GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Considering doing an NA-T build to my GS | Boost Logic Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-12, 09:46 AM
SmokeyGS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering doing an NA-T build to my GS | Boost Logic Kit

Hey Guys, Im toying with the idea of boosting my low and slow. The GS is an awesome car but barely gets out its own way. I would like to feed it some speed without going overboard. I do daily drive the GS, which means taking my kids to school picking them up etc. So it has to be reliable. My car currently has 82k miles, but is very highly maintained and immaculate.

I am considering doing a bolt on kit by Boost Logic.

This kit contains everything you need to convert your Non Turbo MKIV Supra or SC300 into a turbo charged sleeper. The Stage I Kit enables you to make upwards of 300RWHP at 7psi.

List of parts included:

Boost Logic Ceramic Heat Coated 321SS Tubular Manifold 1 5/8" Tubing and 1/2" Thick 321SS Flanges (Turbo's with a 4" inlet clears the distributor. Manifold fits a turbo up to a T76)
T61 .58A/R Ptrim Turbo w/ T4 flange
HKS 40mm Wastegate
3" SS304 Polished Downpipe w/ Flex Joint
3" SS304 Polished Midpipe
SS304 Polished Dump Tube
3" Polished Aluminum Intake Pipe
Boost Logic 750HP Front Mount Intercooler Kit
2.5" Mandrel Bent Aluminum Intercooler Piping
4 Ply Silicone Couplings
Stainless Steel Hose Clamps
Boost Logic NA-T SS Braided Oil Feed and Return Kit w/ Aeroquip fittings
3" K&N Filter
K&N Breathers
Walbro GSS341 255HP Fuel Pump w/ Install Kit
All necessary clamps and bolts for installation

My question is, will this be a safe set up in terms of reliability? What else will be needed? I know a AEM piggy back, AEM v1/v2, HKS VPRO, PROEFI or Halltech will be needed for tunability.

What am i missing here?? Do I need to RUN an exhaust?? will OEM work. Im not looking to build a race car, just something quicker than what I have now. The GE motor put down what 170RWHP? 300RWHP is more than enough for my zipping around Miami.

Anyone care to shed some insight on my idea? Should I do it or not??

Thanks!!
Old 02-08-12, 09:53 AM
ksu1998
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

exhaust will help. Injector upgrade>?

I pick up my son in my na-t i stay out of boost with him in the car I have 375ish to wheels
Old 02-08-12, 04:14 PM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BoostLogic is definitely top quality stuff....They've done a ton of NA-T kits....you could definitely call and talk to them about your goals and then get their recommendations for setups.
Old 02-08-12, 05:02 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

The down pipe and mid pipe will have to be chopped up and modified, the intercooler and piping is not going to bolt up either, so more modifications needed there. At that point it's just as easy to use universal parts and make them work.

Other than the piping it's just a bunch of basic parts, a small turbo (which is fine if 300hp will work for you, I guarantee it won't be after 2 months), 2.5" piping, and a manifold that was designed for clearance of the distributor on the non-vvti GE..

It does not come with any engine management, boost gauge, wideband, wg dumptube, or fuel return system.. It's by no means everything you'll need to bolt on a turbo kit and drive it.

At like $5000 your not getting much of a start, your better off source all the parts to your build's needs.

If it was a bolt-on kit for the gs, then it could have a bit of 'convenience' value to make up the cost, but it not a bolt on, and not complete.

You can pretty much buy everything you would need to do a complete turbo install for the same money (excluding any labor or welding you can't do yourself)..

Last edited by 99 GS3; 02-08-12 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-08-12, 05:58 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

this is exactly what i need to know, i really wanna na-t my car now that everything else is done. i was looking at driftmotions kit (http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...-1turbokit.php) and got some good responces, but it too is not a complete kit. but it is much cheaper. what is a reasonable cost estimate for a na-t set-up for a goal of 300hp and superior reliability? thanks
Old 02-08-12, 09:11 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
this is exactly what i need to know, i really wanna na-t my car now that everything else is done. i was looking at driftmotions kit (http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...-1turbokit.php) and got some good responces, but it too is not a complete kit. but it is much cheaper. what is a reasonable cost estimate for a na-t set-up for a goal of 300hp and superior reliability? thanks
You're not going to find a 100% complete kit anywhere. SRT sells the most complete kit but you still have to fab up your intercooler piping, exhaust and you would need to get an intercooler. Their kit goes for $6k. You're better off sourcing your own parts and putting together a kit, find a reputable shop that will do your welding or if you know someone who can weld that's a plus for you. It sounds like you're either on a budget or you're not looking to spend a whole lot because you're not looking for "big" power. Be ready to spend because a RELIABLE na-t set up will NOT be cheap.

Also check out clubna-t.com for those XS Power kits that could save you a little $$$.........

Last edited by puff; 02-08-12 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-08-12, 09:14 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd just do a straight GTE drop in.
Old 02-08-12, 10:28 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Still need to fab up a front mount intercooler set + piping and downpipe/midpipe for GTE swap. Most of the GTE motorsets I've seen don't come with either unless you buy a front clip or something.

Also, he has a 03 GS which has the newer style harness. By no means will it by anywhere near a drop in project with that harness.
Old 02-08-12, 10:46 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

I got an intercooler and piping for sale if you need em
Old 02-09-12, 04:34 PM
850Lexus
Pole Position

Has anyone heard of the XSPower's kit by clubna-t??? I like the IM they have, that moves the intake piping off the turbo.
Old 02-09-12, 06:23 PM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of guys have used the XSPower manifold with good results....but I don't think I would trust their turbo...I'd go with a Borg-Warner or Precision for that.
Old 02-09-12, 08:00 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 850Lexus
Has anyone heard of the XSPower's kit by clubna-t??? I like the IM they have, that moves the intake piping off the turbo.

Well it's cheap, I suppose that is a plus.

Otherwise it is just a pipe, it is setup for an accufab throttle body has no throttle cable mount, sensor or vac provisions, and doesn't even have velocity stacks. You would have to modify it to run a GTE or Q45 t-body on it. It is pretty much a blank slate for a full custom build which is fine, but the OP seems to be looking for the most bolt on solution.

Otherwise the tons of various other FFIM's on ebay that are cheaper and have velocity stacks if you were going to still be modifying it for your install anyway..

The SRT FFIM is probably the best one available for the GE the is a DIRECT BOLT-ON installation. Expensive at $2000, but it's full kit that also includes fuel rail, throttlebody, and throttle cable.

Last edited by 99 GS3; 02-09-12 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-09-12, 09:13 PM
chknlittle
Pole Position

Have you considered super charger? Juss sayn.....
Old 02-10-12, 07:10 AM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chknlittle
Have you considered super charger? Juss sayn.....
That's a waste of time and money.
Old 02-13-12, 07:15 AM
SmokeyGS
Pole Position

Seems like there is alot more to it. Kinda scaring me a bit from doing it. Going to look into SRT setup.

Quick Reply: Considering doing an NA-T build to my GS | Boost Logic Kit