GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DBS Hot Version GS430

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-12, 09:13 AM
DBSedan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DBS Hot Version GS430

Hi guys. Just making an intro post.

I'm Bill from DeathBySedan.com and JZXProject. I'm from Ottawa, Ontario Canada and have owned at least 40 cars and casually drive at the track doing lapping or drifting.

Been a dream to have a 2GS since highschool when the GS400 came out and the car was really appealing to me. I've built a few swapped Toyotas and Mazdas but decided to actually buy a decent car for once. I got lucky on a really amazing deal on a low mileage (85K mile) Silver on grey/wood non-perfed non-nav 2002 GS430 with wing for under $9k.

Just looking for tech tips and the usual. I'm used to more hardcore forums where things aren't so formal but I'll behave. I'm a guy who has done a LOT of fabrication and I don't mind cutting, welding and reverse engineering things to work exactly how I like it.

Plan on owning this car for a long time. My last Lexus was a yellow IS300 auto I tracked a number of times (lapping and drifting) so I think I'm going to have some work to do if I want this car to feel more like that IS.

Plans are pretty sedate for this car. I already have an aggressive built VVTi 1JZGTE JZX83 Cressida/Cresta street going ex project track car so this car will be more like light mod all-weather full versatility stockish but still fun. I'm not a VIP fan, I like cars that ride like stock but do more from the drivers seat.

Already bought Tanabe DF springs, a Blitz Throttle Controller (350Z application since the UZS160 application is not available anymore, more on that later if it works) and 255/40/17 Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tires for my 9j +30 17" R33 GTR winter rims and a 10mm rear spacer. Will probably go with an 18x9.5/10.5 setup for summer, maybe some Work Emotion CR-Kai Ultimate GTS, I run 18" tires on my other car so I'd like to have tire options.

My commitment to trying to make the car fun and usable plus sticking to Japan market tuning parts and keeping it simple has me wanting to nickname this the "Hot Version" GS430. It's just a plan I'd like to stick to for this car. I know this isn't a touge monster build or car, but the philosophy is the same as Keiichi Tsuchiya follows from Best Motoring and Hot Version videos.

I'll stick around in this forum if I find it useful. thanks for reading if you made it this far
Old 01-25-12, 09:28 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Welcome to CL bill... Sounds like you been around modding for quite some time.. Great looking GS... Some great info on here from swaps to installing brakes... Welcome
Old 01-25-12, 09:46 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice pick up bro.
Old 01-25-12, 10:36 AM
ls400love
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice find keep us updated with your progress.
Old 01-25-12, 10:37 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

nice l-tuned GS430

BTW return that 350z throttle controller and buy the SC430 one since we both share the same motors...
Old 01-25-12, 10:39 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Congrats on the new ride. Looks nice and clean. Welcome to CL. You will be able to find a lot of info here.
Old 01-25-12, 10:55 AM
DBSedan
Driver School Candidate

sakataj, I couldn't get the SC430 application either.

Only reason I got the 350Z unit is because it's literally the same part number from Blitz and the same potentiometer sensor on the pedal and plug so I should work no problem. if not i'll just sell it to a 350Z dude and try something else. if the throttle map is wrong becasue there is a difference in the pedal, I'll just buy a 350Z pedal. it's not that big a deal. I just hate the e-throttle a LOT.

And what is the deal with the L-tuned badge on it. Is this actually factory, I thought L-Tuned was just a parts lineup available for these cars. Is there such thing as an L-Tuned factory model, I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary on this car other then some blue brake pads I haven't looked at yet.

expected you would be on here Jimmy.

thanks guys.
Old 01-25-12, 11:44 AM
lo_dit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice pickup, heading in a good direction!
Old 01-25-12, 11:53 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Welcome and congrats on your GS!
Old 01-25-12, 12:40 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

wELCOME to CL Bill....nice looking ride...you can't get better than silver...keep us informed on the progress
Old 01-25-12, 12:41 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice and clean. Welcome.
Old 01-25-12, 12:43 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Ottawa? Small world... You on any of the local forums?
Old 01-25-12, 01:36 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DBSedan
And what is the deal with the L-tuned badge on it. Is this actually factory, I thought L-Tuned was just a parts lineup available for these cars. Is there such thing as an L-Tuned factory model, I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary on this car other then some blue brake pads I haven't looked at yet.
it was a add on factory option..... no real such thing as a L-Tuned factory model just add on accessories. i dunno what options that one has without physically looking over it.

L-tuned upgrades could be bought separately or as a package

they had

the still craved after steering ecu
sideskirts (very well sought after and IMHO flow so well with the OEM body lines)
exhaust
grill
lowering springs
shocks
several styles of wheels

see i forget the difference in the l-sportine and l-tuned if they were both factory accessories or what they were but they both gone now

actually found this quote while trying to find the L-tuned brochure

Originally Posted by salimshah
"L-Tuned" was a term set by Lexus when they introduced GS 2nd gen (back in 1998) and brought to market Lexus designed after market parts (They were still produced by lexus). Ltuned suspension, radiator caps, and aero-kits (side-skirts, bumper) etc ... [Similar to AMG or "M" but no change in engine or ecu or transmission]. IN few years it faded off as my opinion demographically the L-Tuned customer base was very small.

Last edited by sakataj; 01-25-12 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-25-12, 02:10 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Brian, I don't believe L-Sportline options were offered at the dealer, but I'm pretty sure RMM was.
Old 01-25-12, 04:02 PM
AristoKing
Instructor

Originally Posted by DBSedan
This is a dumb question... But I've always wanted to know that thing in front of the head light on the front bumper, what is it, what is it called and what is it for? I've seen them on a few cars but I don't know what it's for. Can someone please shed some light on this for me thanks

OP - Very nice GS welcome to the CL family guarantee all your lexus GS questions will be answer here.

Quick Reply: DBS Hot Version GS430