GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2GS MEMBERS PLEASE READ: Re-establishing a sense of community in the 2Gen GS forum

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-11, 05:53 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by engin_ear
Well, I've been floating around here close to 10 years now, and I'll have to politely disagree with those that are suggesting to offer solutions to help people search, and that it doesn't take much time to help people with a short writeup. The problem is that it actually DOES take a lot of time, when you sum up all the time spend replying to the many requests. Furthermore, and more importantly, time has been taken over the years, especially in the 2GS forum, to write up complete descriptive solutions to just about everything that might be encountered, for every major subsystem. So just jumping in and asking a question that could be answered very completely by doing a 10 millisecond search isn't productive for ANYBODY, including the requester. The requester learns a lot more by actually searching and finding groups of posts and responses dealing with the exact topic, and the responder or moderator is not burdened with the task of having to write up the same exact information that was written up possibly hundreds of times before, and often it's tough to remember the exact complete information that was already written down.
What I suggest to people is, spend 30 minutes of your time searching and looking through related posts and learning. If you can't get the answers at that point, anyone would be insane not to help you further. Explain that you have already searched, and did not find what you were looking for. The burden is on the requester to do a bit of legwork and also be clear in explaining what is needed.

My $0.02. BTW, I just jumped on here because my GS is choking and stalling now, prob a MAF sensor or oxygen sensor problem. Being sure that I'm not the first one with this problem, I will search to see what everyone else has done. If info is not sufficient, I will post.

Hey mahn, great to see you still on here. This is Mike/1sick Great post!
Old 07-29-11, 01:34 AM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
sounds good........maybe this can help to bring back ALOT of the old OG's who lurk but dont post
always lurking.....
Old 07-29-11, 10:17 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by PandaGS430
always lurking.....
i ALMOST knew you would post for that......thats ok, i stalk you andy. i STILL want your car so badly man.

whats been new man? i might just bump one of your threads to show off your clean *** car to alot of these noobs
Old 07-29-11, 02:12 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by engin_ear
Well, I've been floating around here close to 10 years now, and I'll have to politely disagree.......
Agree, I have been a member of ClubLexus for well over 10 years, started off with a LS, then IS, now GS. I have seen the differrent fads and the people that comes with those fads, sadly the "newbies" expect answers without putting in any work. I personally always do a search and read for hours before posting a question if I am still unclear, and that is the way it should be. Another thing is that since the cost of cars become cheaper, so does the age of the owners/drivers, sadly it seems that some of them can not even compose a sentence and get angry when people either do not understand the question or poke fun at them. I understand what ClubLexus is trying to achieve, however this is the real world and should be moderated accordingly. I do not mean personal attacks and such should be accepted, but a little banter and poking fun should be left alone, for example. There was a newbie member who could not compose a sentence, his topic was in regards of how to change the values of the GS, however after a few post he stated that he ment vavles. Im sorry but values and vavles are not even close to the same meaning or spelling, so where is the benifit in searching and posting an answer for "values" if that is what what he wanted in the first place?
Old 07-29-11, 06:40 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

^ +1, i know what thread your exactly talking about.

I myself, being a "noob" (just to the GS forums), as opposed to other forums (which I have over 5,000+ posts and 5+ year join date) sometimes have the disrespect just because my post count and join date is relatively new.

That said, most of the OG's (and I admit myself sometimes within the other forum) do this too. I see it within myself and hope many others do to not judge a book by its cover, and indeed poke fun or harass or abuse many of the newly joined members. I have endeavored some myself from CL (and have avoided / ignored it) because I know where some of the OG's or Club Lexus Guru's are coming from. However, who knows? The people being harassed may be a technican or well established forum member within G35driver, s2ki, supraforums, etc. and just happened to purchase a Lexus and want to now hop onto CL.

Btw. great post Dave

Last edited by 1sWt2GS; 07-29-11 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-30-11, 07:24 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by HellaG35
I myself, being a "noob" (just to the GS forums), as opposed to other forums (which I have over 5,000+ posts and 5+ year join date) sometimes have the disrespect just because my post count and join date is relatively new.
i wouldnt say this is accurate, i think it has more to do with what people INCLUDING yourself are posting that your being judged on, not the amount of posts/date you joined. the guy above you tonyn is a old but fairly inactive member, you don't see people snapping off at him though because he comes across with correct info,useful posts, and knowledge. not to mention he doesn't just join (or in his case come back) and start posting up the same threads we have talked about a million times, he uses the forum for what its made for and searches to find his info and no im not necessarily saying your guilty of this but 99.9% of noobs and even some of the older members who "re-join" are guilty of this.

not to mention people (new and old members alike) LOVE to throw, yes i searched in their new posts but its obvious alot of them didnt when they ask something so silly and simple they could have actually searched for it or something that is in our stickies

Last edited by sakataj; 07-30-11 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-30-11, 09:23 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
i wouldnt say this is accurate, i think it has more to do with what people INCLUDING yourself are posting that your being judged on, not the amount of posts/date you joined. the guy above you tonyn is a old but fairly inactive member, you don't see people snapping off at him though because he comes across with correct info,useful posts, and knowledge. not to mention he doesn't just join (or in his case come back) and start posting up the same threads we have talked about a million times, he uses the forum for what its made for and searches to find his info and no im not necessarily saying your guilty of this but 99.9% of noobs and even some of the older members who "re-join" are guilty of this.

not to mention people (new and old members alike) LOVE to throw, yes i searched in their new posts but its obvious alot of them didnt when they ask something so silly and simple they could have actually searched for it or something that is in our stickies
well said.

I understand the typical "Well I searched but couldnt find pictures of how a TTE lip looks?" When searching and simply typing in TTE lip shows countless numbers of threads.

Maybe this is just a matter of education people how to acutally use the ADVANCED search tab and not use the typical "regular"?
Old 09-06-11, 09:43 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

I'll won't let go of my 2GS, and I won't and (don't...) get mad at people that are new to the forum or old guys that just forgot how to search for a topic that's been discussed,
I won't get mad at the guy who cuts me off on the highway... I'll just blow past him first chance I get because I learned how to upgrade and maintain my GS thru this great lexus community, even thou I've been flamed and have had negative comments directed towrards my posts in the past. The good out weighs the bad in this situation, and despite the fact I don't have very much to offer as far as car knowlege goes compaired to some of the other people on here (that dude Jeff's an animal..) I'm still gonna be around for a long time reguardless of the negative behavior at times. CL till I die...lol
this is my rifle, this is my gun, this is for fighting and this...
Old 09-07-11, 01:07 AM
harman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I'd also like to ask each and every one to stop telling new members to 'use search' without helping them search by also telling them what keywords to look for and giving them a couple of links to helpful threads. Welcome them to the forum/"
Thank you!
this is the one part of the forum that really put me off CL posting or asking questions here.
Most people that have been on the forum for some time now simply reply use the search.. they don't know how irritating it is to hear that. if you don't have anything better than that to say, spare us newbies the ... unproductive advice. Say something like "search for ...injectors or ball joints". Be a guide not an obstacle and realize that new people also would like to establish as sense of community with one another and help one another similar to what you all did in the past, not just rely on OGs who come off as "above you- cause i have been thru or know someone whose been thru that- so its nothing new" type attitude. It was a shame to see CL posts like that
Old 09-07-11, 12:40 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by harman
Most people that have been on the forum for some time now simply reply use the search.. they don't know how irritating it is to hear that.
do u also know how irritating it is to see 17 of the same threads going on because some person (new or old) refuses or is just to lazy to search?

i dont mind helping someone who has tried to help themselves and cant.... i dont like someone who is to lazy to even bother trying to help themselves
Old 09-12-11, 09:47 AM
buckwhite
Driver

Hey sakataj, you should go back and read this original post.

Giving me crap because Ive only been on this site for 3 months, and maybe not as savvy when it comes finding stuff. But assuming you know what I do, and basically calling me a liar (which Im not, I have no reason to, I dont know anyone on here, so why BS anyone)).

Im probably older then most people on here, this is my first Lexus, and Ive had it for less then a year. I came on here with the idea that I can get some questions I might have, answered, but instead I get crap from you for starting another thread, cause someone already posted something? I have found no sense of "community", I found whining and unnecessary criticism!

You know whats irritating? Seeing someone consistantly posting stuff, complaining about people posting stuff.

Dave wrote this post talking about exactly what you are doing! No one is perfect..maybe just you..in your head!
Old 09-12-11, 09:49 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Guys, let's not make this thread personal please.
Old 09-12-11, 10:21 AM
darrylg33
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good post-had drifted away from looking and posting-nice to see/hear the changes
Old 09-15-11, 11:50 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you've been here long enough to where new people irritate you to the point that you have to be rude, disrepectful or sarcastic, then its best to stop dwelling in this section of the forum.

Not directed at your personally Sak, but you're included. We as current OG's are pretty much done with modifying our cars so I'm not coming here to 'learn' anything new about my 2nd Gen. Unless I have a specific problem with a code or part number, I visit this forum sporadically as now my time is spent in the 'grown folk' sections (Car Chat, Debate Forum, Clubhouse, etc) so when I come here, I don't mind helping out a noob, even when it's a question that searching would have easily provided an answer. We've all been there. I will answer any question once to the best of my ability and if I see the same question again at a later date, it's just as easy to do a search of my previous answer and just link it to the current question. Takes 10 seconds tops. If I'm not here for myself, then my only other reason is to help someone else out.

Simply put, newbs aren't going away, our cars are over a decade old and pretty cheap to afford. That means a lot of younger owners who come in with a different language or method of doing things. Just like we did. At the end of the day, it is someone asking for help. If you're not going to provide assistance, why go out of your way unnecessarily to make their situation worse by not bothering to help them but to then chastise them on top of it. Just bypass the thread and someone else will come along who has more patience.

lol Rock, here's a tissue for that brown stuff on your nose but I'd nominate you Assistant Moderator well maybe Assistant to the Moderator.
The following users liked this post:
BorderGuy (01-12-23)
Old 09-27-11, 05:22 AM
mtschirret
Driver School Candidate

Awesome post, Dave...Much appreciated!

Quick Reply: 2GS MEMBERS PLEASE READ: Re-establishing a sense of community in the 2Gen GS forum