GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New shoes for next year! 20x9.5, 20x13

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-12, 06:00 AM
PrinceAkim
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sick LS bro. Can't wait to see the GS finished.
Old 07-30-12, 11:53 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4nicate
I don't understand this...

Maybe I'm just not "hip" or "cool" but this seems silly and childish to me. Everyone brags about being "friends" and a "community" on here. Why not just say the offsets? Maybe people enjoy the way it looks and would like run similar wheels on their car.

So why even show the pictures to begin with? You know people are going to ask the specs of the wheel.
I have to totally side with the car builder on this. THEY did the homework and figured it out, THEY deserve to reap the rewards of the killer looks. I am SO SICK AND TIRED of people always asking "what are your offsets?" automatically in every thread. Not even a "nice car, bro" or something? Or maybe a reach-around? Unless you're trying to outright copy his set-up, I don't see why it's so important to you.

Does the Colonel tell you the eleven herbs and spices? Does Coke publish its' recipe? Do YOU post your social security number?

I guess it's mostly the armchair quarterbacks who like to talk numbers and stats but have never played the game. Frankly, most or the offenders are not going to drop big bucks on a custom set of wheels, so what's the difference?

I might come off as kind of a *****, but some of us make a living doing this type if stuff. I'm the guy out measuring cars, sitting on 120° asphalt in the baking sun, removing wheels and brakes that are hot to the touch and covered with brake dust and road grunge. Forgive me if I don't *share* all of what I've learned (and my 15 years of experience) with you so you can be the "forum smart guy." If it's no big deal, GO FIGURE IT OUT FOR YOURSELF.

FWIW, I would say the offset guesstimates are way off. I have 20x11.5" on the rear and there is NO more room on the inside...

OP, handsome GS build you have there - keep us posted!

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 07-30-12 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-30-12, 12:37 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I have to totally side with the car builder on this. THEY did the homework and figured it out, THEY deserve to reap the rewards of the killer looks. I am SO SICK AND TIRED of people always asking "what are your offsets?" automatically in every thread. Not even a "nice car, bro" or something? Or maybe a reach-around? Unless you're trying to outright copy his set-up, I don't see why it's so important to you.

Does the Colonel tell you the eleven herbs and spices? Does Coke publish its' recipe? Do YOU post your social security number?

I guess it's mostly the armchair quarterbacks who like to talk numbers and stats but have never played the game. Frankly, most or the offenders are not going to drop big bucks on a custom set of wheels, so what's the difference?

I might come off as kind of a *****, but some of us make a living doing this type if stuff. I'm the guy out measuring cars, sitting on 120° asphalt in the baking sun, removing wheels and brakes that are hot to the touch and covered with brake dust and road grunge. Forgive me if I don't *share* all of what I've learned (and my 15 years of experience) with you so you can be the "forum smart guy." If it's no big deal, GO FIGURE IT OUT FOR YOURSELF.

FWIW, I would say the offset guesstimates are way off. I have 20x11.5" on the rear and there is NO more room on the inside...

OP, handsome GS build you have there - keep us posted!
Thank you! I'm glad someone else here feels the same way I do. I'm the guy that's crawling around on the ground on hot ashphalt fitting wheels and measuring clearances to use all of the space I can in the wheel well to fit a bigger tire. Like hell i'm giving away that information for free. That's why all of our PoorForm members cars push the envelope on fitment. We have a IS350 running 9.5JJ front and 11JJ rear with a slight pull, IS300 running an 11JJ rear, my gf's 2GS running an 11.5JJ rear, Soarer running a 12JJ rear....oh yeah all cars are STOCK BODY. Like hell I'm going to do all the r&d and then just give my specs away so people can order fitments that I busted my *** for from some online vendor that deals straight quantity.

I do this for a living as well. People are not just buying a product from me, they're paying for my R&D and knowledge of what works best on their car.

And yes, the guesstimates are way off.
Old 07-30-12, 06:16 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

OK, we didn't understand you guys were running a business on here. Some of us are actually enthusiast. I bust my knuckles working on my car and I come here and share knowledge if I think it helps. Everyone on here isn't showing off their work just fishing for customers. Love both of your cars btw.

Last edited by tiger4life; 07-30-12 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-30-12, 08:37 PM
HangLoose
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tiger4life
OK, we didn't understand you guys were running a business on here. Some of us are actually enthusiast. I bust my knuckles working on my car and I come here and share knowledge if I think it helps. Everyone on here isn't showing off their work just fishing for customers. Love both of your cars btw.
Dude... Sharing general knowledge is no problem. And theyre not asking you to buy information. But they spent their own labor to figure out their setup Asking detailed questions about their setup is like asking for free labor.
Old 07-30-12, 09:10 PM
AsGs300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

so...... any pics of the wheels ON the car?
Old 07-30-12, 09:16 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

First and foremost, I don't have a problem with you not sharing and people shouldn't attack you asking you.

^^^^ HANGLOOSE, I get what they are saying, but I just don't understand why they get so offended about people asking. I know it took some effort. I understand they don't need to tell and accept that. But when you post pics of your stuff and put it out in the open. Of course people are going to ask. I know they get tired of explaining, but we don't know they own shops or whatever. We run around this site thinking they are regular guys just like us. Now I know they're looking at it from a business prospective, I won't bother them. They are entitled to keep their info secret. All I'm saying is it doesn't make sense to come onto a public forum and then get offended when people ask you. Do they need to tell? No. But are people going to ask? Yes. I could see if we were on their facebook or website asking, but people asking on a PUBLIC forum. Come on he knows as soon as he puts, 20X13 in the title, people are going to ask. I mean say no, but why get upset about it?
Old 07-30-12, 10:05 PM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This isn't 2007, you are not Cobb, and we are not asking how to hack a new R35 GTR to tune it.....after you blew 3 brand new R35's up to find out.
Old 07-31-12, 12:26 AM
HangLoose
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No one here is upset. If i came to you as upset in anyway, it must be my horrible english and ways of portraying my message. You wrote quite a chunk and i'm honestly too lazy to read through it all lol. I skimmed it, but the whole defending on secret offsets aren't toward those who want to know the offsets, but to those who ask why people keep it a secret.

First and foremost, I don't have a problem with you not sharing and people shouldn't attack you asking you.

^^^^ HANGLOOSE, I get what they are saying, but I just don't understand why they get so offended about people asking. I know it took some effort. I understand they don't need to tell and accept that. But when you post pics of your stuff and put it out in the open. Of course people are going to ask. I know they get tired of explaining, but we don't know they own shops or whatever. We run around this site thinking they are regular guys just like us. Now I know they're looking at it from a business prospective, I won't bother them. They are entitled to keep their info secret. All I'm saying is it doesn't make sense to come onto a public forum and then get offended when people ask you. Do they need to tell? No. But are people going to ask? Yes. I could see if we were on their facebook or website asking, but people asking on a PUBLIC forum. Come on he knows as soon as he puts, 20X13 in the title, people are going to ask. I mean say no, but why get upset about it?
Old 07-31-12, 06:52 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SSxblazer
This isn't 2007, you are not Cobb, and we are not asking how to hack a new R35 GTR to tune it.....after you blew 3 brand new R35's up to find out.
If it's so easy then you should have no problems doing it yourself.

No one is upset. I posted up earlier that I'm not sharing offsets, and people are too lazy to read through the thread.

Originally Posted by AsGs300
so...... any pics of the wheels ON the car?
Not yet
Old 07-31-12, 09:49 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
IFWIW, I would say the offset guesstimates are way off. I have 20x11.5" on the rear and there is NO more room on the inside...
First and foremost, I'm just having fun in this thread and love to ballbuster.

You of all people should know "I have a 20x11.5 on the rear and there is no room on the inside" is an open ended statement. Obviously, if you went with 0 offset, there would be more than enough room. Now that being said, keeping a 20x11.5 under the STOCK body w/ no clearance issues would be a nice measurement. Many many variables to make a blanket statement like that.

I also like to be included in the small % of people that would go out and spend good money on some custom wheels. Like I said it before, I would love to know the offsets to put it into perspective compared to the work already done on my car, as well a friends' GS's that are running wheels even more aggresive than mine.

I get it though. But for the sake of conversation, its childish. Honestly, 99 out of 100 people who try it would fail in the execution, and I'm not saying you're the one either. I'd prefer to have a well executed build than a build that has chased the numbers beyour the car's limits. Like someone else said (which has already been answered), where's the pics with the wheels on the car?
Old 07-31-12, 01:42 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This thread needs to be closed. It has gotten way off topic and is creating a lot of animosity on controversy.

I think what everyone is trying to get at is that this is a forum, where many feel a sense of community/friendship or whatever you want to call it. People come here looking for knowledge/help and advise as well as giving it or just to be apart of a community where we all share a common interest, which is a love for our vehicle and the culture. Lord knows I've given my fair share of answers as well as questions. For those who give help thanks and for those who don't oh well, it's no big deal. The answers are still out there, you just gotta look elsewhere. Don't cry a river over it, consider it an incentive to strive harder and have a sense of pride. It really comes down to the individual. Some people spend countless hours installing something and take detailed photos and then later spend another hour writing up DIY's. And then there are those who figured out the problem on their own (either measuring or reading it somewhere [for example: a forum LOL]) and figure they went through too much work to just hand out the answer. Which obviously the individual is entitled to but can seem childish to others or perhaps just for bragging rights. Anyways Jimmy I commend you for pushing the bar. I'm sure it will look awesome when they are on the car

Now without any reference to Bippu's setup. For those of you who are wondering if a 13" wide will fit without fender modifications, the answer is simply no. From what I know, if you want to run a 13" with a little as fender work needed, you would need a minimum of +35 or lower (MAAAYBE +40, but thats cutting it SUPER close) with approximately 20mm pull. The lower the offset, you go obviously more fender work is needed. However I wouldn't run a 50lbs wheel unless I had the power for it Which I don't think Jimmy will have a problem

I am a little surprised you didn't go more of a street look like Professors or Meisters with 18x9.5 and 18x11 with a square fat tire setup

Last edited by Sonic_RC; 07-31-12 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-31-12, 03:50 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

My original choice was 19" Meisters in 10JJ, 12.5JJ but wanted something new.... not a lot of people run Rotiforms, and I'm already on my 13th set of Work Wheels lol.

I have a set of 19x10 19x12 meisters on the car right now.

Old 07-31-12, 08:54 PM
phillygs3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Insane hahaha raising the bar, can't wait to see them fitted
Old 08-01-12, 12:53 PM
str8lucky
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking build

Quick Reply: New shoes for next year! 20x9.5, 20x13