GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2001 Tails

Old 01-18-12, 06:21 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok thanks for the explanation.

I have a Euro GS and purchased Euro 01+ tails. I have just checked and the black wire on the outer bulb seems to be wired on my tails (I pulled on them)

Here is a (crappy) pic :

I won't be 100% sure until I install the tails this weekend. But here's my reasoning: Euro & Australian tails are wired because our inner (trunk) lights are used for fogs. So that's 2 less brake lights and having the outer bulbs act as brake lights too, well it compensates.

I am going to do the fog to brake light conversion, though (with a toggle "on-on" switch to choose between inner fogs or inner brake lights). So I have 3 brake lights per side + the high-mount brake light.

EDIT:

I may be wrong. This guy from Estonia doesn't have the outer bulb coming on when braking...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gaOQTXjodw

Last edited by YviE; 01-18-12 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-18-12, 06:42 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I think what I was seeing earlier was that the black is there at the socket on all of them, I know mine is there just like your pic, but what was shown that if you cut back the wire sleeve the black wire doesn't go anywhere. That's why the confusion came about if it should be working or not since the socket, bulb, and wire are all there. Since they are out of the car you can easily check with a meter if you don't want to cut back the sleeve yet.

And a question about the rear fogs, does the car have a factory switch on the dash some where to turn on the trunk fog lights? In stock form is that the only way they come on is manually? Do they work with and without any other lighting turned on?

You got a pic of the factory rear fog switch on the dash if there is one? I'd be interested to see where it is.

On another note about your rear fog wiring conversion, I have the rear fog lenses installed on my car (I got them because they are more clear\less diffused than the stock ones in the US) and they came with 623 single filament bulbs/sockets, but our trunk lights which work as both parking and brake here have a 7443 dual filament bulb/socket. Just to throw it out there the socket hole in both types of trunk lenses were the same so I used the 7443 bulb sockets in the rear fog lenses. So if your looking to do a rear fog conversion like in the video above you can put a 7443 socket from your old taillights your taking out and wire it to the trunk lid to give you dual filament operation if you want.. Though you probally already know they fit as it's a common mod in your area, but thought I share incase you weren't aware.

Last edited by 99 GS3; 01-18-12 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-18-12, 06:44 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. It's probably the same as yours then.

This is the switch we have.

Took this pic from Airestonia's thread :

BTW the switch next to it is for the headlights washers (HID equipped cars only).
Old 01-18-12, 08:05 AM
850Lexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great another thing I am going to want to mod!!! Thanks. lol
Old 01-18-12, 08:06 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Just wondering... but not just connect the black wire ends. Wouldn't that be simpler than tapping into the other wire?

Originally Posted by 850Lexus
Great another thing I am going to want to mod!!! Thanks. lol
It never ends, doesn't it?

Last edited by YviE; 01-18-12 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-18-12, 02:42 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

^^ In that pic had just cut the black wire, as it had no connection, it must end further down the harness somewhere. So he cut it and tapped it in to the adjacent socket.
Old 04-19-12, 05:27 PM
ShellWeezy
Rookie

Great write up .. Worked beautifully on the depo led's
Old 04-19-12, 06:06 PM
LexiGS4ty
Rookie

For guys with 98 Tails the two up top on outer tails light up when you press the brake, if you do that quick DIY posted earlier.

Instead of the two lower lights on outer tails and inner tails which is 4 lighting up after rewiring them will get you all 6 to light up once brake is applied.
Old 04-20-12, 01:16 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

^^we didn't even get the two upper lights on the outers on the 98-00 models. I was going to do that on my 99 GS3. I bought the sockets and that's when I noticed that the holes weren't even there!
Old 04-22-12, 08:02 AM
LexiGS4ty
Rookie

Originally Posted by YviE
^^we didn't even get the two upper lights on the outers on the 98-00 models. I was going to do that on my 99 GS3. I bought the sockets and that's when I noticed that the holes weren't even there!
Really? I saw it on BananaGS' DIY page, opened up the tails, spliced the black wire and green/white wire connect them together tape em back and it worked! Wish I could show you a pic somehow lol
Old 04-23-12, 12:00 AM
lunatyk
Lead Lap

Nice. Doing this soon too
Old 05-01-12, 11:27 PM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

99 GS3, since my inners only serve as fogs, I had to rewire them. Now they work as parking and fogs.

My euro inners came with 7443 bulbs (the harness of the inners even have 3 wires).

I never knew the inner lenses were different but the euro ones seem to light up more "oval".
Old 05-01-12, 11:34 PM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Look at the outer edges of the inners, they do not light up. Is this the same as on the US inners?

Compared to:
Originally Posted by ****-adkt

Last edited by YviE; 05-02-12 at 01:42 AM.
Old 10-28-12, 06:33 AM
AndrewThai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YviE
Ok thanks for the explanation.

I have a Euro GS and purchased Euro 01+ tails. I have just checked and the black wire on the outer bulb seems to be wired on my tails (I pulled on them)

Here is a (crappy) pic :

I won't be 100% sure until I install the tails this weekend. But here's my reasoning: Euro & Australian tails are wired because our inner (trunk) lights are used for fogs. So that's 2 less brake lights and having the outer bulbs act as brake lights too, well it compensates.

I am going to do the fog to brake light conversion, though (with a toggle "on-on" switch to choose between inner fogs or inner brake lights). So I have 3 brake lights per side + the high-mount brake light.

EDIT:

I may be wrong. This guy from Estonia doesn't have the outer bulb coming on when braking...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gaOQTXjodw
Sorry to bump up an old thread but did you end up doing this mod? I'm from Australia and was planning on doing this mod for my rear fog lights as well but I wouldn't know how to go about it. I was thinking about ditching the whole idea of a rear fog light switch and just connecting the inner lights to the outer ones so they act the same way the outer brake lights do, as the rear fogs in my car came with a dual filament bulb as standard.
Old 11-01-12, 05:14 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

No I actually never hooked up the inners. I left them as fog lights.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Tails