Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Found a GS300, but now I need advice... (oil leak) *pic*

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-12, 01:46 PM   #1
PUREADDICT
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
PUREADDICT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SAC, CA
Posts: 488
PUREADDICT PUREADDICT PUREADDICT
Question Found a GS300, but now I need advice... (oil leak) *pic*

I finally found a GS within my budget, but there's an apparent oil leak. The whole front of the cover that houses the cam gears is caked in oil. I wish I took a pic, but I found this pic on google; just imagine a ton of nasty gunk, oil build up all over the red circle areas.

Click the image to open in full size.

I did a quick search and they said to change the usual cam seals, valve cover gasket, and some kind of VVT-i seal if I recall. My question is:
  1. Is this car salvageable and worth the fix?
  2. About how much total is it to change all the seals/gaskets to repair the leak(s)? (I will be doing all the work myself)

On top of that the car has 220k miles. I just don't want to buy this and have the engine give out on me or anything. My plan is to purchase it, repair it up to speed, and hope it lasts me another 100k miles. I'm not too familiar with the usual GS 300 "symptoms," so I was hoping you guys could enlighten me. Thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
PUREADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-12, 01:59 PM   #2
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)
 
DosyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PGH
Posts: 2,008
Sicily_Bronze
Default

Get a 400!.!.!.!.!.!.!!!
DosyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-12, 03:17 PM   #3
850Lexus
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 281
Default

JAWN unless you can contribute to anything more than a good laugh, DON'T POST!!!

If you can get the car for anything less than 5k it would be worth it. Yes you can fix this. I would imagine it should be no more than a grand if you are having someone else fix it. Not positive on price, I am putting it on the high side. I personally haven't had to yet and I am almost at the 200k mark.

Do make sure the front suspension is ok... good bushings! That is our biggest issues with this car.

Last edited by 850Lexus; 02-25-12 at 03:21 PM..
850Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-12, 03:25 PM   #4
repugnante
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 908
Default

definitely the cam seals, valve cover and vvti seals. That might fix your issue. Change out the ball joints too for good measure
repugnante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-12, 04:50 PM   #5
LexusBorn
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pa
Posts: 8
Default

Hmm that's a tough one to say, is it worth fixing with that much mileage, and what if god forbid the engine goes when u do get everything else fixed, that's a tough one man, have your mechanic thoroughly check the engine, why won't they come down on price? How much do they want?
LexusBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-12, 10:26 PM   #6
GS714
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
GS714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Little Saigon, SoCaLi
Posts: 255
Default He must be in Love (with Lexus I meant, Jkidding)

Everything with Toyota is cheap $$. Everything that involved with upscale and fancy are always **** to overpriced $$$$. Replacing a Lexus engine would cost somewhere around $1200-$2000. I am on a higher side on this one. Make some call, ask questions. Bring your trusted mechanic with you, have the car up on air if possible. Hell, I already put in two grand $$$$ within four months owning my lovely Lexus. (I thought only beautiful women impaired my judgement, .)
(P.S Just do it and get it out of your system, there are quite a few Lexus that have over 250K miles on the clock)

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/used/le...2102&rd=100000

Last edited by GS714; 02-25-12 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: add
GS714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-12, 11:25 PM   #7
PUREADDICT
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
PUREADDICT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SAC, CA
Posts: 488
PUREADDICT PUREADDICT PUREADDICT
Default

Thanks for the advice all. From the sound of it, I should expect to spend an extra $1000 to repair and update the car? If so, that's something I'd be willing to do.

@ GS714 I can't believe that GS has 350,000 miles...and still selling for about 4 grand!! I'm starting to be a true believer in the 2JZ platform.
PUREADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 12:50 AM   #8
GS714
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
GS714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Little Saigon, SoCaLi
Posts: 255
Default Pre Purchase Check List

Quote:
Originally Posted by dro916 View Post
Thanks for the advice all. From the sound of it, I should expect to spend an extra $1000 to repair and update the car? If so, that's something I'd be willing to do.

@ GS714 I can't believe that GS has 350,000 miles...and still selling for about 4 grand!! I'm starting to be a true believer in the 2JZ platform.
Since you like the car so much. Here is what you should do. Take the car to a Lexus/Toyota "X.pert" ( I crossed my 2 figures on that part ) Pay him an hour or two for the service charge and asked him to make a "PrePurchaseCheckList" They are everywhere in Orange County area. As with every car that was Made in Japan, it is the salt that eating the undercarriage and frame while the heart is still breathing. My first true love (picture from AutoSpec Info): My Dad paid $250 for my college commuted. Drove it for almost two years when I live in the Northeast. I got free A/C all year round even with the windows rolled up. One day the while driving home from the school, the two front wheels just departed and the engine was still running on the tarmac.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by GS714; 02-26-12 at 01:11 AM.. Reason: adding
GS714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 01:16 AM   #9
PUREADDICT
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
PUREADDICT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SAC, CA
Posts: 488
PUREADDICT PUREADDICT PUREADDICT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS714 View Post
Since you like the car so much. Here is what you should do. Take the car to a Lexus/Toyota "X.pert" ( I crossed my 2 figures on that part ) Pay him an hour or two for the service charge and asked him to make a "PrePurchaseCheckList" They are everywhere in Orange County area. As with every car that was Made in Japan, it is the salt that eating the undercarriage and frame while the heart is still breathing. My first true love (picture from AutoSpec Info): My Dad paid $250 for my college commuted. Drove it for almost two years when I live in the Northeast. I got free A/C all year round even with the windows rolled up. One day the while driving home from the school, the two front wheels just departed and the engine was still running on the tarmac.
Interesting. Thank you?
PUREADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 12:00 PM   #10
01LEXPL
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (9)
 
01LEXPL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada's Capital City
Posts: 4,019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by repugnante View Post
definitely the cam seals, valve cover and vvti seals. That might fix your issue. Change out the ball joints too for good measure
X2

Get them at Rockauto.com for less than 100$ realistically.

I had this on my Dads RX, had timing belt don't but didn't have valve cover seals. Since the front one was removed as part of the procedure, it began to leak since I had the old one. A new seal fixed it - an its exactly what youre describing in the beginning of te thread.
01LEXPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 12:08 PM   #11
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (12)
 
LuxuryGS3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 2,183
dcoffeyvip
Default

To do the cam seals you're going to need to take off just about everything, so honestly if you're doing all the work i'd do EVERYTHING.

- Water Pump
- Timing Belt
- VVTi Cam (I just recently found a few posts while searching around that said their actual cam was causing a leak)
- Cam Gear Seals
- Valve Cover Gaskets
- Crankshaft Seal

I just dropped $650 at my mechanic for cam seals, water pump, timing belt the later part of last year and have seemed to be having a leak from the crankshaft down at the bottom as of lately, so now i'm probably going to have to dish out more just to take off all that crap again to get to it. I'd do it all once while everything is off so you don't have to worry about it again for a while.
__________________
My Official Build Thread
"All in the game, yo."
LuxuryGS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 12:35 PM   #12
PUREADDICT
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
PUREADDICT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SAC, CA
Posts: 488
PUREADDICT PUREADDICT PUREADDICT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01LEXPL View Post
X2

Get them at Rockauto.com for less than 100$ realistically.

I had this on my Dads RX, had timing belt don't but didn't have valve cover seals. Since the front one was removed as part of the procedure, it began to leak since I had the old one. A new seal fixed it - an its exactly what youre describing in the beginning of te thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3 View Post
To do the cam seals you're going to need to take off just about everything, so honestly if you're doing all the work i'd do EVERYTHING.

- Water Pump
- Timing Belt
- VVTi Cam (I just recently found a few posts while searching around that said their actual cam was causing a leak)
- Cam Gear Seals
- Valve Cover Gaskets
- Crankshaft Seal

I just dropped $650 at my mechanic for cam seals, water pump, timing belt the later part of last year and have seemed to be having a leak from the crankshaft down at the bottom as of lately, so now i'm probably going to have to dish out more just to take off all that crap again to get to it. I'd do it all once while everything is off so you don't have to worry about it again for a while.

Thanks guys, I'll def check out RockAuto. And I'll see if she changed any of those listed above, and if she didn't I'll replace them myself.
PUREADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 12:38 PM   #13
PUREADDICT
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
PUREADDICT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SAC, CA
Posts: 488
PUREADDICT PUREADDICT PUREADDICT
Default

I forgot to ask, would it matter what brand seals/gaskets I get for this car?
PUREADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 02:08 PM   #14
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (12)
 
LuxuryGS3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 2,183
dcoffeyvip
Default

I believe all of them are OEM if ordered off of RockAuto.
__________________
My Official Build Thread
"All in the game, yo."
LuxuryGS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 02:26 PM   #15
kdick91
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 152
Default

You can remove the top piece of that plastic (the timing cover) pretty easily. As previously mentioned, take a mechanic with you to look at it. Regardless of what GS you get, taking all that front stuff off HAS to be done about every 100k miles to change the timing belt. I wouldn't let that deter you form buying the car, but make sure it is mechanically sound. A leak is just a leak as long as someone is putting more oil back in. Good luck with your buy!
kdick91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 02:26 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Necessary repairs for a 98 GS300 with 154K miles tdolinar GS - Second Generation 8 07-25-14 12:59 AM
120K Service help needed Banglabhai GS - Second Generation 3 04-22-14 10:09 PM
New valve cover gasket, cam seals and VVT-i pulley FrankT GS - Second Generation 6 03-12-12 11:13 PM
1998 gs300 oil leak michael024 GS - Second Generation 4 01-01-12 10:48 PM
98 gs400 camshaft seals razey GS - Second Generation 2 04-03-11 06:00 PM


Tags
00, 1998, 2000, cam, control, cover, gasket, gs300, is300, leak, lexus, oil, replacement, seals, valve, vvit

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:38 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info