GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need some advice - new job includes more travel

Old 02-28-12, 06:12 AM
vasgs4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice - new job includes more travel

Hey Club Lex,

I need some advice. I just signed with a new company where I'll be doing a lot more sales and will have a territory across 8 states (WI, MN, ND, SD, NE, KS, MO, IL). I'm very excited about this opportunity, it's something I've wanted for quite some time.

My 04 GS430 has 127K miles on it now. In order to get her ready to be a road warrior, I'll need to change all the fluids/filters and put on new all season tires (snow tires and wheels are new). So, it'll cost me about $1000 to get it ready for the road and hopefully everything should be set until I do my next timing belt around 180-190K. I'll also need to update the NAVI DVD, I believe it's the original one from 2004, it's time to do that either way.

I love my car but this will pretty much kill it. I'll be putting on 30-40K/year and it's going to kill the car and the value of it.

So, do I keep the car or do I buy a Camry or an Accord or something? They are giving me a car allowance plus fuel expenses. BIG plus to the GS is how comfortable it is and how smooth it is on the hwy. I love the fact that I'm at 2500RPM's going 80.

Also - from some of you that have higher mileage GS430's, what type of issues have you ran into other than ball joints?

Thanks in advance.

Here is my car:
Old 02-28-12, 07:15 AM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I wouldnt kill the gs will all those miles. Rock chips and other road debris will destroy your paint. I would rather buy something smaller and better on gas and just use that.
Old 02-28-12, 08:33 AM
21SF
Driver

prius!!! lol
Old 02-28-12, 09:20 AM
vasgs4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS4_CS
I wouldnt kill the gs will all those miles. Rock chips and other road debris will destroy your paint. I would rather buy something smaller and better on gas and just use that.
Some parts of me agree with this, but at the same time, it's a $10K car at this point. If I put another 80K on it in a few years, it'll still be worth 5K even with the rock chips (which can always be repainted).

Originally Posted by 21SF
prius!!! lol
I don't want to go the Prius route. I'm 6'4, 245LB, so a car of good size is very important.

As long as I stay above 20MPG, I should be okay with pretty much anything. I've averaged 21.7 in the 11K miles I've had my GS so far.
Old 02-28-12, 09:39 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Putting miles and abuse on it is paying for itself. So getting another car wont really justify savings. Id just put the GS to work! Itll still have value at 180K.
Old 02-28-12, 10:24 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The car was made to be driven and enjoyed, drive it and enjoy!

When it is tired, get another....

You won't be happy in Camry, my mom and dad have an 09 Camry and I'll take my "old" 98 GS4 anyday over it, heck, I'll take my 94 Fleetwood Brougham with the 7000 lb tow package or 2000 Buick Park Avenue Ultra over a 09 Camry, that car is BORING and DULL.
Old 02-28-12, 11:11 AM
AM21GS400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, don't kill the GS. Buy a cheap car that you know can take a beating like you said, an old civic or accord.
Old 02-28-12, 11:40 AM
850Lexus
Pole Position

I travel at least 50k miles/ yr. with my job. I have been doing it since 06 and started with a civic. I made an extra grand every pay check because of the mpg. Fell asleep at the wheel and...

So I picked up a 96 accord which gave me more room and I still made money off the MPG and drove it for a couple years.
I then bought my g35 back in 08 and never looked back the comfort level was well worth losing the added income from great MPG. And I enjoyed the drive again. I traded that in March of last year so my wife could have her a big SUV. We use this for traveling when together. 15 MPG avg.
When we are not traveling as a family I use my GS3 which was the wifes before I gave up my baby for my baby.

IMO the comfort and safety of the Lexus is well worth the loss of extra income. I am not too worried about the depreciation because I will keep this forever. My 2 year old will more than likely get this for a first car. I am already preparing for a 2jz swap as I am at 200k miles.

FYI I am 6'3 230 on a good day.
Good luck with your decision and may your travels be safer than mine have been!!

Last edited by 850Lexus; 02-28-12 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-28-12, 12:48 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I am more of a fan of the ride/car than fretting about mpg and driving a car that isn't fun and enjoyable, sorta self defeating.

FWIW a friend has a 06 E320 CDI for sale now, 38-40 mpg at 85 mph.....32 city.
Old 02-28-12, 12:53 PM
77i9
Lead Lap

I say drive the car. You didn't buy it because it gets good mileage right?
Now if you're talking about decreasing the resale value, then might as well sell the car now.
Enjoy your car now and don't worry about the resale value.
If you want better gas mileage, then 4 cylinders always beats 8 cylinders.
I don't want into the comfort debate because I think it's about personal preference.

Bottomline is keep and drive the GS.
Old 02-28-12, 02:12 PM
vasgs4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 850Lexus
I travel at least 50k miles/ yr. with my job. I have been doing it since 06 and started with a civic. I made an extra grand every pay check because of the mpg. Fell asleep at the wheel and...

So I picked up a 96 accord which gave me more room and I still made money off the MPG and drove it for a couple years.
I then bought my g35 back in 08 and never looked back the comfort level was well worth losing the added income from great MPG. And I enjoyed the drive again. I traded that in March of last year so my wife could have her a big SUV. We use this for traveling when together. 15 MPG avg.
When we are not traveling as a family I use my GS3 which was the wifes before I gave up my baby for my baby.

IMO the comfort and safety of the Lexus is well worth the loss of extra income. I am not too worried about the depreciation because I will keep this forever. My 2 year old will more than likely get this for a first car. I am already preparing for a 2jz swap as I am at 200k miles.

FYI I am 6'3 230 on a good day.
Good luck with your decision and may your travels be safer than mine have been!!
Thank you for your post, that helps a lot. I am leaning much more as this thread is, to keeping the car. It's comfortable, reliable, and decent on gas. I will not enjoy being in a Camry as much as I will being in this car. Hell, just the ML alone is a HUGE plus.

I will not get to pocket any more money if the car is good on gas or not, I just get an allowance plus fuel expenses so if the car gets 20MPG or 30MPG, I personally won't benefit. If I'd get allowance plus $XX/mile, it would be a different story.
Old 02-28-12, 02:44 PM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive it. I have done the summer/winter car thing, and I HATED driving the winter beater. It made the commute so much worse.

I'm not a huge fan of driving long distances, so I decided I wanted a luxury class car that would go the distance, keep my butt comfy, warm in winter, cool in summer, have good sound (and sound deadening), and be a joy to drive year round. I'm now on my second GS and have never looked back.

So yeah, unless you plan on selling it... my vote is to drive it into the ground. I just picked up my 2002 with around 130k for $8k, black on black, in fantastic shape, with absolutely no plans to sell. For this amount of cash layout, if I get 2 more years out of it without major repairs, I'll be happy as a clam.

Really nice looking GS btw
Old 02-28-12, 04:30 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with most here. Drive your car, enjoy it and be comfortable while working. No sence in getting a little 4 cylinder just to save on gas. It won't be the same feeling. While I was in Florida on vacation I had a Kia Soul as a rental for a week and that thing struggled to maintain 80mph on the highway. Not the kind of car you want to be driving 30k or 40k of highway driving a year.
Old 02-28-12, 05:49 PM
oki_boy
Pole Position

These cars shine on the highways. Drive that ish.
Old 02-28-12, 07:52 PM
LexiBlue
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep gs for weekend buy a 4 banger less on gas more money in ur pocket

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need some advice - new job includes more travel