GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

ML stereo right side louder than left???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-12, 10:56 PM
jp196400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ML stereo right side louder than left???

I have noticed that on my 2001 gs430 with the ML stereo that the right side speakers are louder than the left. (all the speakers are working)

From what I've read everything's pointing to the amp,

To my knowledge (witch is very limited) when an amp looses a channel that channel wont work at all.

And if that's the case then how come I'm getting a sound out of my left side but at a much lower volume?

Has anyone had a similar problem?

(in case someone asks I have checked the balance)
Old 03-23-12, 02:11 PM
jp196400
Driver School Candidate

no ones had this problem?
Old 03-23-12, 09:34 PM
themccoy14
Driver

I just picked my GS400 up yesterday and I'm experiencing the same thing... In for results ha
Old 03-23-12, 09:42 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very odd problem. I would recommend taking it to a shop to have it troubleshooted by a professional.
Old 03-23-12, 09:58 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I actually do have this problem but i truly only notice it if i play fm radio. I have been using a cassette plug into my i-phone running pandora... For some reason it amplifies the whole system and plays super loud ( duracel cassette into the i-phone ) I also had issues months ago where the radio would just turn off on its own and would only come on after turning the car back on. Haven't found out why and haven't had the issue since last september.

My only reason for not caring to fix the problem is because i will be upgrading the entire system at some point.
Old 03-24-12, 09:55 AM
jp196400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blackgloss
I actually do have this problem but i truly only notice it if i play fm radio. I have been using a cassette plug into my i-phone running pandora... For some reason it amplifies the whole system and plays super loud ( duracel cassette into the i-phone ) I also had issues months ago where the radio would just turn off on its own and would only come on after turning the car back on. Haven't found out why and haven't had the issue since last september.

My only reason for not caring to fix the problem is because i will be upgrading the entire system at some point.
hmm I'll have to try that, I winder if the problem is in the head unit and not the amp.

I thought about upgrading the head unit but decided against it because I like the way the stock unit looks much better than any aftermarket one.
Old 03-24-12, 10:04 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by blackgloss

My radio and cd player plays, but i dont get any sound at all. But with my aux jack, ipod connected, i get music... weird.
Old 03-24-12, 01:22 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Are the settings on the factory player moved more towards the right side? I got a Phoenix gold 5 channel amp running ALL my factory speakers, not a single problem ever...

Last edited by DosyBoy; 03-24-12 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-24-12, 11:32 PM
jp196400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
Are the settings on the factory player moved more towards the right side? I got a Phoenix gold 5 channel amp running ALL my factory speakers, not a single problem ever...
nope dead centered, right in the middle.
Old 03-25-12, 05:56 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Are you running an aftermarket amp?
Old 03-25-12, 09:02 PM
jp196400
Driver School Candidate

Are you running an aftermarket amp?
nope, the only thing that's aftermarket is the speakers but the problem was happening before I changes them.
Old 03-25-12, 11:06 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jp196400
nope, the only thing that's aftermarket is the speakers but the problem was happening before I changes them.
I would just set the balance so they sound even, or you could switch the speakers and see if they do the same thing, if they do then you have a wiring problem on that side, look for something frayed or touching on metal, you said that the previous speakers did the same thing, so I can prob guarantee you, you have a wiring problem on that side..

Last edited by DosyBoy; 03-25-12 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-25-12, 11:16 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

[quote=GS4_Fiend;7109806]My radio and cd player plays, but i dont get any sound at all. But with my aux jack, ipod connected, i get music... weird.[/

You could be in protect mode cause you may have a short ..

1)Make sure that you have connected the speaker wires correctly and securely and they*are*connected*onto the terminals on the speaker. Sometimes the speaker wire braid is not solder onto*the speaker's terminal, which sometimes can*make*the speaker*wire braid,*disconnect from the terminal, which results in no sound. Also make sure that the speaker wires are connected correctly and securely*onto*the appropriate speaker output wires on the car head unit wiring harness.

2)Get a*spare speaker and directly connect that speaker,*to the speaker wires on the car head unit harness plug. If the speaker works, it shows there is something wrong with your speaker*wiring*that your using for your car speakers. If it's stock speaker*wiring your using to send output signal to your speakers, then replace it.

3)If there is no sound coming from the spare speaker, you used to test the sound. Then replace the hardness plug because it could be damaged.

4)If you have replaced the hardness plug and there still is no sound coming from your car speakers, then you car CD player is damaged. The internal amplifier inside it is probably fried. So i suggest you run a external amp, to power your car*speakers, or replace the car*head unit

Last edited by DosyBoy; 03-25-12 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-26-12, 12:25 AM
shurian
Pit Crew

I got Nakamichi head unit from GS4 if anybody interested,pm me
Old 03-28-12, 11:41 AM
jp196400
Driver School Candidate

I would just set the balance so they sound even, or you could switch the speakers and see if they do the same thing, if they do then you have a wiring problem on that side, look for something frayed or touching on metal, you said that the previous speakers did the same thing, so I can prob guarantee you, you have a wiring problem on that side..

I would set it to balance the same but then when the other side kicks back on it would be louder on the left lol
good advice I'll have to try and find the bad connection.
any idea where to start?

Quick Reply: ML stereo right side louder than left???