GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Any thoughts on SRT ECU and Intake upgrade??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-11, 06:28 AM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not really,

its true that going to a larger intake tube will allow for the maximum allowance of air in, however, the limitation will always be the tbody, and its tbody plate. sensors can always be manipulated. Moreover, then comes velocity of the air flow and all that jazz, which you can calculate to your hearts content, but in the end, its still just an intake!

you are now digging for poo in arguments and getting all worked up over the internet, and for the sake of justifying how right you are.

whatever lovers quarrel you have with macd7919, keep it off the site, the original question was any thoughts on the SRT ECU and intake upgrade?

answers have been provided.

Originally Posted by account2x
"2.75 pipe is smaller than 3" pipe therefore upgrading to 3" will allow more airflow and it'll make more power right. It's soo simple duh, how can anyone not realize this?" This is you., am I right? To be honest this is exactly the kind of mentality I'd expect from someone who has no performance experience. Trying to apply "common sense" to cars is the mistake. This same mistake allows companies pray on individuals. Did you buy one of those tornado mpg improvers? The truth is that your 4L engine isn't pulling enough air in for a 4.5in stretch of 2.75 to be a restriction. Simple as that.
Old 10-02-11, 12:05 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"2.75 pipe is smaller than 3" pipe therefore upgrading to 3" will allow more airflow and it'll make more power right. It's soo simple duh, how can anyone not realize this?" This is you., am I right? To be honest this is exactly the kind of mentality I'd expect from someone who has no performance experience. Trying to apply "common sense" to cars is the mistake. This same mistake allows companies pray on individuals. Did you buy one of those tornado mpg improvers? The truth is that your 4L engine isn't pulling enough air in for a 4.5in stretch of 2.75 to be a restriction. Simple as that.
Sure thing boss, your right. As mentioned above, I (nor anyone else) have a desire to get in a pissing match over this with you.

FWIW it's not a "common sense" approach...it's fluid dynamics, I guess all the theories they teach regarding this in mechanical engineering have been proven wrong in the years since I got my degree, but I doubt it.

......and yes, I did buy a "Tornado" but it didn't help so I added 2 electric superchargers from eBay and really turned it up a notch.

Anyways, moving on to productive things... To the original poster, I would get the SRT if I was in the market for an intake. Here is a past thread (forum is going super slow for some reason so I only linked one) with before and after dyno's with the SRT intake:

Brand new K&N Hi-Flow Filter: Rwhp 233.4 Rwtq 256.8 a/f 13.5-13

SRT Intake with SRT Ecu: Rwhp 245.95 Rwtq 270.25 a/f 14-14.5

So compared to an aftermarket "hi flow" filter the SRT with ECU still picked up 12.55 HP at the wheels and 13.45 TQ at the wheels, considering the fact there is roughly (on the low side) a 15% driveline loss your looking at a roughly a 14.5 HP and 15.5 TQ gain over the already "high flow" filter, in other words you would see a greater gain when swapping in the SRT over a stock intake for example. Either way, here is a link to the thread so you can check it out for yourself:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...fc-dyno-s.html

Last edited by macd7919; 10-02-11 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-02-11, 10:04 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use to have a srt intake on my gs430 and according to my butt dyno, it didn't feel that much different from stock. However, the car sound so much better with the intake.
Old 10-05-11, 05:08 AM
97JZA80
Pit Crew

Whose got the best price on one these days?
Old 10-05-11, 05:55 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 97JZA80
Your best bet is finding one used. If you don't then they're $600 from SRT themselves.
Old 10-05-11, 07:25 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
Expect a text when I get/install mine, Brian. I might be hitting you up if I don't get something.
u got a gs300 daniel, i know nothing about that hookup for the SRT

With all due respect someone driving a vehicle they list as " Bone Stock" shouldn't be lecturing about performance parts.
lol, his car is far from stock....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...7rwhp-15k.html

not to mention damian has been around for ever and knows his stuff, he knows Mo from SRT fairly well from what i gather on past communications with him

Originally Posted by 97JZA80

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
Your best bet is finding one used. If you don't then they're $600 from SRT themselves.
sometimes SRT has sells on them but mostly cheapest as daniel said is used. i still heart my SRT intake but i went hunting (it took a second) to find a part a older member had called a Kajukenbo intake box

OP if you search next time you would have run upon this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...s-and-mod.html
Old 10-05-11, 08:52 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I laughed when i started reading this thread. I met Damian years ago when i bought my tein ss from him. After 2 mins of speaking with him, i soon realized that he knew his stuff about these cars. OP i would tell you from experience that Damian knows what he is talking about.

Originally Posted by sakataj
lol, his car is far from stock....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...7rwhp-15k.html

not to mention damian has been around for ever and knows his stuff, he knows Mo from SRT fairly well from what i gather on past communications with him
Old 10-05-11, 11:44 AM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the only complaint i can even really say about the intake is near the elbow bend, the larger diameter intake pipe runs really close to the passenger side camshaft cover. i wasnt sure if any vibration would cause the pipe to touch it, so i just wedged and taped some foam/plastic between the camshaft cover and the pipe.
Old 10-05-11, 12:59 PM
DeanGS
Driver

I have the SRT intake on my GS3 and am very happy with it. Reading through this thread and others I'd like to add my insight.
With the stock system I tried a TRD and K&N drop in replacement filter.
I also tried cone air filters.
One of the biggest restrictions in the stock intake system is in the MAF itself. It sits in the middle of airflow and cuts down the "open area" in the intake pipe.
I have access to a very accurate vacuum gauge and measured vacuum at points
after the filter
after the MAF
after the "resonator"
and at the throttle body entrance

At part throttle there was very little difference in all of the systems.
At WOT (or close to it) there was a very noticeable difference in vacuum.

The more restrictive systems (stock) have a large spike at initial tip in. This causes throttle lag.

As rpms increase the initial spike decreases greatly and then there is just a gradual gain in vacuum up to redline. Main restriction is at the filter, then the stock MAF housing.

With the SRT I tested after the filter, after the MAF and then at the throttle body inlet.

The only restriction, and it was very minor, was after the air filter.

I feel that the main benefits of the SRT are:
the increase in the MAF diameter
the fuel computer to better trim fuel

I have realized an increase in mileage with the SRT (due to the fuel computer leaning out the mix a bit and for easier airflow into the motor (which requires less throttle angle). I have also (not dyno proven, just G-Tech comparisons) realized a performance increase.

Mo at SRT knows his stuff and I have high confidence in his products.

I did modify my intake to utilize the stock air scoop and a bit better enclosure of the filter to help limit the amount of "hot air" that enters the filter. But just installing the non-modified SRT system I realized the afore mentioned gains.

It's not going to turn it into a speed demon but when races come down to tenths of a second the SRT makes a HUGE difference not to mention the gain in mileage if you keep your foot out of it.

Take it for what it is worth.
Old 10-05-11, 10:08 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

I have had my SRT intake on my GS400 for at least 4 years... I do love it but I do gotta say I think it may have had something to do with my check engine light I used to face, Also just until recently my car was using alot of gas... it would smell like unburned fuel when started and to start my car I would have to accelerate... The problem went away recently runs great now... better gas milege and can just turn the key but I think I was having a problem with the ECU itself. I had bought a SAFC 2 but still have not installed it... I bought it to help with the problem...
Still I do love the mod... and its still installed I never uninstalled it and I probably wont..
on my other cars I own I have noticed some issues when installing intakes but thats just how it goes...
Is300 with K&N intake had 02 issue
My tundra threw a check engine light once or twice but went away...
GET IT YOU WILL LIKE IT
Old 10-09-11, 08:09 AM
Vegas
Pit Crew

Let me put it this way, my GS400 has had a SRT/ECU combo on it for 100K+ miles without a problem! I'm even on the original filter. The materials they use are quality and hold up over time. The couplers are still pliable and fresh as is the air filter material.

Oh and it pulls on my buddies GS430.
Old 10-10-11, 12:50 PM
bdelong36
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP,

The SRT intake is a quality piece of equipment.

Goes in well, looks good, and adds performace. Put it and enjoy!
Old 10-10-11, 02:08 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I needed this post... a lot of the posts on SRT that have a real discussion are like from 5 years ago.
Old 10-11-11, 10:58 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

LOL, OP hasnt been back since 10/02. we scared him away