GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My JZS161 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-14, 05:53 AM
Moose161
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the engine and gearbox in
clutch works thus far
doing wiring at the moment... being a small pain
still need to get driveshaft made up and finish the rest of the exhaust
also to put the interior back together with a new centre console section for the gear lever.

Copy and paste from my tech question thread incase no one sees it there:

Hi guys,

I have an 00 GS300 that i have done a single turbo GTE and Getrag swap with.
I have some questions regarding the ECU and electronics in general...

I will be using a Haltech Platinum Sports 2000 stand alone for engine management which will include:
injectors
ignition
fuel pump control
water temp sensing
cam/crank angle sensing
TPS
VVTi
idle control
thermo and oil cooler fans

I need to have the factory ecu in place for the following things to work:
tacho
temp gauge - not vital as i have an aftermarket anyway
oil pressure light
oil level light
charge light
aircon control

From what i understand, to be able to piggy back it I will need to common the Crank & Cam angle sensors, the water temp sensor and the TPS (which is actually a Nissan item).
It will also still utilise the security system that is embedded in the NA ECU

My Concerns/Questions:
I am concerned about interference on the Cam & Crank angle sensors by having both ECU’s commoned.
I am also worried that the factory ECU may simply go into limp mode and provide none of the functions i want from it, due to having a substantially limited amount of inputs compared to the factory setup.

Can anyone provide ANY sort of information regarding this type of setup or forward me onto someone that may know?

Many thanks in advance!

Mini photo dump

Old 04-11-14, 05:56 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

nice progress . wish I had the knowledge to build and swap in. a 2j like some of you have. impressive
Old 04-15-14, 11:40 PM
BosuGS
Driver School Candidate

Hey Moose,

Killa build thread, nice to see your still following through with it after all this time. I'm a fellow Aussie GS300 owner as well, i'm in Adelaide.

I'm also doing the GTE conversion on my '98 GS but I've found (believe or not) a complete JZS161 front cut at a wrecker here in Adelaide (not naming my source :P) I couldn't believe my eyes when I spotted the distinct headlights sitting on top of a container in the wrecking yard only to discover when I stopped in that it had the Toyota badge on it and my excitement went through the roof!

I'm going to keep the twin turbo setup and automatic trans as I enjoy the luxury feel and don't want to be changing gears all the time (I do that all day long in my Hiace work van). I'm also not going for stupid power, only base supporting mods such as exhaust, intercooler, fuel pump etc other than that it will be running all the stock 161 gear.

Basically building it as a sleeper as I want everyone to think its just a GS300 but underneath its all Aristo :P

I love that Trust FMIC kit, what did it set you back if you don't mind me asking? Does it come black like yours?

Will be good to watch your progress, love the single turbo setup!

-Chris
BosuGS
Old 04-18-14, 05:56 AM
ELLeon
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I like that hand brake conversion, I'm planning on doing the same conversion. I am just waiting on the motor, I recently created a thread about doing the same conversion but now I could ask you for some more insight on what you had to do to get it right. Excited to see your finished work.
Old 04-18-14, 07:00 AM
josey88
Driver

Everything that I have ever done to my car before , is child`s play compared to what this guy is doing ... I am really impressed !!!
Old 04-18-14, 09:45 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The haltech can't control all the functions of the car. I'm
Using proefi and hopefully I won't have to use the stock ecu for anything. I am
Doing the getrag swap with 2jzgte vvti in a 2002 gs300. Hopefully I don't run into that many problems.
Old 04-28-14, 04:46 AM
Moose161
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BosuGS
Hey Moose,
I love that Trust FMIC kit, what did it set you back if you don't mind me asking? Does it come black like yours?
-Chris
BosuGS
Sounds like a cool build man!

I cant remember exactly how much it cost. it wasn't outrageous though. Definitely recommend the kit though as it comes with absolutely everything to bolt onto a standard setup.
I ended up cutting half of mine up and changing it due to going single. all the piping and the cooler come in a polished finish, i just painted it all black.
Originally Posted by jwin
The haltech can't control all the functions of the car. I'm
Using proefi and hopefully I won't have to use the stock ecu for anything. I am
Doing the getrag swap with 2jzgte vvti in a 2002 gs300. Hopefully I don't run into that many problems.
I know the haltech cant control everything, hence the post about piggybacking with the factory ecu
If you read my post, there is literally no possible way on these cars to run the following without the factory ecu in place (unless you modify your dash cluster and hard wire your signal input to it somehow)

tacho - gets its signal via the ECU from the ignitor
temp gauge - signal via ECU
oil pressure light - Via ECU
oil level light - via ECU
charge light - via ECU
aircon control - Via ECU ( it would be possible to control this with the haltech, or many other aftermarket ecu's, however it would be a bit of fiddling and extra wiring... since i'm retaining the factory ecu i opted not to do this)
Old 05-01-14, 01:34 PM
dbogotti92
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

such an awesome build your doing
Old 06-06-14, 02:21 PM
MCBob
Driver School Candidate

Im in the same place regarding the ecu. Not sure what will keep all the factory things going. Ive been assured an AEM will work. But some people are telling me I need to keep the stock and some saying not..

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drif...2-skiddah.html
Old 06-06-14, 10:33 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Moose, you have an awesome build going!! You've definitely taken the 2JZ swap and made it look like a factory-fresh setup. The single just adds that much more to it.

MCBob, I've seen your build over on Club Aristo and your build is something like awesome as well lol. Wanna do a manual swap for my 3UZ? Keep it up bro!
Old 06-07-14, 03:15 PM
MCBob
Driver School Candidate

Haha I can barely get mine right. Laid some sick 11s with it though tonight without breaking..
Old 06-09-14, 09:20 PM
Jomeezy
Driver School Candidate

Awesome build man!! Good work. Looking good!!
Old 07-22-14, 12:15 AM
Moose161
Driver School Candidate

So i got it running!

yet to drive it as i have only just put my diff back in with the kaaz 2way centre.
got a driveshaft made up and have started making the front half of the exhaust.
Thus far everything works bar the speedo, and im yet to test the air con control (no gas).

photos

Still need to finish the rear half of the exhaust and run in the diff. Then its ready for a tune!
might attempt to put some of the interior back together in between as well.....(-_-)
Old 07-22-14, 12:18 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

its getting there... did you make those rear diff bushings?
Old 07-22-14, 06:08 AM
armanitran
Lead Lap

oooh, your car is coming along nicely! What Turbo are you using? The black IC give it a nice subtle sleeper look.

Quick Reply: My JZS161 conversion