GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

boring day so i decided to burn my springs !

Old 03-15-12, 05:44 PM
Kzoosho
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ****-adkt
SO, you RUN the performance shop or Sale parts at the counter?
Y yes sir I do. Our sales controls the shop plus everything is coordinated thru me and the shop manager. We are a right group. Hell we live together.
Old 03-15-12, 06:15 PM
R1emperor
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by randee973
well THOMAS if i had the tools trust me i wouldve done it ! im in no rush ! im buildin my system first !
Don't get me wrong, to each his own. I also like the drop. The only question that I have is, how do you have access to enough tools to build a dragster, but no tools to install the coilovers that you ALREADY have?
Old 03-15-12, 06:46 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Connect the dots....

he is a sales manager, so he must have access to wholesaler prices. So, why did you not just buy a set of springs?? At your level you could get a set for 100-150 bucks.

But Instead you torch your springs. Shouldn't a sales manager at a performance shop know that this is the worst thing you could do. you F'ed up all your spring rates.

I hope you don't tell ur customers to do that, that wouldn't be good for sales either....which you probably do because you couldn't afford real springs because you are making no sales

Ive got a set of springs if you want for $100
Old 03-15-12, 07:01 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KenMasters
to control the amount of drop when heating the coils:

1-put blocks/bricks underneath the car at your desired drop height

2-grab an acetylene rose bud / torch, and heat the coil spring in a pre-determined safe zone

3-let the car drop from its own weight, let the springs cool

4-jack it up, pull the blocks, Done

Heating spring steel does anneal the steel/ therefore weakening its tensile strength.

Hot rodders have been doing this since most of our parents were ****ting in diapers. So there is really nothing other than personal bias and uneducated opinions at work in the negative comments of this thread.

To the OP, good job. I thought of this route, personally I would have cut coils. I recently bought into the group buy Megan EZ, so all of this is irrelevant.

Cheers.
You are correct about Hot rodders doing this, but what they knew about spring rates then and what they know now are different. Most traditional hot rodders ran leaf springs on their model A's anyways
Old 03-15-12, 07:10 PM
Kzoosho
Driver

Wow you guys are so confused. No one at my job has heated springs. I have megans, buddy has k sports on his 1 g, and the mustang is on billsteins. Im simply stating that heated springs have been around for years and when done right arent as unsafe as you are preaching. Cut springs are a whole different bag of worms.
Old 03-15-12, 07:34 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

where are we preaching unsafe? I don't think they are they only ones confused....LOL...this thread is way out there
Old 03-15-12, 07:53 PM
KenMasters
Rookie

On the leaf springs, from what I know and understand. One is to remove every other leaf for lowering. Also not relevant.
I am really not sure if heating the coils changes the spring rate. I think it only changes the travel. Another thing I failed to mention about spring steel is that it is higher in carbon, and therefore heating it has the chance of tempering.( turning the metal brittle) Think of this before running over a set of railroad tracks in your "Slammed on a Budget" cruiser.

Last edited by KenMasters; 03-16-12 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-15-12, 09:34 PM
randee973
Pole Position

Lmfao what did I start ! I started this thread and I'm confused as ***** lol if it makes any1 happy I put in for some days off at work - hopefully they'll get approved that way I can throw the *****ing coils on ! Btw te heated springs are pretty good thus far !
Old 03-15-12, 10:08 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks cool but u shld slap the coils on when u can... Im not as seasoned as others and i know you say it rides fine but what kinda stress does this put on the rest of the front end components if any?

Anyways - have u ever seen Big Ang out there?
Old 03-15-12, 10:15 PM
trinimoe
Driver

Originally Posted by randee973
from what looks.. does it lead you to say that mr bay area lex ? lol my oh my this forum is full of blood suckers ! its my car ! if i want to gut the interior and drive on a bucket ! ill do so -- even tho your 2cents are appreciated ! didnt your parents teach u . if u have nothing good to say . keep it to your self ? on that note.. i never owned a honda - i have a job - wrk overnight . through out the day i sleep and then go right back to work ! soo i dont have time to go spend a ARM AND A LEG on tools ! or time to torch my car MR BAYAREALEX . but if u want me to torch yours ? let me know ill request a day off to help you out ! ..
LMAOOOOO!!!! clublexus is getting funnier everyday....i know i read that he has some coilovers in a box, theirs no difference if he had a new set of tires and decide to burn some rubber knowing that he was gonna change them, you all need to stop catching feelings for cars you all don't own
Old 03-15-12, 10:39 PM
randee973
Pole Position

Yea your right I'm sure it does add stress to other components ! Ang na haven't ran into him undo u ask
Old 03-15-12, 10:59 PM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lmfaoooo,

I hope the noobs on the forum do not follow this and torch their springs.

True it's the OP's car and he can do whatever he wants. But, there's ppl on here giving props and saying 's acceptable. This is sad...

I joined CL about 4 years ago. I learned alot of valuable tips in the diy section. I come to this forum daily to see peoples builds and gain inspiration.

This thread is a joke... lol
Old 03-15-12, 11:15 PM
randee973
Pole Position

Originally Posted by /209JOHN\
lmfaoooo,

I hope the noobs on the forum do not follow this and torch their springs.

True it's the OP's car and he can do whatever he wants. But, there's ppl on here giving props and saying 's acceptable. This is sad...

I joined CL about 4 years ago. I learned alot of valuable tips in the diy section. I come to this forum daily to see peoples builds and gain inspiration.

This thread is a joke... lol
Lol I'm glad you got your laughs out of It cus I created it n I sure did
Old 03-15-12, 11:25 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone have a DIY video on how to torch springs on the car ??
Old 03-15-12, 11:35 PM
randee973
Pole Position

Originally Posted by clos430
Does anyone have a DIY video on how to torch springs on the car ??
Lmfaoooo I'll upload one tomorrow !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: boring day so i decided to burn my springs !