GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

The UPGRADE from Xenon/HID

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-11, 04:53 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default The UPGRADE from Xenon/HID

Hello all!

BRAND NEW lighting coming out from a company that is well respected in the photography/color proofing industry. They've incorporated their technology into 9005/9006,etc automotive bulbs. These are a HUGE step above Xenon/HID when it comes to color accuracy and color rendition at night. As we know, HID tends to be a little TOO blue at certain angles. The Solux / Clearvision bulbs have none of the issues of HID.

They are rated for 4600k, but don't let the numbers fool you. They are as close to natural daylight as you can get. I've experienced the Solux proofing bulbs (for color critical matching) and there is NOTHING on the market that can touch them with regards to color rendition and accuracy. In the home market, Solux will waste out Ottlite, Verilux, GE Reveal, etc by a huge margin. It's not even funny.

I'm still trying to find a local source for them, but I've known about them for quite a few months now when they were in development. A Non Disclosure Agreement prevented me from saying anything about them until very recently.

https://www.headlights123.com/clearv...headlights.php

Also check out the videos on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m_AZUcvfFs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XO0J29ayLo

Their main site - http://www.solux.net

These bulbs are game changers. Seriously. I can literally see people ripping out their HID lights (and LED lights) for these bulbs. They're THAT good.
Old 08-25-11, 05:53 PM
oslouie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So are they just plug and play or do you need ignitors and all for them too? The thing about these, just like everything with new technology is price. If these were more than an HID kit, I'd pass because it doesn't look like that much of a difference where I'd be willing to pay a lot for them but I wouldn't mind more information on them as they sell Eiko bulbs where I work so I'm sure we would be able to get them.
Old 08-25-11, 09:35 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so what type of technology is this? what's new about it? why is it brighter? does it use a filament still? how many lumens do these bulbs put out? any side by side comparisons with HID lights?

the site is very vague about the tech.
Old 08-25-11, 10:08 PM
HALLELUJAH
Driver School Candidate

Dont want blue? go with 5000k hid. I had a pair on my white accord before i sold it and loved it. bright enough to be an hid and white enough not to be tacky. idk if im going back to 6k for my is or 5k but with the price of kits these days in the low 30s im not sweating the decision too much. replacement bulbs are about 15 bucks anyway.
Old 08-25-11, 10:22 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow this is crazy, so these are basically halogen bulbs that you just throw in your sockets? No kit needed like HID's? Hmm...
Old 08-25-11, 10:51 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

The main technology is within the filament and the thin film deposition on the glass envelope. Makes the final light coming out of the bulb as true daylight as possible. Xenon/HID have peaks in the visible spectrum, the Solux has virtually no peaks in the visible spectrum, thus a much more balanced and true full spectrum source.

It's plug and play. No ignitors, rewiring, etc.
Old 08-25-11, 11:24 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

how many watts?
Old 08-25-11, 11:31 PM
oslouie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Percy
The main technology is within the filament and the thin film deposition on the glass envelope. Makes the final light coming out of the bulb as true daylight as possible. Xenon/HID have peaks in the visible spectrum, the Solux has virtually no peaks in the visible spectrum, thus a much more balanced and true full spectrum source.

It's plug and play. No ignitors, rewiring, etc.
That's going to be interesting and a challenge to the Silverstar bulbs.
Old 08-26-11, 04:56 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oslouie
That's going to be interesting and a challenge to the Silverstar bulbs.
I've got silverstar, so i'd really like to purchase and see the difference.
Old 08-26-11, 05:01 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

The silverstar bulbs suck! Less life, less lumens than the cheaper Xtravisions. They sell a lot just because of the blue tint. I plan on putting HIR bulbs in my sockets.
Old 08-26-11, 05:31 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

actual output in lumens as compared to an HID bulb and a standard halogen?
Old 08-26-11, 06:02 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

I would love to order these for my Rav4 if the output & look is close to HID. I am unable to utilize an HID kit for the headlights the bulb acts as the DRL. These would be perfect.

I have the Silverstars in the headlight housing & 5k HID kit in the fogs @ present as seen here

I would love to see some real world pics of these bulbs from those who have them.
Old 08-26-11, 06:56 AM
fangtl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Percy
Hello all!

BRAND NEW lighting coming out from a company that is well respected in the photography/color proofing industry. They've incorporated their technology into 9005/9006,etc automotive bulbs. These are a HUGE step above Xenon/HID when it comes to color accuracy and color rendition at night. As we know, HID tends to be a little TOO blue at certain angles. The Solux / Clearvision bulbs have none of the issues of HID.

They are rated for 4600k, but don't let the numbers fool you. They are as close to natural daylight as you can get. I've experienced the Solux proofing bulbs (for color critical matching) and there is NOTHING on the market that can touch them with regards to color rendition and accuracy. In the home market, Solux will waste out Ottlite, Verilux, GE Reveal, etc by a huge margin. It's not even funny.

I'm still trying to find a local source for them, but I've known about them for quite a few months now when they were in development. A Non Disclosure Agreement prevented me from saying anything about them until very recently.

https://www.headlights123.com/clearv...headlights.php

Also check out the videos on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m_AZUcvfFs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XO0J29ayLo

Their main site - http://www.solux.net

These bulbs are game changers. Seriously. I can literally see people ripping out their HID lights (and LED lights) for these bulbs. They're THAT good.
That's great! Does Solux have any actual claims regarding brightness rather than color rendition and color accuracy?
Old 08-26-11, 07:27 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

for only $39 on that site you linked, that's not half bad! I might have to give them a try.
Old 08-26-11, 08:47 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

so are these really brighter than HID kits?

Quick Reply: The UPGRADE from Xenon/HID