GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I need advice bad!! I dont want to downgrade!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-11, 09:05 PM
marus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need advice bad!! I dont want to downgrade!!

so this is my story....... I just bought a new set of rims and they are huge.....they are 20 x10.5 +10 and the rears are 20x12 +6........ i managed to get the rears to fit and now im trying to get the fronts to fit..... the fronts seem to behaving problems because this wheel is a low disk wheel which is having issues mounting without spacers with my ls400 brake up grade......... i love my brake up grade and i would hate to have to down grade....... but what would you guys think......

options i thought about............

1) but a 12mm spacer with extended studs on the front ( im just afraid that may cause it to poke out way too much)

2) of course downgrade ( but i figured i manage to go through the headache of putting them why downgrade)

3) shave part of the caliper down just a smige ( i heard that its been done before but im not sure if thats a safe route)

4) buy smaller lips for the front ( which will cost me $600) and use spacers to clear

Last edited by marus; 03-10-12 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-21-11, 11:22 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Should have done a research before buying those wheels. Gonna be some mad stretch and some fender pulling.
Old 12-21-11, 11:33 PM
BlKTC
Driver

this isn't a big deal.. just use a spacer..

as far as poke, try looking into aftermarket widened fenders.
Old 12-21-11, 11:42 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by marus
so this is my story....... I just bought a new set of rims and they are huge.....they are 20 x10.5 +10 and the rears are 20x12 +6........ i managed to get the rears to fit and now im trying to get the fronts to fit..... the fronts seem to behaving problems because this wheel is a low disk wheel which is having issues mounting without spacers with my ls400 brake up grade......... i love my brake up grade and i would hate to have to down grade....... but what would you guys think......

options i thought about............

1) but a 12mm spacer with extended studs on the front ( im just afraid that may cause it to poke out way too much)

2) of course downgrade ( but i figured i manage to go through the headache of putting them why downgrade)

3) shave part of the caliper down just a smige ( i heard that its been done before but im not sure if thats a safe route)

4) buy smaller lips for the front ( which will cost me $600) and use spacers to clear

LOLOL you are crazy!!!! Just make the car fit the wheels bro, or sell the front lips and get a tad bit smaller.

thumbup: for being daring.

Let us see those bad boys...... They look a bit like mine from this angle but cccccrrrraaazyy aggressive
Old 12-22-11, 06:15 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Major stretch....
Old 12-22-11, 09:21 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

are the rear wheels low disk as well like the fronts or maybe high disk/regular? if so swap the faces.

then add spacers.. or maybe just re barrel
Old 12-22-11, 12:34 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

how much room do u need to clear the ls calipers? i'd get smaller lips as well.
Old 12-22-11, 01:03 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Pics of the rears on the car! non air? ...you sir i give props to
Old 12-22-11, 02:15 PM
Lextasy671
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn you got wide sets there. hahaha..headaches! "Oni Camber" time! youll need to find out how much space you need to clear..i would think a 3mm or 5mm spacer, but check.
Old 12-22-11, 02:39 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would just downgrade the brakes and take the easy way out (assuming the OE brakes are small enough to clear the low-disk). I would probably cost you about $1000 to get longer studs, press out and install new studs, get spacers and smaller lip. In my mind totally not worth it.

and definitely DO NOT grind down the caliper to make it fit. A friend of mine bought a used set of LS calipers that were grinded down and even though not much was grinded off there was a small pinhole leak.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ference-4.html

Originally Posted by SorrGwa
FML

After changing and rebuilding my master brake cylinder, and doing all the cutting and fitting needed, this happens.

passenger front ls400 caliper is screwed, i didnt noticed it til now but the side was grinded down, and the wall was so thin that it burst a pin hole leak!

arg, sourcing out a new front passenger caliper, gonna put things back to my stock GS brake system for now.
Old 12-22-11, 03:45 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sell the wheels...sell all those goddamm filas and buy new shoes...for ur car and ur feet!
Old 12-22-11, 08:00 PM
marus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Should have done a research before buying those wheels. Gonna be some mad stretch and some fender pulling.
exactly the plan... i rolled and pulled the rear fenders and made the rears work and so that what i hope on doing with the fronts.

Originally Posted by BlKTC
this isn't a big deal.. just use a spacer..

as far as poke, try looking into aftermarket widened fenders.
i definitely want to avoid too much poke on the front but also want to avoid the after market fenders aswell....... im hoping i can roll and pull the front fenders and call it a day but it alot of poke to cover

Originally Posted by nar8ta
LOLOL you are crazy!!!! Just make the car fit the wheels bro, or sell the front lips and get a tad bit smaller.

thumbup: for being daring.

Let us see those bad boys...... They look a bit like mine from this angle but cccccrrrraaazyy aggressive
when you say a tad bit smaller what do you have in mind? half an in smaller or inches smaller? my fronts currently have a 4.5 in lip..... and I do think we have the same wheels too..... symbolic sl-15..... may be we can trade lips if you wanted a bigger lip lol

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Major stretch....
im running 245 35 in the rear and i dont think i can get anything smaller..... i currently have the same 245 35 in the fronts but im going to take those tires back and get may be 225 35?

Originally Posted by vwynn
are the rear wheels low disk as well like the fronts or maybe high disk/regular? if so swap the faces.

then add spacers.. or maybe just re barrel
they are both low disk...... i tried an 8mm spacer and it wasnt enough i then tried an 20mm and it was too much poke ....... i just bought a set of 15mm spacer and extended studs and im hoping it works

Originally Posted by 5t341th
how much room do u need to clear the ls calipers? i'd get smaller lips as well.
i honestly dont want to get a smaller lip..... i want that to be like my 2nd to last option and especially cause its an extra $600

Originally Posted by Anthony
Pics of the rears on the car! non air? ...you sir i give props to
yes this a non air ride..... complete static...... pics of the rears coming soon

Originally Posted by Lextasy671
damn you got wide sets there. hahaha..headaches! "Oni Camber" time! youll need to find out how much space you need to clear..i would think a 3mm or 5mm spacer, but check.
nope ima need a little more then that to clear..... those ls calipers are no joke...... as far as cambering goes i think its going to be inevitable i cambered enough at as it is lol

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
I would just downgrade the brakes and take the easy way out (assuming the OE brakes are small enough to clear the low-disk). I would probably cost you about $1000 to get longer studs, press out and install new studs, get spacers and smaller lip. In my mind totally not worth it.

and definitely DO NOT grind down the caliper to make it fit. A friend of mine bought a used set of LS calipers that were grinded down and even though not much was grinded off there was a small pinhole leak.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ference-4.html
so its official...... grinding down calipers is out of the question ....... thanks for the save ..... how about just the small time spacer like 15mm and extended studs and some serious fender rolling/ pulling?

Originally Posted by NEbiker10
Sell the wheels...sell all those goddamm filas and buy new shoes...for ur car and ur feet!
lol those filas are not mine to wear..... i send those over seas lol..... believe it or not filas are a pretty major brand in other countries ........ but i cant bring myself to sell those wheels...... i was so excited to finally get them and now to sell them...... im going to press my luck first lol
Old 12-22-11, 08:24 PM
marus
Pole Position

so just got extened studs installed..... they are 50mm studs which means 2 in studs

after installing the the extended studs and putting a 15mm spacer on the front i manage to clear the brakes as expected.....

but now i still have a poke issue...... the tires on there are 245 35 series but im about to get some 225 35 hopefully mounted on them as soon as i can drop the wheels off at the tire shop

fender is literally laying on top of the tire ..... dont mind the smudge on the fender ( can be wiped off lol)

Old 12-22-11, 09:32 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL why are you hiding the faces homie..... Bring it out, bring it out!!!

If you stretch on 245's up front, 225's are gonna look wild. I'm on 225's up front but my lips up front are conservative. yeah we do have the same wheels. My lips are horrible (do to weather) so it wouldn't work for you. Hit up MC3 wheels (786-426-6158) for a price quote on the lips. I spoke with them this week. I'm in the process of relipping them as well but nothing crazy like yours. At least I know what my wheels will look like in a crazy fitment.

Dude your gonna need body work or one hell of a pulling and our fenders are not really forgiving.... don't ask me how I know this.

Whats up with your private message disabled?

PM my boy Ky (BBwhispers), He knows a lot more about wheels than I, he also can get lips for ya..... His Autocoutoure Supremes wheel specs were 19x11 +15 front with 235/35/19 & 19x12 +15 rear with 265/30/19. He sold the wheels though.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...hotoshoot.html

Last edited by nar8ta; 12-23-11 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-24-11, 05:29 AM
marus
Pole Position

thanks man....... and here is a pic of the faces..... just realized the faces havent been revealed yet lol........ and yea the moderators disable my pm cause I was selling an item with no vouch and they told i couldnt and i stopped and next thing i know my message thing was disabled....... but thanks for the bbwhispers setup .... gives me hope that ill be able to make it fit.............. what size do you have on your gs.... and body is the next stop... as soon as i clear everything the way i want them too ...its going straight to the body shop...... i dont know if i should switch the color up or just keep it black

Quick Reply: I need advice bad!! I dont want to downgrade!!