GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Custom wheel build/restoration!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-11, 08:58 PM
xboostx
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom wheel build/restoration!

Update: Page 3

Hey forum, I am in the process of restoring my wheels. I have restored quite a few wheels before (I've owned ~14 sets LOL), some by me some by a wheel shop. To me wheels make or break a car. And this time I wanna do something different. ALL IDEAS ARE WELCOMED!

I bought some chrome Asanti wheels and they need ALOT of work. The chrome is peeling off everywhere. And a lip is bent. I have asked around for different quotes and wheel shops want ALOT of money to do a simple lip swap and paint. So it got me thinking, I can do it, I've done it a few times before. I then thought, what about others who may not have the tools, resources and or time, want a great job done but reasonable with prices. So i am thinking of starting a shop to do this work and also sell lips, barrels, bolts, center caps etc. Nothing is official its just an idea for now, but its something im passionate about.

Wheel specs:
20x9 F - offset (estimate) mids 20's low 30's
20x11 R - offset (estimate) low mid 30's

Here are some pix of the wheels when i first bought them.

The front lips have little to no hope LOL. New ones are coming. The rear lips werent to bad i cleaned them up and the came out pretty nice. Im still debating on whether to do chrome lips or mirror polish. I had the chrome removed from the faces and left bare for now. Heres a pic as they sit now.

Some of the pieces

Bigger lips front and back are in mind. I am going to find out the exact offsets soon to see what kind of room i have.

More pix coming along with progress. STAY TUNED!

Last edited by xboostx; 11-14-11 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-10-11, 11:11 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

i really like those, what color are you going to paint them? color matched?
Old 10-11-11, 03:59 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Awesome work.. They look brand new...
Old 10-11-11, 04:50 AM
sinistervr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xboostx
ALL IDEAS ARE WELCOMED!

So i am thinking of starting a shop to do this work and also sell lips, barrels, bolts, center caps etc. Nothing is official its just an idea for now, but its something im passionate about.

Wheel specs:
opening a wheel shop here is south florida i would have to say is not a good idea.. i know a few people who own wheel companies down here and its hard.. 80% of all forged wheels come from cor.
they are based in miami. so with that all inner barrels and outer lips etc come from them.. every company cor does offers lips and barrels.
then you have places like mc3 wheels, also here in miami. he does make wheels, but for the most part he does re-liping.
in order for you to get lips cheap enough to sell and make profit you would have to invest so much into the lips to get that deep discount. you will also have to decide which lip to get, the american double rolled that goes for $250 a lip but dosnt bend as easy or a cheaper asian one thats about $150.. are you going to stock the general 40 bolt style or the weird 39 bolt one..
i know from experience.. i can tell you adv1 wheels stocks the american lips, and they had to invest something like 50k into lips to be able to have them readily available and get a good enough price for making there wheels.

if you need more insight to the wheel game or still really wanna go through with it i can help you with who to get in contact with, just pm me and we will go from there

ideas_ i would polish the inner lips, its a pain to keep clean, but looks so good when they are.
or gunmetal lips, i dont know what color car so its hard for me to say but something like this

gun metal lips and matte black faces

now fo wheel specs, those rears look like they are about 4 inches i would put those on the front and run a 5.5 inner. then just buy new lips for the rear
Old 10-11-11, 10:04 AM
xboostx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
i really like those, what color are you going to paint them? color matched?
Thanks man. As far as colors i have considered brushed aluminum, and colors like teal, aqua, gunmetal. But adding a nice twist to it

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Awesome work.. They look brand new...
Thanks man. They are going to look even better when im done!

Originally Posted by sinistervr
ideas_ i would polish the inner lips, its a pain to keep clean, but looks so good when they are.
or gunmetal lips, i dont know what color car so its hard for me to say but something like this

gun metal lips and matte black faces

now fo wheel specs, those rears look like they are about 4 inches i would put those on the front and run a 5.5 inner. then just buy new lips for the rear
Thanks for the insight man. I definitely know what you mean. Im doing my homework for now. But im sure the ideas i have will greatly benefit most people in the car industry. Especially if you love wheels as much as i do!

The polished inners is a def for show but i will drive on these daily and im a fan of black inners MUCH easier to keep clean.

The finishes you suggest are nice. That color combo with the gunmetal is hot!!!
The 4inch front lip is WAAAYY to much for me LOL these wheels seem BBK friendly so unless i shave down the pad a 3" may be max. I have a 2.5" now. And for the rear im eiher staying with the 4 or going to a 4.5.

Its going to be awesome when im done!

BTW my car is silver.

Last edited by xboostx; 10-11-11 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-11-11, 10:05 AM
MC3 Wheels
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by xboostx
Hey forum, I am in the process of restoring my wheels. I have restored quite a few wheels before (I've owned ~14 sets LOL), some by me some by a wheel shop. To me wheels make or break a car. And this time I wanna do something different. ALL IDEAS ARE WELCOMED!

I bought some chrome Asanti wheels and they need ALOT of work. The chrome is peeling off everywhere. And a lip is bent. I have asked around for different quotes and wheel shops want ALOT of money to do a simple lip swap and paint. So it got me thinking, I can do it, I've done it a few times before. I then thought, what about others who may not have the tools, resources and or time, want a great job done but reasonable with prices. So i am thinking of starting a shop to do this work and also sell lips, barrels, bolts, center caps etc. Nothing is official its just an idea for now, but its something im passionate about.

Wheel specs:

Here are some pix of the wheels when i first bought them.

The front lips have little to no hope LOL. New ones are coming. The rear lips werent to bad i cleaned them up and the came out pretty nice. Im still debating on whether to do chrome lips or mirror polish. I had the chrome removed from the faces and left bare for now. Heres a pic as they sit now.

Some of the pieces

Bigger lips front and back are in mind. I am going to find out the exact offsets soon to see what kind of room i have.

More pix coming along with progress. STAY TUNED!
Whats up YO! I remember that IS300, you came by the shop one time right? Check you pm's
Old 10-11-11, 11:12 AM
xboostx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MC3 Wheels
Whats up YO! I remember that IS300, you came by the shop one time right? Check you pm's
Whats up man! Yes sir that was me. Gonna check it now.
Old 10-11-11, 04:29 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

go for it , dont let noone hold you back bro
Old 10-11-11, 04:39 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

nice job! i just curbed mines on one side and feel like doing the same thing!
Old 10-11-11, 06:25 PM
xboostx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by D-Boi
go for it , dont let noone hold you back bro
Thanks bro! Im very optomistic about it!

Originally Posted by jadu
nice job! i just curbed mines on one side and feel like doing the same thing!
Thanks man, check mines out when they're done you might get some nice ideas for them!
Old 10-11-11, 11:11 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

cant wait for some new pics
Old 10-12-11, 09:49 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Rebuilding used wheels kind of sucks. It's not rocket surgery, but it's dirty work and there definitely is some technique involved. Cleaning and getting all the old silicone off is critical. Also, getting the rebuilt wheel to be round and true can be tricky if you don't have a way to spin them and have a dial indicator to check & set them.

Also, those assembly bolts look pretty hammered; I would replace them.
Old 10-12-11, 10:33 AM
xboostx
Lead Lap

Update!:
The wheels are being dropped off to get some work done. And work needed to be done by a CNC machine if you notice the ADV wheel up top in the earlier post it has a concave center cap which i believe is billet and its flat. Lets see what i can come up with

I wanna make these wheels look sporty, not just luxury. We all know how nice that happy medium is!

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Rebuilding used wheels kind of sucks. It's not rocket surgery, but it's dirty work and there definitely is some technique involved. Cleaning and getting all the old silicone off is critical. Also, getting the rebuilt wheel to be round and true can be tricky if you don't have a way to spin them and have a dial indicator to check & set them.

Also, those assembly bolts look pretty hammered; I would replace them.
i hear ya, but its not what you guys think. Im not just gonna be repairing wheels im gonna take things a step further! And i have access to all the tools needed. Its gonna be good guys!

And new bolts are on the way!
Old 10-12-11, 12:02 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

question: watcha gunna use to reseal the barrels together?
Old 10-12-11, 04:00 PM
sinistervr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vwynn
question: watcha gunna use to reseal the barrels together?
ccw wheels, says use house door and window silicone

Quick Reply: Custom wheel build/restoration!