GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

AUX input for under $5.00*** You guys wont be disappointed Pic intensive

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-12, 05:41 PM
aEO 37
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked GS
Need the blank audio track ... seems to be down? not loading when i try to download it
Think it was posted before in this thread but an easier way instead of downloading a silent cd is to just flip a cd in you cd changer upside down and load it. It will display and error message on the screen but it will work
Old 09-16-12, 07:26 PM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=aEO 37;7488177]Think it was posted before in this thread but an easier way instead of downloading a silent cd is to just flip a cd in you cd changer upside down and load it. It will display and error message on the screen but it will work[/QUOT

Yup... got the answer
Old 09-17-12, 03:06 AM
SidhuGs300
Pole Position

Thank you for the information sir, I have a fellow member do this for me, everything works, except my aftermarket sub doesn't work with the setup. If you guys do not want to use a blank cd, you can also put the cassette tape adapter for mp3 in the cassette area and it will work perfectly.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Auto-Cas...item3f15b48d04
Old 09-19-12, 12:28 PM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sam12345
Just record one track as silent and put the cd on repeat. Or you can do what I did. Put a tape inthe cassete player that is one of the tapes you use to play the iPod but remove the head out of the tape, then you just play the silent tape
I wanna do it this way, but Im having a hard time following....

So I understand the removing the head, but how does it work? U still splice into the same wires for the CD changer and press tape?

And on the wiring, do I just tap into the wires for speaker Right/left +/-? In other words cut the wires and connect them to the adaptor the wire that was cut do I just tape it off or connect it to the new adaptor and wire?
Old 09-19-12, 12:42 PM
whytry
Advanced

Are you taking the metal head out of the tape so you don't get the hiss? I want to be able to keep all 6 CD's able to play, but want the IPOD to work too. So I can basically put in the dummy tape because the IPOD plays regardless of what function of the radio I am using? Is that correct? So by pressing tape there is no sound except for the IPOD's audio?

And just want to clarify the wiring splice into and rejoin or splice and replace with new adaptor wire and tape off other end of speaker wires I cut?

THX, gonna do this tonight!!
Old 09-19-12, 09:27 PM
whytry
Advanced

My radio turns on m even shows its playing a cd but no sound.... Any ideas? Plead help. Doing it now!!!
Old 09-19-12, 09:46 PM
whytry
Advanced

Figured it out. I didn't know the stereo cable had to be plugged into complete the circuit... Works great
Old 09-20-12, 01:39 AM
JayNunu
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, great DIY. I did the same thing to my Infiniti a few months back.
Been thinking about doing it to my GS and came across your post.

I want to use the panel mount jack for the input and want to try to stay away from relays and all that mess and I like how you did it but I'm curious why you have it hooked up the way you do. The jack itself is only a 3 conductor plug. On the jack pin 1 is Ground. Pin 2 is one positive output, Pin 3 is the input of pin 2 when no plug is in the jack, Pin 5 is the other positive output, and Pin 4 is the input of pin 5 when there is no plug in the jack.

With no plug in the jack : 4 is connected to 5 and 2 is connected to 3. 1 is to ground.
With a plug in the jack : 4 and 3 are open connected to nothing, 5 and 2 are connected to the plug. 1 is to ground.

So my question to the OP is why do you have 3 and 4 connected to the negative side of the wires when they don't do anything when a plug is inserted into the jack? The jack is meant to interrupt the positive signal coming from 3 and 4 and use the plugs positive signal on 5 and 2. The ground is shared coming from the headphone plug.
Old 09-22-12, 04:09 PM
vipXjunky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i tried doing this...i just cant seem to find out why, every time i hook my ground wire, the left side of my speaker stops working.
Old 09-22-12, 06:29 PM
Sheehan1p
★ I

Bbrolex make sure to check your solder points you made in the headphone jack that's weird that it happens though..
Old 09-25-12, 04:52 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by whytry
I wanna do it this way, but Im having a hard time following....

So I understand the removing the head, but how does it work? U still splice into the same wires for the CD changer and press tape?

And on the wiring, do I just tap into the wires for speaker Right/left +/-? In other words cut the wires and connect them to the adaptor the wire that was cut do I just tape it off or connect it to the new adaptor and wire?
You do what the op says but you put the tape in when you want to play the aux. get one of those tape that are used to play the iPod through the tape player. Unscrew the screws that hold it together. Remove the head and wires but leave the rest of the mechanism. Now the tape player will activate when you put the tape in and you will hear you aux

In other words the tape is used instead of the blank cd
Old 09-25-12, 04:57 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whytry
Are you taking the metal head out of the tape so you don't get the hiss? I want to be able to keep all 6 CD's able to play, but want the IPOD to work too. So I can basically put in the dummy tape because the IPOD plays regardless of what function of the radio I am using? Is that correct? So by pressing tape there is no sound except for the IPOD's audio?

And just want to clarify the wiring splice into and rejoin or splice and replace with new adaptor wire and tape off other end of speaker wires I cut?

THX, gonna do this tonight!!
Yes I removed the head so there would be no hiss. There is still a slight humm if the volume is real loud but if you turn on the Dolby it gets rid of that without affecting the quality of your aux sound because that goes straight to the amp. Also when you ground the aux wire ground it to the amp ground screw so you don't get an alternator whine
Old 09-26-12, 05:14 AM
aEO 37
Driver

Originally Posted by BBRolex
i tried doing this...i just cant seem to find out why, every time i hook my ground wire, the left side of my speaker stops working.
LOL I actually have the same problem, it also happens when I use my car charger. Been to lazy to find out the cause

Think it might be my crappy soldering though.

I hooked up my ground to the cd changer bolt. Is this where everyone else is grounding it
Old 09-26-12, 04:35 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aEO 37
LOL I actually have the same problem, it also happens when I use my car charger. Been to lazy to find out the cause

Think it might be my crappy soldering though.

I hooked up my ground to the cd changer bolt. Is this where everyone else is grounding it
Best ground to use is the amp because that prevents a ground loop which is what causes alternator whine
Old 09-26-12, 09:34 PM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Creative thinking I like!

Quick Reply: AUX input for under $5.00*** You guys wont be disappointed Pic intensive