or is there only 1 sensor (in rear view mirror) that will activate the side mirror auto-dim?

Pete
Old 02-26-04, 01:14 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: do i have that??....

Originally posted by varcity64
i have a 2000 GS300 and was wondering if that the dimming rear view mirror is an option or standard b/c i dont recall having that option on my rear view mirror also, where is the button that contols this?? im gonna have to look at it when i get in my car tomorrow.
According to Lexus's CPO page, it's standard on your 2000 GS300:

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_detail/gs/300/2000.html

The small rectangular button is on the bottom facing edge of the inside rearview mirror. There is a dimly lit green LED right by the button (to signify if it's on or off).

Quick Reply: auto-dim on rear view mirror