GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

JDM Power folding mirror install

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-12, 02:07 PM
77i9
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those that want to convert to JDM mirrors and are worried about the angle of the mirror, I found a simple fix.
When you disassemble the mirror base(the part that attaches to the car) from the mirror assembly, you will see the bottom of the motor/shaft assembly.
The image below is just a representation of the bottom view so that you can get an idea of what I am talking about.
An insert placed on fold out side will prevent the mirror from folding out too much.
You would just need to figure out the thickness needed to stop the mirror at the right angle.
Now I don't actually need to do this as I just use my switch to stop the mirror at the angle that I want.
Hope this helps.

[IMG][/IMG]

Just to update on my powerfolding mirrors:
Everything has been working fine with the exception of no memory function and no autotint.
I really get to appreciate them when parking in tight spots where you know that people will
be hitting ur mirrors.
As much as I love my mirrors now, I will be upgrading them to Kazz LED mirrors w/ puddle
lights. They also come with auto tint, but I don't really need or use them.
Old 06-08-13, 11:58 AM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BCHDAZ

What's the name of this wire connector and where can I get it?
Old 06-08-13, 09:34 PM
77i9
Lead Lap

it's called a terminal connector block and you can buy them on ebay
Old 02-01-14, 05:24 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Power Folding Mirrors Install

Originally Posted by sakataj
thanks gene, i hope u didnt mind me posting that.....

man the jdm plug is so much smaller than the usdm

well HERE'S pics of plugs of BOTH the 2001+ model and of a 98 model....i have BOTH these mirrors in my possession ATM

i will have to get back to you to let u know which is which as i forgot to label them but i can figure it out. only real difference in them is one wire.the plugs (from the top) 3rd spot from the right has a different color wire

Hi sakataj,

Can you please send me the information how the wires from the JDM to the USA Mirrors? I buy and I try to mach the wires to make work the JDM Mirrors but I can not. Can you email me or send me the mach wires configuration that you have in your pwer Folding Mirrors please. I'm very frustrated with this mirrors. Please, help me
Old 02-02-14, 04:38 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Default JDM Power Folding Mirrors

Can you please send me the information how do you do the wires configuration from the JDM to the USA Mirrors? I buy and I try to mach the wires to make work the JDM Mirrors but I can not. Can you email me or send me the mach wires configuration that you have in your power Folding Mirrors please. I'm very frustrated with this mirrors. Please, help me
Thanks you so much for any help.
Old 02-06-14, 06:00 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Default I need help with the JDM Power Folding Mirrors

Originally Posted by BCHDAZ
ok ok... here's what i got...

my car had folding mirrors when i got it, but the shaft on one was broken as a prior owner had backed it up and snapped the shaft. the only mirror i could get my hands on was a green lexus/usdm one that was not power folding. after pulling the broken one off the car there was no looking back. i ended up only using the folding mechanism and brackets the motor that was mounted in, as the motor had way to many wires and i was not committed enough to try and figure out how to rewire the motor when i had one i knew worked. as i had everything in pieces i changed the outer housing and the bracket for the blue one off my car (rather than having to get the new bits repainted). either way im sure you could do the same thing with the USDM one's, though you may want to solder up the joints instead of being a cheater like myself.

right (the powered one)

left (the replaced one. also note only 3 wires to the motor. standard JDM)

behind the skin

the JDM plug (the two wire on top are for the power fold. Blue x1 silver stripe and green x2 silver stripes)

where i will solder one day

also im happy to take more photos if you wish.
Hi,

Sorry that I will continue asking the same theme. But they are becoming more and more details that I see in your pictures. The FEMALE plug in the door of your car, only has 7 wires, right? The rason why I ask this is because my car brought 11 wires male plug in the mirror and is connected to a female plug with 11 wires as well. I know I have to remove those 5 wires that I not need to used on my female plug and then, connect the JDM wires mirrors to the original female connector that brings my car to make work properly JDM Mirrors. But, what I do not understand is that the pictures you show here is, where these plugs your using and that I see in the pictures come from? Is because you car brought this small plugs?? The only rason that I think your car brought this small plugs is because your car did not bring the memory mirrors and heat mirror, Right ? That's why your plugs are smaller to mine right? So, if that is the reason, I just have to connect or match the wires of my JDM mirrors to my factory original female connector wires to make my JDM mirrors work like the factory mirrors, Right? Sorry for so many questions and my ignorance about this, but what I want is be sure 100% about these connections with the wires and not damage the mechanism of the mirrors or the computer that controls the mirrors. Thank you for you time to answer all my questions.

Thanks again,
Mcon
Old 02-08-14, 04:33 PM
77i9
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mcon
Hi,

Sorry that I will continue asking the same theme. But they are becoming more and more details that I see in your pictures. The FEMALE plug in the door of your car, only has 7 wires, right? The rason why I ask this is because my car brought 11 wires male plug in the mirror and is connected to a female plug with 11 wires as well. I know I have to remove those 5 wires that I not need to used on my female plug and then, connect the JDM wires mirrors to the original female connector that brings my car to make work properly JDM Mirrors. But, what I do not understand is that the pictures you show here is, where these plugs your using and that I see in the pictures come from? Is because you car brought this small plugs?? The only rason that I think your car brought this small plugs is because your car did not bring the memory mirrors and heat mirror, Right ? That's why your plugs are smaller to mine right? So, if that is the reason, I just have to connect or match the wires of my JDM mirrors to my factory original female connector wires to make my JDM mirrors work like the factory mirrors, Right? Sorry for so many questions and my ignorance about this, but what I want is be sure 100% about these connections with the wires and not damage the mechanism of the mirrors or the computer that controls the mirrors. Thank you for you time to answer all my questions.

Thanks again,
Mcon
I already posted the answer in your thread.
Old 02-08-14, 04:52 PM
77i9
Lead Lap

After some back reading and looking at the pics in this thread, it got me thinking. I think that it might be possible to swap a usdm mirror glass motor assembly( the part that moves the glass) into a jdm mirror housing. I believe that this will solve the memory function loss. Any thoughts?
Old 02-09-14, 07:32 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 77i9
After some back reading and looking at the pics in this thread, it got me thinking. I think that it might be possible to swap a usdm mirror glass motor assembly( the part that moves the glass) into a jdm mirror housing. I believe that this will solve the memory function loss. Any thoughts?
I want to try to do this today or maybe tomorrow if I have a time and I realy let you know about it.
Old 02-13-14, 10:02 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Hi 77i9,

I not had too much time to write to you back, sorry . Last Sunday I installing the folding motors on my original frame mirrors. WHATTTTTTTTTTT???? Yesssssssss, I installing the folding motor in my original folding mirrors frame and did not lose any of the futures of my mirrors. As the heated mirrors, memory, movement, diam. I start remove the mirrors of each frame mirrors, after take the mirrors out, I take the base out of each one, get the base of my original mirror that uses a spring, then remove the motor from the base of Japanese mirror and transfer it to USAD Mirror Frame. EVERYTHING FITS INTO PLACE OR POSITION WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM. What I do not like the whole process was having to cut the wires of each mirror to TRANSFER the MOTOR to the original mirror FRAME. The reason for this is that all the wires pass through the center of the MOTOR and THE BASE SPING of the original mirror and you need to transfer THE MOTOR to the original Mirror FRAME.

NOTE: Cut all the wires as close as you can to the MALE PLUG and then connect them back of the easiest way for you. I connect back all the wires of my mirror with my BUTT CONNECTORS and it became easier that way for me. I tell you this because that way you won’t have problems installing the interior door panel back to the door with the wires on the way of the panel door. All cables do not interfere when you installing the door panel back. But YESSSSSSSSSSS, you can transfer the FOLDING MOTOR to the ORIGINAL FRAME USAD MIRRORS. I not has time to install the ORIGINAL switch that day, but I can make work with the mirrors.

HERE IS THE DETAIL: You have to make take the Switch Mirrors from your car out and behind the switch is a MALE PLUG very close to the original mirror switch. Is attach with tape to the wires harness of the mirror switch. My GS300 04 brought this factory male plug wires with other harness in that area.

The Male PLUG have 4 wires and the MALE PLUG is dark gray color. Is easy to see it.
This PLUG HAVE 4 WIRES
Green, is to give power to the bulb that brings the switch.
White with Green line and White with Black Line are the Ground. This 2 wires need to connect to one of each wires coming out of the Folding Motors. I need to see which one go to each one.
Pink, is what gives power to the Folding Mirror Motor and I think need to connect to the GREEN wire that come from the Folding Motor

I don’t know how to send or add photo to this site, but if you pm me your personal email I be glad to send you all the pictures so you see how I did it all this process. Also, I will let you know later as how I installing the original switch to the folding mirrors wires to make it work as supposed.
Old 02-14-14, 06:23 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Default JDM Power Folding Mirrors

Originally Posted by excluesive
really shouldnt be too hard.... i think integrating the switch would be the hardest part.
I installing the folding motors on my original frame mirrors. WHATTTTTTTTTTT???? Yesssssssss, I installing the folding motor in my original folding mirrors frame and did not lose any of the futures of my mirrors. As the heated mirrors, memory, movement, diam. I start remove the mirrors of each frame (JDM and USAD) mirrors. After take the mirrors out, I take the base out of each one, get the base that use a spring of my original mirror, then remove the motor from the Japanese mirror and transfer it to the USAD Mirror Frame. EVERYTHING FITS INTO THE PLACE OR POSITION WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM. What I do not like the whole process was having to cut the wires of each mirror to TRANSFER the MOTOR to the original USAD mirror FRAME. The reason for this is, that all the wires pass through the center of THE MOTOR and THE BASE SPING of the original mirror and you need to transfer THE MOTOR FOLDING MIRROR to the original Mirror FRAME.

NOTE: Cut all the wires close as you can to the MALE PLUG and then connect them back of the easiest way for you. I connect back all the wires of my mirror with my BUTT CONNECTORS and it became easier that way for me. I tell you this guys because that way you won’t have problems installing the interior door panel back to the door with the wires on the way of the panel door. That way all the mirrors cables do not interfere when you installing the door panel back. But YESSSSSSSSSSS, you can transfer the FOLDING MOTOR to the ORIGINAL FRAME USAD MIRRORS. I not has time to install the ORIGINAL switch get, but I can make work with the mirrors.

HERE IS THE DETAIL OF THE SWITCH FOLDING MIRROR: You have to REMOVE the Switch Mirrors from your DASH OUT and behind the switch is a MALE PLUG very close to the original mirror switch plug. Is attach with tape to the wires harness of the mirror switch. My GS300 04 brought this factory male plug wires with other harness in that area.

The Male PLUG have 4 wires and the MALE PLUG is dark gray color. You can see it easily and is just pug and play with the switch of the folding mirrors. Believe me is easy to see it after you remove the switch from your dash.
This PLUG HAVE 4 WIRES
Green, is to give power to the bulb that brings the switch.
White with Green line and White with Black Line are the Ground. This 2 wires need to connect to one of each wires coming out of the Folding Motors. I need to see which one go to each one.
Pink, is what gives power to the Folding Mirror Motor and I think need to connect to the GREEN wire that come from the Folding Motor

Guys, I don’t know how to add pictures to this site get, but if you pm me your personal email I be glad to send you all the pictures that I take for all this process that I do and that way you can see how I did it. Also, I will let you know later as how I installing the original switch to the folding mirrors wires to make it work as supposed. Peace out every one and have fond with your new power folding mirrors
Old 08-21-14, 06:43 PM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's it going guys, any updates on this? It looked like Mcon found a way to have power folding mirrors while keeping the other functions working. I want to know if anyone did this?
Old 08-21-14, 09:48 PM
77i9
Lead Lap

Yes he managed to swap out the mirror motor and retained the memory function
Old 08-21-14, 11:25 PM
iToaster
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I did a similar thing when I installed mine. I ended up making a "hybrid" mirror by removing the folding frame from JDM mirrors and replacing the one in my USDM mirrors with it. I just removed the pins from the connectors and fed them back through the mirror instead of cutting them. Everything works as it should.

Also, I used Aristo door computers instead of fussing around with relays and wiring. The #1 body computer (passenger footwell) sends a retract signal to the door computers if pin 7 sees ground, which I wired through a factory switch. Here's a post I made about it with some pictures if anybody is interested.
Old 08-22-14, 09:10 AM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks this confirms it for me. So I'll get JDM Power mirrors (I'll be great if they had turn signals on them as well), Aristo door ECM(would I need one, or one for each door?), and where did you get the switch above the park brake release(what's that middle button for, and was it plug and play?).

Quick Reply: JDM Power folding mirror install