GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What a bad tie rod end looks like (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-11, 02:46 PM
Acidic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a bad tie rod end looks like (Video)

I posted my questions from my inspection in other threads but I took a video of what bad tie rod ends look like... I was able to do this with very minimal force... also is a somewhat blurry pic of the ball joint. You can see that grease is coming out of the boot at the top.

http://youtu.be/zy4gmsxGYcA
Attached Thumbnails What a bad tie rod end looks like (Video)-dscf5003-medium-.jpg  
Old 06-10-11, 06:19 PM
jacksonvp
Pole Position

Its starting to loosen up if that moves extremely easily, but the real issues occur when you can rock the wheel back and forth in the 3 and 9 oclock positions and watch the spindle move independant of the steering rack.

Seen here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADWr6DkzpxU

Where the inside lining around the spherical ball of the tie rod has worn enough to allow freedom of movement laterally or vertically.(standard balljoint pictured)

Last edited by jacksonvp; 06-10-11 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-10-11, 07:51 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

informative post, thanks man...
Old 06-11-11, 07:55 AM
Acidic
Driver

My wheel moved too but I wanted to show how easily it moved. I could have rolled it with my fingertips. It also makes some popping sounds in the morning when I first grab my steering wheel.
Old 06-11-11, 09:02 AM
richie3888
Pole Position

To tell if a tie rod is bad, shake the tire side to side and you have to feel if there is any play in the ball joint. Just moving it like how you did doesn't mean anything
Old 06-11-11, 10:25 AM
I.B.dAt.Fo
Pole Position

Good information. Hear a pop or knock when reversing out the drive way also. Replaced my driver side tie rod last month and now the noise is gone. There was definitely some play in the old tie rode after being removed.
Old 06-12-11, 08:53 PM
Acidic
Driver

Originally Posted by richie3888
To tell if a tie rod is bad, shake the tire side to side and you have to feel if there is any play in the ball joint. Just moving it like how you did doesn't mean anything
read the posts... I could roll it with my finger prints, I did move the wheel and it was just for show... it also pops etc....
Old 06-13-11, 07:32 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what happens if a tie rod gives out?
Old 06-13-11, 09:13 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kosi718
what happens if a tie rod gives out?
look up the threads on here about ball joint failure. These cars, if equipped with the early style ball-joints, or is under a lot of heavy cornering load/big bumps, they should be looked after carefully.

Minute symptoms will show in the form of a shake at highway speed, loss of alignment, and loose steering.

To answer your question directly (before you see the pics) your wheel will violently rotate to be perpendicular to your frame, taking out your fender and no doubt some other suspension components with it, causing you to most often lose control of the car if it's anywhere above 30mph.
Old 06-13-11, 09:31 PM
jacksonvp
Pole Position

Around 38 seconds in, you lose control of the vehicle in a balljoint failure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8eA0...eature=related
Old 06-14-11, 08:00 AM
718LS430
Intermediate

i have a pop nd crack like sound when i turn one full time to the right and when i baq out of my driveway i get a pop . it scares me. can some one give me a list of parts i should purchase so i can fix my ball joints . also while doing that should i change something else as well
Old 06-14-11, 02:50 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
look up the threads on here about ball joint failure. These cars, if equipped with the early style ball-joints, or is under a lot of heavy cornering load/big bumps, they should be looked after carefully.

Minute symptoms will show in the form of a shake at highway speed, loss of alignment, and loose steering.

To answer your question directly (before you see the pics) your wheel will violently rotate to be perpendicular to your frame, taking out your fender and no doubt some other suspension components with it, causing you to most often lose control of the car if it's anywhere above 30mph.

No, I know what happens when a ball joint fails. those threads are stickied in the suspension section. but I mean a TIE ROD... What happens then?
Old 06-14-11, 04:11 PM
jacksonvp
Pole Position

The same thing, 3 points are used to locate the wheel on the vehicle. Upper control arm, lower control arm and tie rod. If you lose the location of the lower control arm it rotates freely, same thing with losing the tie rod end. See the video above, that is Tie Rod failure
Old 06-14-11, 05:36 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

oh my bad I thought that video was only for lower balljoint failure. Thanks

One thing I have been noticing the past few weeks is that when I accelerate from a stop, wheels arent turned or anything, I hear a popping sound then it stops once I've gained momentum... What do you guys think?
Old 08-23-11, 12:01 PM
asia615
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jacksonvp
Its starting to loosen up if that moves extremely easily, but the real issues occur when you can rock the wheel back and forth in the 3 and 9 oclock positions and watch the spindle move independant of the steering rack.

Seen here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADWr6DkzpxU

Where the inside lining around the spherical ball of the tie rod has worn enough to allow freedom of movement laterally or vertically.(standard balljoint pictured)
I just replaced both my front lower ball joints and while I was messing around, I notice i could rock the wheel 12 and 6 oclock position. This happen before and after i got ball joints replaced. I replaced the balljoints myself in my father in law shop, when i asked him, he said it was the upper control arm. Any help?

Quick Reply: What a bad tie rod end looks like (Video)