GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Mark Levinson 10" Subwoofer replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-23, 10:21 AM
TampaBrian
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Mark Levinson 10" Subwoofer replacement

Hello all - Has anyone had to replace the factory 10" ML subwoofer in their GS? I'm debating between getting a used one on eBay or getting an aftermarket one. In my experience with the ML system, it does not really play well with aftermarket speakers. If I did try aftermarket I know I would have to get a 2ohm SW. Any advise from someone who has changed one would be much appreciated.

- 2005 GS430
Old 02-18-23, 10:42 AM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

First, what's wrong with the old one? The foam surrounds tend to rot after 15-20 years, but can be replaced. I did mine; there's an illustrated write up on this forum. There's a fair amount of work that goes into it, starting with removing the rear seat. IIRC, the ML sub on my 2002 was 8 ohm, although it's been a while.
Old 02-18-23, 12:57 PM
TampaBrian
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by natman
First, what's wrong with the old one? The foam surrounds tend to rot after 15-20 years, but can be replaced. I did mine; there's an illustrated write up on this forum. There's a fair amount of work that goes into it, starting with removing the rear seat. IIRC, the ML sub on my 2002 was 8 ohm, although it's been a while.
The speaker rattles when you turn it up a bit. Kinda sounds like paper/cardboard making a rattling sound. Maybe you are correct about the foam. I guess regardless of whether or not its just the foam replacement or a replacement speaker, I will have to take the seats out etc. Thinking I may just do that and have a look before ordering anything.

I am curious if anyone has replaced the sub with a "better" aftermarket woofer with a poly cone and how that sounds if so.

Also I have searched the forum and no one seems to know exactly what ohm the subwoofer is. I thought most factory systems were 2ohms but I'm seeing recommendations all over the map.
Old 02-18-23, 04:59 PM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TampaBrian
The speaker rattles when you turn it up a bit. Kinda sounds like paper/cardboard making a rattling sound. Maybe you are correct about the foam. I guess regardless of whether or not its just the foam replacement or a replacement speaker, I will have to take the seats out etc. Thinking I may just do that and have a look before ordering anything.

I am curious if anyone has replaced the sub with a "better" aftermarket woofer with a poly cone and how that sounds if so.

Also I have searched the forum and no one seems to know exactly what ohm the subwoofer is. I thought most factory systems were 2ohms but I'm seeing recommendations all over the map.
Chances are excellent that it's the foam. Here's a link to a new surround:
Lexus Mark Levinson Speaker Foam Edge Repair Replacement Kit, 86160-0W210, Lexus, FSK-10M (simplyspeakers.com)

Follow the directions carefully, it's important to keep the cone centered when you glue the new surround on. But it's quite possible to do if you work with care.
Here's a video showing how the repair is done:

Lexus used a lot of different subwoofers, which is why it's so difficult to get a handle on how many ohms the sub uses. Once you get it repaired, the ML sub works surprisingly well, especially given the size and weight of the driver and the amount of power available. All three are smaller than ideal, but it works nevertheless. I wouldn't go to a different driver unless you are prepared to change everything. The shortcoming of the ML system is the tiny door speakers, not the subwoofer.
Old 02-19-23, 05:47 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

OP, this subject has been addressed so many times since 1998, including the ohms based on your year, so please review the sticky links at the top of the forum. Almost 99% of owners replace the old technology, crappy sub with a new sub and amp. Just find an inexpensive free air sub and amp if you’re frugal. I used an infinity kappa free air sub with an inexpensive amp. You can literally correct your setup with $200.
Old 02-19-23, 05:49 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by natman
Chances are excellent that it's the foam. Here's a link to a new surround:
Lexus Mark Levinson Speaker Foam Edge Repair Replacement Kit, 86160-0W210, Lexus, FSK-10M (simplyspeakers.com)

Follow the directions carefully, it's important to keep the cone centered when you glue the new surround on. But it's quite possible to do if you work with care.
Here's a video showing how the repair is done:
https://youtu.be/vDHEbiyBt9I

Lexus used a lot of different subwoofers, which is why it's so difficult to get a handle on how many ohms the sub uses. Once you get it repaired, the ML sub works surprisingly well, especially given the size and weight of the driver and the amount of power available. All three are smaller than ideal, but it works nevertheless. I wouldn't go to a different driver unless you are prepared to change everything. The shortcoming of the ML system is the tiny door speakers, not the subwoofer.
I agree. I replaced the oem door speakers with 6.5” speakers to work with the new sub, double din, and amp.
Old 03-10-23, 09:53 AM
sunpadre
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the speaker start to separate from the cone several years ago, exhibiting the same sound of paper/cardboard rattling. I just re-glued the separated and cracked cone locations with a hot glue gun - and reinforced the rest for good measure since I was in there already. It's held up so far, fingers crossed it'll continue to last!