GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

FAQ: GM LSx Engine Swap into 91-2005 GS300/400/430 / 01-05 IS300 / 91-00 SC300/400

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-11, 08:20 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FAQ: GM LSx Engine Swap into 91-2005 GS300/400/430 / 01-05 IS300 / 91-00 SC300/400

I have been compiling all the info and what I have used for my LSx swap into my GS. Many components are the same across the board no matter what chassis and some will vary. This info is to be used at your own risk.

HUGE THANKS to Dan @ DGR. He got me started and now I am here to help others with the LSx swap!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine Mounts for LSx into:

-1991-1997 GS 1st Gen
-1998-2005 GS 2nd Gen
-2001-2005 IS300
-1991-2000 SC300/SC400

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ck-it-out.html

Here is a list of parts you will need for the swap, Some are a necessity and some are not.

-LS motor set of choice (LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6, LS7, LS9 etc....)
-engine mounts with isloators
-transmission mount with isolator
-Tremec T56 6-speed transmission
-GM Transmission Fluid for T56 (GM part # 88861800)
-Clutch/flywheel (i used McLeod RST part # 6912.07)
-Clutch slave hydraulics and T/O bearing (i used McLeod Part # 1400-30)
-Whatever you want to put in the Engine while it's out (Cams, ARP bolts, Valvetrain, LS6 Oil pump etc...)
-Radiator 31" wide, 19" high Maximum. (i used Griffin core)
-Cooling fan of choice, (i used FAL 398 SYCLONE)
-Cooling fan controller switch/ relay kit. Get one with (usually) 3/8 NPT sensor, we'll weld a bung into the side of tank (I used part # DER16749)
-Block hugger headers, rearward outlets. Not coated. You will have to modify them for perfect fit
-2.5" Vband clamps for exhaust
-Mufflers of choice. Dual 2.5" or 3" piping
-exhaust piping if you want custom
-X-pipe or H-pipe (i used maganflow X-pipe)
-Resonators if you like it quieter
-SARD "Jet Pump Killer" to scavenge the saddle tank right side (part # 58301)
-Walbro, Edelbrock etc...fuel pump for in the tank (walboro Part # GSS342 & 400-765)
-2000 corvette fuel filter with regulator in it, or your choice of regulator setup for LSx (GM Part # 19239926)-Roll of 3/8 stainless hard line for fuel feed (part # SUM-220238)
-4" diameter tight 90 degree aluminum mandrel for intake (Vibrant part # 2876)
-2 feet of 4" diameter straight aluminum for intake (Vibrant part # 2877)
-Air filter for air box, shallow, your choice
-Interface/tach signal adapter for functioning tachometer - (Dakota part # SGI-8)
-Speedometer adapter for functioning Speedo IF NEEDED (Dakota Part # SGI-5)
-Wilwood or Tilton single pedal, overhung for clutch (Wilwood part # 340-1290)
-Wilwood or Tilton 3/4 master cylinder, compact for clutch (Wilwood part # 260-10372)
-McCloud or similar clutch hydraulic line for LSx, 30 inch or longer (part # 139100-30)
-GTO oil pan/pickup (if your motorset does not come with it)
-Optima or the like for trunk mounted battery (i chose to keep battery in factory location)
-Battery tray of choice (Optima billet)
-#1 welding cable, ~20 FT for battery extension (royal excelene)
-Battery lugs for #1 cable to 3/8 hole (4) (part # TAY-21414)
-Battery terminals of choice OR 2 more 3/8 lugs for side terminal battery (part # TAY-21412)

HP Tuner in order to flash the computer

http://www.hptuners.com

Driveshaft:

I used Toyota Tundra yolk to mate the GS pumpkin and the GTO portion that mates to the T56 trans. Had my local driveshaft shop make a one piece driveshaft using the GTO and Tundra parts so it bolts in. Most driveshaft places will measure and help you as well.

Converting to Manual transmission:

Many people have converted their Lexus to M/T. I chose all aftermarket parts. Some chose to use IS300 parts. Its pretty straight forward, the harder part is the clutch pedal angle. Dan @ DGR found that using the wilwood and cutting and welding it to the proper angle was the best solution. It looks awesome!

Wilwood parts I used:
3/4 compact master with reservoir
pedal assembly
(part numbers are above)

More info to come soon! Will be posting relevant threads next and when I think of more!
Old 09-14-11, 08:32 PM
scriber
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info would love to do a LS1 swap just not sure how it compares to the 2JZ-GTE. Im sure the price would be out the roof compared to the 2JZ also.
Old 09-14-11, 08:33 PM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by scriber
Great info would love to do a LS1 swap just not sure how it compares to the 2JZ-GTE. Im sure the price would be out the roof compared to the 2JZ also.
They are about the same price, depending on the model.

Last edited by Sash1mi; 09-14-11 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-14-11, 08:48 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scriber
too many variables. i can make a very inexpensive LS1 swap or a very expensive LS7 swap. A lot in between and they are VERY reliable. I would say all set in done, will be close!
Old 09-14-11, 08:49 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

AMSMIKE
GS300 LSx build
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-for-now.html

ATSMATT
IS300 LSx build:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...t-testing.html

boosted4.6
SC300 LSx build:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ap-thread.html

Cleans14
GS300 LSx build:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...soon-pics.html

GM 6-speed in SC300
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-in-sc300.html

Old DGR fab thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...available.html

Turbodremz
SC300 LSx build:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ld-thread.html
Old 09-14-11, 09:18 PM
mrjaydm
Rookie

What do you do as far as wiring goes? Are you just using the GM harness/ECU from the donor car? Also what about the OBD2 functioning, can you still get the car inspected using the OBD port? Thank you for all your hard work and effort! This is one of the most amazing things I have come across in a while.
Old 09-14-11, 11:10 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mrjaydm
What do you do as far as wiring goes? Are you just using the GM harness/ECU from the donor car? Also what about the OBD2 functioning, can you still get the car inspected using the OBD port? Thank you for all your hard work and effort! This is one of the most amazing things I have come across in a while.
The Lexus is a somewhat unique car. Pretty much everything is wired separately with a control module of some sort. This makes it much easier for engine swaps. GM is very similar. Therefore, both engines (Stock and LSx) have the engine harness and the ECU/PCM. And that harness is connected to the vehicle for different sensors/cluster/12v/ground etc.

You merge the GM harness to the Lexus body harness. Use the factory GM ecu for that engine and what I used was HP Tuner in order to bypass the security immobilizers (VATS on GM).

OBD2 is fully functional and reads just like the GM engine was in a GM car, however its in a Lexus The Tach, Speedo, MIL and every other light on the cluster all work....

...ONLY thing i could not get to work on the Cluster was water temp gauge. So i am using an OBD2 reader called "ScanGauge" and its plugged into the OBD2 port and reads like 17 different parameters off the ecu. So awesome!

I also have all the emissions/evap/charcoal canister/fuel pressure vapor sensor hooked up and functioning. Which is required in California, the hardest state with laws.

-Mike
Old 09-15-11, 09:52 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Shifter Assembly for manual Transmission in GS chassis:

The GTO Shifter is no good. It sits too far back.

After A LOT of measuring and buying different units. The 1993-2002 Camaro T56 shifter assembly puts the shifter thru the stock location on the GS. You can get aftermarket or OEM. You need the T56 shifter assembly that is a 4 bolt and bolts on any T56. If you have a GTO trans you need the Camaro collar or inside the trans where the shifter rests. Its about $30.

I HIGHLY recommend getting Cobra Bob's T56 Shifter gasket assembly. No more need for silicone and it reduces noise!

http://stangshiftergaskets.com/OrderShifterGaskets.htm

GTO Shifter assembly in the GS:

You can see how it sits too far back

Clutch Pedal:

wilwood part # 340-1290

Cut and modified in order to be shifted closer to the brake pedal and sit like it should. This will need to be done or you can modify a different pedal assembly. Its fairly simple, just take your time.

Clutch Master Cylinder:

wilwood part # 260-10372

GTO Oil Pan Modification:

this is needed to clear the cross member

Old 09-15-11, 10:03 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

IS300 with LS1:

SC300 with LS1:

Old 09-15-11, 11:02 PM
battery188
Rookie

I'm doing a swap right now as well. great thread!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ter-build.html

----------------------------------------

edit :

just found out that you had a thread with LS2! wow I thought there were only one gs with LS swap.. well yours is a 6000cc so you are special
How did you manage to use your stock nitro/electric brakes? I could not figure out how this could work without keeping the stock ECU in place..

Last edited by battery188; 09-15-11 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-16-11, 08:59 AM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by battery188
edit :

just found out that you had a thread with LS2! wow I thought there were only one gs with LS swap.. well yours is a 6000cc so you are special
How did you manage to use your stock nitro/electric brakes? I could not figure out how this could work without keeping the stock ECU in place..
There are a few GS with LS1's. I don't know any others with the LS2 and DBW. I hope more people will do it

The stock brake booster has its own control unit on 01-05 GS. It's not part of the factory engine ecu and is on a completely separate harness. Meaning, when you remove the engine and harness. The Brake booster is UNTOUCHED.
Old 09-16-11, 12:52 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

so you got a 6.0 correct mike? whats the capacity of the oil pan now that its been re-welded to fit the sub frame? does the re-worked pan change the flow/baffling of the pan? would the pan from the H3 alpha which is more desired since its slimmer work without modifying it?

no plans of a production header/driveshaft? i know u said you would probably be offering a oil pan

Last edited by sakataj; 09-16-11 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-16-11, 03:43 PM
AMSMIKE2
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sakataj
so you got a 6.0 correct mike? whats the capacity of the oil pan now that its been re-welded to fit the sub frame? does the re-worked pan change the flow/baffling of the pan? would the pan from the H3 alpha which is more desired since its slimmer work without modifying it?

no plans of a production header/driveshaft? i know u said you would probably be offering a oil pan
yes I have a 6.0L out of a 2005 GTO.

I know the GTO oil pan works the best (according to Dan) and needs the modification for GS/IS/SC chassis.

The modification does not change the oil flow/baffling. It does take i believe 1/2 a quart less oil. which is no big deal IMHO. I can modify the GTO pan for people if necessary.

I don't know anything about other oil pans and how they fit...would need to be test...Brian the oil pan tester has a good ring to it. lol

Shipping a driveshaft would kill the price. ANY driveshaft shop can make it. There are about about 20 shops here in OC. So I imagine there are a lot in other states as well. If you dont know of any, contact an offroad shop or hot rod shop and ask for a reference. They must know of a driveshaft shop because lifted trucks and custom hot rods require custom driveshafts.

Maybe in the future I will look into having swap headers made. If I had a lot of people wanting them, I would work on it. It all depends how many people are going to do this swap. if I had a lot of people interested, I would make the whole package. But for a few, its not cost effective.
Old 09-16-11, 05:12 PM
boosted4.6
Pole Position

Stock f body oil pan works. No need to modify pan on an sc300 lsx swap. Just modify rear crossmember to fit. Simple. Stock fbody drive shaft works as well just buy driftmotions 1350 adaptor and a 1350 flange at your local driveline shop. No custom length needed. This is for sc 300. I don't know about the gs or is
Old 09-16-11, 07:33 PM
starfyrels
Account under Legal Action - Banned

pricing on this swap?

Quick Reply: FAQ: GM LSx Engine Swap into 91-2005 GS300/400/430 / 01-05 IS300 / 91-00 SC300/400