GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is this bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-11, 05:10 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Is this bad?

Wats up CL I have an 01 GS430 with 95k and when im idling in park and rev the gas as I let go of the gas you hear a rattling noise from the cat. I had a few exuast leaks that I got repaired which I though would fix that problem but it's something different. The muffler guy I know said "it's inside the cat and can't be fixed and is uneccesary to fix because it's just something loose inside the cat." he said it wont do any harm except for that annoying noise when revving at idle which i can care less about because it doesn't happen when driving thank god. So the question I have for you guys is, is he telling the truth? because I thought a rattling cat meant a bad cat which would cause poor performance and gas mileage. Could this have been caused by an accident from the previous owner?(even though he swears no accidents). Any opinions on what this can be is appreciated thanks
Old 09-17-11, 05:57 PM
Ant2gs3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

replace the cat
Old 09-17-11, 06:14 PM
oslouie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ant2gs3
replace the cat
That's a genius answer.
Old 09-17-11, 06:33 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

I was looking for answers besides that. What am I gonna get besides no noise by changing the super expensive cat? Will I notice anything else. The car seems like it drives fine.
Old 09-17-11, 06:35 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

replace the cat
replace the cat
Old 09-17-11, 06:39 PM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

its the heat shield protecting the cat and the rest of the pipe.

its a common problem, just go under there and cut it off with tin snips or unbolt it if you can still loosen the bolts.

some examples from IS/GS owners

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tling-fix.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...converter.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...eatshield.html

Last edited by Mike813; 09-17-11 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-17-11, 06:59 PM
starfyrels
Account under Legal Action - Banned

Youre in ny, so you need a cat converter to pass emissions. With a failed baffle inside your cat conv you are essentially rocking a straight pipe. You will not pass emissions the next time you have to renew. The catalyst within the converter is gone for you.

Search ebay or junk yards/craigslist for some.

In worst case your engine could "choke" as the cat could become blocked and limit exhaust flow out of your muffler.
Old 09-17-11, 07:49 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Well it can't be the heat shield because when I got the exaust leaks repaired they removed the heat shield because we thought that was the issue but it seems to be coming internally from the cat. But funny you say that I just passed inspecton yesterday with the cat like that and i do not have a check engine light on. Is it possible that something is loose inside the cat but that the cat is still good because the car seems to be running fine
Old 09-17-11, 07:52 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

And as I said before it ONLY makes noise when im parked and I press the gas. As I let go of the gas you hear a rattling coming from inside the cat. When I'm driving I dont notice anything
Old 09-17-11, 08:10 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

it's sounds like the Cat is broken inside. i say take it to a muffler shop and they will be able to tell you for sure.
Old 09-17-11, 10:52 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Car-part.com

You will find a cat for cheap.
Old 09-18-11, 07:45 PM
2gs4u8
Driver School Candidate

replace the cat

THAT SOLVES UR ANSWer!
Old 09-18-11, 08:46 PM
Acidic
Driver

replace the cat
With a dog and call it a day...
Old 09-20-11, 07:57 PM
nezlyfe
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you didn't have the heat shields removed I def would've said that's your issue, was for me, but try replacing headers completely one of he members can pass the inspection (Jeff) and he had his car boosted......or take the headers off and shake it until the loose part comes out lol
Old 09-21-11, 05:36 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Well it can't be the heat shield because when I got the exaust leaks repaired they removed the heat shield because we thought that was the issue but it seems to be coming internally from the cat. But funny you say that I just passed inspecton yesterday with the cat like that and i do not have a check engine light on. Is it possible that something is loose inside the cat but that the cat is still good because the car seems to be running fine
did they remove all of the shields? (under cat, over cat on frame, shield on the pipe) theres one over and under the cat. most of the links i provided was the lower shield thats exposed to our ny weathers but there are times the upper shield might get hit by road debris and bend inwards slightly leaning on the cat causing it to rattle a bit as well. im just trying to give you the cheapest alternative before buying a new cat but if you believe theres something inside take it to a exhaust shop and see if they can shake whatevers inside out? has to be something heavy for it to even make a rattling sound.

personally i would go and remove all the shield below from the Y pipe back to the midpipe and check it again to see if the sound continues.

Quick Reply: Is this bad?