GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Well I Finally supercharged my 430....but now need help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-11, 05:20 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Well I Finally supercharged my 430....but now need help/advice

Ok so after many, many years, I finally got all the parts together and supercharged my gs430. This is my first time dealing with any type of forced induction, so any help/advice will be appreciated.

So after a few major hiccups I got the car running. It's idling super smooth, but something is wrong, actually two things are wrong. One, it has low power. Now I know I may need a tune, but I am using the larger pulley and from what I have read, the stock ecu should be able to compensate for the larger injectors. Also the bov does not seem to be operating correctly.

Here are the specs for now
V2 sc unit,
rc 370cc injectors
vortech bov
3.12 pulley

Soon to be installed
2.87 pulley
Haltech Interceptor

First of all, the RMM instructions SUCK!!!!!
But me and my cousin finally got it all figured out. Also there were a few different variables seeing as how the instructions were written for a gs400 and not a gs430.

(skip past this if you don't want to read looooong details.)
Ok so here goes.
First installed the fic, next spent a few days trying to figure out where to tap the oil pan for the sc oil drain hose (drove around to shops asked cl members for advice) only to finally realize that I was just supposed to use the oil level sensor bracket on the upper oil pan. So after that was taken care of, I installed the oil line for the sc oil. Followed by removing the intake assembly, installing pulley's and then getting to the injectors. Now here is where I messed up. I started off by trying to solder the new clips on to the existing oem clips for the rc injectors. Well that didn't go so well (specially since I didn't have a power outlet nearby, so I ended up splicing into the oem wires. Now my issue was that the injector plugs have 2 wires, and one of them is significantly thinner than the other. So my 14-18gauge splicers didn't really cut into one of the wires. ( I didn't realize this until much later) So now I finished up with the install. Oh and I reused the o-rings from the rc injectors which had been sitting for roughly 5 years. (another stupid mistake). Anyway got everything put back together and finally started the car up.
Well turned on on the first attempt. And no leaks!!! But was running very rough, but the instructions said it would run rough for approx 30 mins while the ecu learns the new injectors. It actually did get smoother, but my exhaust was sputtering and turned the inside of my tailpipes black. I assume from running rich. Then bam, got a gas leak from an injector. Turned off the car and found a cracked o-ring. Instead of changing out all of the o-rings, this happened to me 2 more times before i finally went and bought new orings. Finally, no more leaks. But car was still sputtering and had some cel codes and also the abs,vsc,trac lights were on. P0172, p0175 as well as multiple misfires in cylinders. Finally ended up checking the wiring and making sure all of the wiring was making contact with the splicers. (btw I think I can change out the injectors both driver and passenger side on a gs now in under 20 mins lol) So turned the car on and idled smooth as butter instantly. Plus all misfire codes were gone. But still had the p0172 and p0175 codes. There is a difference between the 430 and 400 (one of the few I noticed at least) that isn't covered by the instructions. An extra sensor that had to be plugged into the rmm intake. It was called a vsv ccv valve (if I remember correctly). So got that taken care of and after a long time finally realized my abs sensor had accidentally been unplugged by me when moving the wiring to drill the hole to fit the intercooler piping.. So finally got everything plugged in correctly and turned the car on but still had the abs,vsc,trac lights on. My obdii reader didn't show any codes though. I then did the reset (by jumping the wire and pumping the brakes thing) but still didn't go away. Finally decided to go for a drive, and after a little bit the lights finally turned off.

So now there are absolutely no leaks, no cel light, car idles super smooth and in fact is very quiet (unless I completely mash the gas). But car feels slow and wont really rev past 4500 rpm. Also I tapped into the power steering vacuum hose (the one between the throttle body and the intake manifold), but the blow off valve is always blowing air it never closes!! So not sure whats going on there. Car does sound amazing when I floor it though. But I know the bov is not working correctly. I also tried unplugging the bov (it is closed when there is no vacuum hooked up to the bov), but still feels like lack of power.
Any suggestions???? I have new plugs which I want to install and also I am going to remove the sc belt to see how it drives without the sc. Had to work today so hopefully tomorrow I will get a chance to do it. Any other suggestions besides a tune? I will be doing that when I install my haltech interceptor.
Thanks in advance,
and special thanks to Vince and Glen. Couldn't have got this done without you guys.

Last edited by LALEX1; 08-22-11 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-22-11, 05:21 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

reserved for pics

before

intercooler install

intake assembly removed

Cutting hole for intercooler piping

SC bracket installed

Working on injectors

SC mounted

Installed (power steering reservoir not mounted yet)

Last edited by LALEX1; 08-22-11 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-23-11, 09:21 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

so did you mock this up with vince's kit or is this all yours?

congrats man....i think i seen one other GS430 with a SC and he couldnt get it to run correctly so he removed it
Old 08-23-11, 09:52 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Brian, parts of my kit were replicated in order to make his kit complete again.
Old 08-23-11, 10:32 AM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

This is the same RMM kit that was successfully on 3 other cl members cars. There was an issue when I purchased it from the previous member who owned it and some key parts were lost in the transaction. Thanks to Vince I was able to have those parts copied and now have a complete kit. 2 of the 3 members that owned this kit are still on this site, but neither of them actually installed the kit themselves, so not sure if they could really help with any of my issues. The guy I purchased the kit from is no longer on this site and I have no way of getting a hold of him.
I will get this kit to run perfectly. I'm sure with my Haltech interceptor and a tune it will run good, just don't get whats causing the lag in acceleration now.
Old 08-23-11, 11:11 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

get the BOV working yet? press on the middle bolt on the diaphram when the BOV is off to see if theres spring retention and that nothing is bad.
Old 08-23-11, 11:37 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LALEX1
This is the same RMM kit that was successfully on 3 other cl members cars. There was an issue when I purchased it from the previous member who owned it and some key parts were lost in the transaction. Thanks to Vince I was able to have those parts copied and now have a complete kit. 2 of the 3 members that owned this kit are still on this site, but neither of them actually installed the kit themselves, so not sure if they could really help with any of my issues. The guy I purchased the kit from is no longer on this site and I have no way of getting a hold of him.
I will get this kit to run perfectly. I'm sure with my Haltech interceptor and a tune it will run good, just don't get whats causing the lag in acceleration now.
yeah i remember talking to you about it last year

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ercharger.html

so with having to get the parts fabbed what was your total cost of this?

way off topic...

besides gillexus's LMS SC gs430 i havent seen another gs430 SC besides this one

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ged-gs430.html
Old 08-23-11, 12:02 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sakataj
yeah i remember talking to you about it last year

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ercharger.html

so with having to get the parts fabbed what was your total cost of this?

way off topic...

besides gillexus's LMS SC gs430 i havent seen another gs430 SC besides this one

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ged-gs430.html
I spent roughly 1500 to have the parts fabbed, and I think 4400 is what I paid for the kit. I honestly dont remember exactly what it was. Its been 5+ years.
So I guess I'm the only RMM gs430 for now?? Actually wait, the only sc'd GS430 actually running (though not well for now)?
Old 08-23-11, 12:44 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

1) lol...it's pretty funny that you did the install in a frickin' parking garage!
2) Congratulations - the kit seems like a nice one!
3) Did you do any mods to the transmission? Because once you get it runnig "real good" your tranny could burn up from all that power going through it. People usually get a tranny cooler, a high stall torque converter and also a valve body upgrade for firmer shifts to hold the power. If not, you should.
4) The new spark plugs that you bought...are they at least 1 step colder than OEM plugs? They should be.
5) A big part in this could simply be the tuning.

I know all about this because I have had my damn SRT Stage 3 SC kit sitting in my basement for almost a year now. After seeing what your going through (and me not having ANY instructions), I may just drop the car off to MO at SRT for a couple of weeks and $2500 bucks later. Complete with VB upgrade, installation of kit, tuning and addition of larger fuel pump; not a bad price for all this.

Good luck! HOPEFULLY now someone will put some videos up on line for our enjoyment. I am sick of seeing the stupid burnout one and 1/4 mile one from 5 years ago on youtube. lol
Old 08-23-11, 12:49 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LALEX1
I spent roughly 1500 to have the parts fabbed, and I think 4400 is what I paid for the kit. I honestly dont remember exactly what it was. Its been 5+ years.
So I guess I'm the only RMM gs430 for now?? Actually wait, the only sc'd GS430 actually running (though not well for now)?
man that sucks....ups ever reimburse you?

yes, atm you are, but whitegs430 (mitch) in canada will have his LMS SC installed sometime soon (i think) on his gs430
Old 08-23-11, 01:04 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
1) lol...it's pretty funny that you did the install in a frickin' parking garage!
2) Congratulations - the kit seems like a nice one!
3) Did you do any mods to the transmission? Because once you get it runnig "real good" your tranny could burn up from all that power going through it. People usually get a tranny cooler, a high stall torque converter and also a valve body upgrade for firmer shifts to hold the power. If not, you should.
4) The new spark plugs that you bought...are they at least 1 step colder than OEM plugs? They should be.
5) A big part in this could simply be the tuning.

I know all about this because I have had my damn SRT Stage 3 SC kit sitting in my basement for almost a year now. After seeing what your going through (and me not having ANY instructions), I may just drop the car off to MO at SRT for a couple of weeks and $2500 bucks later. Complete with VB upgrade, installation of kit, tuning and addition of larger fuel pump; not a bad price for all this.

Good luck! HOPEFULLY now someone will put some videos up on line for our enjoyment. I am sick of seeing the stupid burnout one and 1/4 mile one from 5 years ago on youtube. lol
1)Lol yes i did do the install in a parking garage. Worst part was there were no accessible power outlets !!!
2)Thanks I'm pumped and it sounds freakin amazing!!
3)I have a PI torque converter 2800 stall speed as well as a tranny intercooler installed. Its actually sandwiched inbetween the intercooler and the radiator. Seems to still be getting sufficient airflow though.
4) Yes the plugs I have are colder, (they were specifically purchased for use with the supercharger)
5) My haltech will be installed soon as well as a proper tune.

Oh yeah I might start a build thread as I have plenty of other parts to install.
Including my ppe headers which are sitting in my room

And I will post some proper videos once everything is running correctly. I do also have a video of how it sounds but I need to use a good camera as my videos were just shot on my blackberry. (sound sucks on blackberry)

man that sucks....ups ever reimburse you?

yes, atm you are, but whitegs430 (mitch) in canada will have his LMS SC installed sometime soon (i think) on his gs430
Yes ups helped with the situation. But that was another huge hassle as well. Anyway I'm happy I have the kit now and I will get it running correctly.
Old 08-23-11, 01:55 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Congrats.. The SC looks very nice under the GS hood...

BTW.. there's a 2000 GS400 RMM SC'd on ebay selling for 10k...

Hope you get 430 running corrrectly.. in for vids...
Old 08-23-11, 02:10 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmf2004

link?

im def in for video also...i hope u get it running correctly also...who is gonna tune this for you? u gonna stay piggyback or go to standalone?

also whats with the junkyard motor though OP? i see the junkyard writing on the upper intake manifold
Old 08-23-11, 02:27 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Congrats.. The SC looks very nice under the GS hood...

Thanks man. I love the way it looks and sounds at the moment.

link?

im def in for video also...i hope u get it running correctly also...who is gonna tune this for you? u gonna stay piggyback or go to standalone?

also whats with the junkyard motor though OP? i see the junkyard writing on the upper intake manifold
I think I will stick with the haltech which is a piggy back. I will be using that since it was successfully used with the two previous owners. I just tried tightening everything up and disconnected the bov. It pulled great and even spun the tires at around 40-45 mph in a straight line!!!! But then I got a cel light so now I'm back to trying to figure this out. I don't want to damage anything. Codes says I'm running rich (better than lean I guess) but I gotta get this figured out. I'll keep you guys updated.

Oh yeah a while back I hydrolocked my engine when it was raining out here in so cal. Insurance replaced it with the one you see in the pics. 2005 gs430 engine with 27,000mi. So my engine now basically has about 35,000 miles
Old 08-23-11, 02:44 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

its running rich because the injectores are staying open the same amount of time as the stock ones would if you were to run boost. if you were to run the stock injectors it would be a little better.

example would be...

1/4" air line opening for 1 second (this represents your stock injectors)
3/8" air line opening for 1 second (this represents your RC injectors).

Both are spraying for 1 second as the ECU is programmed to do at a set air flow but the 3/8th is spraying way more in that 1 second time frame..

something like that. hah

Quick Reply: Well I Finally supercharged my 430....but now need help/advice