GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Mystery fluid on tranny mount bracket/just above it (with pics!)

Old 04-16-22, 10:48 PM
Tuhrak08
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery fluid on tranny mount bracket/just above it (with pics!)

Hi all,

I have a 2004 Lexus GS300, 217k miles. I was replacing the tranny mount today when I noticed that the bracket under the tranny mount (which the mount bolts to using the nuts) was completely wet with a mixture of grime and fluid. It didn't smell like tranny fluid and and was black or very dark brown. I haven't really noticed any transmission fluid level drops. I'm going to get some brake cleaner to clean it up completely and see if I can get some fresh fluid to leak there so I can see exactly what it is. I've attached pictures below, one of the tranny mount bracket and another one of a drop of the fluid accumulated above the tranny mount.

Tranny mount bracket

Fluid droplet above tranny mount bracket

What kinda fluid do you guys think it is? Any ideas on where it could be leaking from?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-16-22, 11:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,681 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Looks like motor oil. May or may not seem obvious, as you drive air blows stuff back making it hard to know the leak point. Your thinking is right clean it up and go from there.
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (04-18-22)
Old 04-16-22, 11:47 PM
Tuhrak08
Driver School Candidate

I think you might be right. It's way closer to the tranny than the engine so I thought motor oil was unlikely, but it smells/looks nothing like tranny fluid. Along with cleaning it up I'll also look for atf dipstick level changes which would definitely rule out atf.

Thank you and I'll post back once I get a clear answer!

In the meantime if anyone has had a similar experience please feel free to post!
Old 04-17-22, 11:43 AM
KTGS300
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

You may also want to check your VVTi gear for leak. Easiest way to check is to take off the timing belt top cover and put a piece of cardboard surrounding the VVTi gear like a splash guard then rev your engine. If there's a leak from the VVTi gear, you should see a splash line on the cardboard. With the top cover on, the leaked motor oil gets caught by the cover and drips down under the engine. So when the car is moving at high speed, it splashes all over the underside of the car.
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (04-18-22)
Old 04-18-22, 01:10 PM
Tuhrak08
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KTGS300
You may also want to check your VVTi gear for leak. Easiest way to check is to take off the timing belt top cover and put a piece of cardboard surrounding the VVTi gear like a splash guard then rev your engine. If there's a leak from the VVTi gear, you should see a splash line on the cardboard. With the top cover on, the leaked motor oil gets caught by the cover and drips down under the engine. So when the car is moving at high speed, it splashes all over the underside of the car.
Ah good to know! I was having a look at the front of the engine where the seals are (crank, cam, etc.) and it looks fairly clean, i can see maybe a few specks. I haven't changed the oil since I got the car (around 500 mi ago) and last time I checked oil (which was last week) it looked like the level was the same. So if is oil it definitely isn't a major leak. I don't see any new fluid since I cleaned it up but will keep looking.

Thank you for the suggestions I appreciate it!