GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

OBX header+midpipe+Apexi ws2 exhuast=problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-11, 05:10 PM
RLGS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBX header+midpipe+Apexi ws2 exhuast=problems

Well, I just got finished installing the obx headers on my 300 as well as the midpipe from obx, everything was going well until I realized that the exhaust is touching the rear bumper and the part that supports the exhaust in the middle (forgot what it is called but it is a bar of some sort) and that has a lot of pressure on it, what do i do, the vibrations are unbearable b/c of that, and on a side note the car is extremely loud because of the exhaust being there, i dont know what to do?
Old 11-05-11, 06:51 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a friend of mine use zip ties to keep his exhaust up, but lower so it wouldn't be hitting right on the bumper as the problem you're having. He was like that for about 3 months or so I believe and the zip ties were fine.
Old 11-06-11, 07:40 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Use metal hose clamps, not zip ties.
Old 11-06-11, 08:24 AM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Use metal hose clamps, not zip ties.
exactly...plastic melts lol
Old 11-06-11, 08:58 AM
cschroder
Driver

go to any exhaust place and have them center the tips and make custom exhaust hangers. had to do that with my borlas, cost 60 bucks, took the guy 20 mins. Works a whole lot better than zip ties, that was my first solution and got tired of the tips looking like **it.
Old 11-06-11, 09:15 AM
maxinGS
Driver

how are those headers tho? ive been looking into them but haven't decided if i want to get them or not till i found out about them, do you recommend?
Old 11-06-11, 02:49 PM
RLGS300
Lead Lap

As, far as having custom exhaust hangers sounds good and shouldnt be a problem, but what happens to the support bar in the center of the car, I assume that has to be removed? as far as recommending it, most people say it isnt too loud, but to me it is extremely loud, not all te time though only when it reaches about 2k rpms the noise/drone is unbearable, it pulls a little bit harder in the higher rpms. Only my first few days driving with them and the times I went on the highway there was traffic but a true test still awaits. I sort of miss the quieter GS i once had.
Old 11-06-11, 09:22 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

If you installed the exhaust on the ground with a jack crawling under the car it can be difficult to easily adjust everything to fit good.

Not sure if you which order you installed everything in, but when doing a full exhaust assembly I mount the whole thing on the car with all the bolts hand tight only, then I go back and slowly tighten the bolts little by little as you move/bump/adjust all the piping accordingly, The is way easier on a lift, but can be done on the ground.

The Apexi WS2 is a quality exhaust and should fit the car well without modifying the hangers, it's more likely the OBX stuff throwing the mufflers off, or the lack of incrementally adjusting the system during installation.

Modifying the hangers is defiantly a way to fix the orientation if needed, but keep in mind these random muffler shops are gonna use mild steel wire and hanger bars, so it gonna rust and you'll decrease the resale value of the Apexi a bit if you ever decide to part with them once they've been chopped up and have rusty muffler shop booger welds on them.

Good luck, hope you get it fixed because I know uncentered tips would drive me crazy too
Old 11-07-11, 12:44 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

take it to an exhaust/muffler shop...they can fix it for you....get a quote first...LOL...good luck.

I did that too....for my carson prototype headers and midpipe...with my blitz nur spec exhaust....it was a bit off centered...and actually was rubbing my bumper...eventually it melted the bumper....lol.
Old 11-07-11, 05:28 AM
RLGS300
Lead Lap

I have a shop of my own, I did everything on the lift, hand tighten first and then finished the setup, the problem starts with the headers themselves they sit lower than the original therefore everything else gets pushed down causing all these problems, I will make sure that when I redo the hangers they will be properely done, I'm not to happy that the whole system has to sit lower to the ground wit respect to the original, I am dropped a few inches with coilovers and I'm afraid that I will bottom out more often than needed
Old 11-07-11, 07:56 AM
cschroder
Driver

they will probably cut the exhaust, re-position it, then weld it back together. That is what they did with mine. just take it in to a good exhaust shop, they will fix it.
Old 11-07-11, 07:56 AM
cschroder
Driver

as far as it being to loud, tell the exhaust guys what you want, and they will make it happen.
Old 11-07-11, 10:37 AM
RLGS300
Lead Lap

I'm the guy who will making the changes
Old 11-07-11, 12:30 PM
cschroder
Driver

Originally Posted by RLGS300
I'm the guy who will making the changes
maybe you should just take it somewhere, watch what they do, then next you will know what to do.

your exhaust is going to have to be cut, positioned, welded and hung, by someone with experience doing custom exhaust, if you do it trial and error you are going to end up with quite a few cuts and welds. There is an art to it. If it is too loud, there is only 3 ways to quieten it up....mufflers, resonators, or put the stock intake back on it..... figure out which one you want to do, if it is mufflers,resonators find the location, measure it, and find something that fits where you want to put it.

If you take it to the shop it will probably be the best 100 bucks you ever spent.

fix the rubbing first, it will probably fix the noise.

lol
Old 11-07-11, 12:35 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Go to a muffler shop they can fiz it for you...and do a clean job

Quick Reply: OBX header+midpipe+Apexi ws2 exhuast=problems