GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Crap...had this done by the dealer less than 15k miles ago...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-11, 07:17 PM
poohunny
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crap...had this done by the dealer less than 15k miles ago...

Driving along today and the battery light comes on the I hear a whir and then power steering is out. Serpentine belt went less than 15k after the dealer replaced it. Would this cause any damage that I should look into?

I see that all the pulleys it is connected to (idle, ac compressor, alternator, etc.) are spinning freely except two. The tensioner I believe (the pulley that does not have any grooves in it....) and the big pulley on the bottom (crankshaft?) are not spinning freely.

Is the crankshaft pulley/tensioner supposed to feel seized/hard to spin? Or is it supposed to spin freely too?

Many thanks in advance to you guys!!!
Old 07-01-11, 07:38 PM
Sick03L
Driver

Ummmmmmm.. You better hope your crank pulley does not spin freely....lol. If the tensioner pully is froze up then that is what ate your belt. Replace it ( these are a maintenance item everybody overlooks) and your belt and ride out.
Old 07-01-11, 07:42 PM
poohunny
Rookie

ROFL...that's very good to know....I know, I know...I'm a noob. =)

Yeah, the tensioner pulley is the one without the grooves on it right? That's the one that won't spin freely. Sounds like this will be a fairly cheap and and quick DIY. You are the man!!
Old 07-01-11, 07:45 PM
Sick03L
Driver

Originally Posted by poohunny
ROFL...that's very good to know....I know, I know...I'm a noob. =)

Yeah, the tensioner pulley is the one without the grooves on it right? That's the one that won't spin freely. Sounds like this will be a fairly cheap and and quick DIY. You are the man!!
Yes you are correct.
Old 07-01-11, 08:43 PM
KenMasters
Rookie

Serpentine also turns the water pump, be careful not to let the car overheat, turn the heater on full if you run it at all. The heater core should pull some fluid through, enough for an emergency mile or two.
Old 07-01-11, 08:53 PM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

did you see any glazing or felt the belt hot to the touch most time as far as i can remember when the pulley starts going you would often hear a whining noise (amost like a super charger) or the pulley wobble.....
Old 07-01-11, 10:44 PM
poohunny
Rookie

Kenmasters, we pulled over as soon as it happened, driving no more than 75 ft. Should be fine I think...u?

No glazing on the belt, it just looks like it broke apart, and we heard a whine for a split second before you could hear the belt come loose and snap around inside the engine bay..but what do you mean by pulley wobble?
Old 07-02-11, 12:55 AM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that just gave me a reason to do full maintenance.
Old 07-02-11, 07:18 AM
KenMasters
Rookie

Originally Posted by poohunny
Kenmasters, we pulled over as soon as it happened, driving no more than 75 ft. Should be fine I think...u?

No glazing on the belt, it just looks like it broke apart, and we heard a whine for a split second before you could hear the belt come loose and snap around inside the engine bay..but what do you mean by pulley wobble?
You should be fine, Happened to me on my Evolution and I went for at least 1/2 a mile. It's an experience I'll never forget
Old 07-02-11, 07:48 AM
poohunny
Rookie

ROFL....good to know KenMasters, I know evos can be very particular in maintenence. I assume the bad boy came out ok? I just ordered the tensioner pulley assembly and the belt so should have it done later today.
Old 07-02-11, 11:06 AM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

Crank not suppose to move freely by hand ....now the pulley has to a firm feeling meaning no side to side movement just firm but u can move it freely.....
Once I had my crank pulley come off that was funny I had to laugh and drive slowly home for 1/2 mile and it died right in front of my drive way lmafo now to think of it
Old 07-02-11, 01:42 PM
poohunny
Rookie

lol...i can't imagine having the crank pulley just fall off you...man...

well looks like I am just replacing the pulley because I removed the three bolts and could not get the tensioner assembly off. So I pulled the pulley off and tried replacing it out of the unit I bought, but the pulley was the wrong size anyway...too small. So now I am waiting to find a pulley so I can take car of this freakin 15 minute job...and everyone is closed for the weekend....ARRRRGGGHHH!!!!
Old 07-02-11, 05:41 PM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

Bolt came loose idk how that happen but it did I tell you this now I now why most drag racer don't have. Belt only electric fan. The motor spin very fast my car rev like a speed bike fast
Old 07-03-11, 09:07 AM
poohunny
Rookie

i can imagine...lol...that must have been a very surprising experience. Running that high rpms would probably melt a belt only fan....

So looks like i only need to replace my pulley after all...if I can find someplace with the right size...i went to NAPA and all they had listed for a 98 gs400 is an 83mm pulley, whereas, my OEM one is 102mm...what size do u guys have in your gs40's?
Old 07-05-11, 01:16 PM
poohunny
Rookie

update for anyone who comes across this issue and is in the same pickle.

If you need a belt tensioner pulley, and don't want to go to the dealer who only sells the whole assembly, make sure you get a NAPA brand tensioner pulley. Perfect fit, no muss no fuss. 10 minute install. The other brands they had in stock were all NOT the right size even though it is listed in their system as such.