GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Please help passenger side door handle cable broke

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-13, 03:07 PM
islexusred
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help passenger side door handle cable broke

hey guys just replaced my 2 front door actuators ( motor) this morning but accidentally broke the cable with the black threaded retaining cap that hooks on the front passenger door lock!!!! does anyone have a spare or know where to buy it? looked on ebay , amazon and sewell but came up with nothing
Old 12-30-13, 09:03 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check one of your local salvage yards. You should find one there. Be sure to check Toyota Camrys and Avalons and not just Lexus. They may even give the part to you.
Old 12-30-13, 09:18 PM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you talking about the actual cable broke? or the black cap?
Old 12-31-13, 03:22 AM
islexusred
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ttaylor993
Check one of your local salvage yards. You should find one there. Be sure to check Toyota Camrys and Avalons and not just Lexus. They may even give the part to you.
Good idea! do you think the parts would match?
Old 12-31-13, 03:25 AM
islexusred
Pole Position

Originally Posted by monkey92
you talking about the actual cable broke? or the black cap?
Just the threaded black cap that hold/adjust the tension of the cable. tried super glue but it snaps right off.
Old 12-31-13, 03:26 AM
islexusred
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MonGoLMiri
pm me for one.
Do you a spare?
Old 12-31-13, 05:49 PM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just the threaded black cap that hold/adjust the tension of the cable. tried super glue but it snaps right off
depending on how the black cap broke, you can try to use a paper clip or a metal wire to tie it back in place and onto the back of the handle. i had the same problem and that method worked for me. i wished i had taken pictures to show you exactly what i meant.
Old 01-02-14, 06:43 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

just a heads up you cannot replace JUST the cable. if you had searched there are threads were people used heat shrink on them and/or electrical tape to reattach it.
Old 01-02-14, 09:18 PM
islexusred
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
just a heads up you cannot replace JUST the cable. if you had searched there are threads were people used heat shrink on them and/or electrical tape to reattach it.
would you please clarify how i cannot replace just the cable? the cable itself is fine just the black retainer that secure/adjust the tension broke. and about the heat shrink would you please share the link for the heat shrink tread?
Old 01-03-14, 06:59 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by islexusred
would you please clarify how i cannot replace just the cable? the cable itself is fine just the black retainer that secure/adjust the tension broke. and about the heat shrink would you please share the link for the heat shrink tread?
well as i said, the WHOLE cable cannot be replaced, even if you open it to the actuator and manage to get it out of the assembly safely noone sells a cable for our actuators. yes since your new your using up your freebie on a really simple solution though....take some super glue and just put a small dab on it where the black piece broke (lining it up as best as possible) then take some heat shrink cable and put it over the black piece and heat it up. next time please search before making any posts OR post this in the main actuator sticky to keep our clutter down
Old 01-03-14, 12:15 PM
islexusred
Pole Position

well as i said, the WHOLE cable cannot be replaced, even if you open it to the actuator and manage to get it out of the assembly safely noone sells a cable for our actuators. yes since your new your using up your freebie on a really simple solution though....take some super glue and just put a small dab on it where the black piece broke (lining it up as best as possible) then take some heat shrink cable and put it over the black piece and heat it up. next time please search before making any posts OR post this in the main actuator sticky to keep our clutter down
Thank you so much for your time! Am gonna try the combination of super glue and heat shrink, hopefully that will make it stick.
Old 01-03-14, 01:22 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

2 thumbs up....