GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Question on dealer quote for Timing Belt/Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-11, 05:36 AM
btanchors
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Question on dealer quote for Timing Belt/Water Pump

I have a 2003 GS430 - have about 80,500 miles. I am the original owner - the timing belt has never been changed. Although I am not quite at the mileage where these are normally changed (90 - 100K), I figure it's 8 years old, so it should be changed.

I've decided to have the work done at a Lexus dealer. I know it can be done more cheaply at an independent, but I'd rather have it done at the dealer. Still, I know there can be quite a bit of variation in pricing among dealers.

I plan on keeping this car for 3-4 more years at least, so I asked the local dealer for a quote (parts and labor) for both the timing belt, serpentine belt, and water pump. They quoted $1318. Is this reasonable for a dealer?

Should anything else besides the water pump be done while they are in there? I'm not talking about oil change, filters, etc., as I take care of those myself. What about seals on the crankshaft/camshafts? Can those be done relatively inexpensively while they are in the area? Does it make sense to have these done? What about the timing belttensioner (if there is one), etc.?
Old 06-10-11, 06:14 AM
Lexlthr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you really want to go to a dealer then try a local Toyota dealership. They should be a lot cheaper.
Old 06-10-11, 07:32 AM
AKS14
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually people will do timing belt, tensioner, water pump, front cam seals, front main seal, and valve cover gaskets all at once.

If you've got the motor torn apart might as well do it once and be good for a long time.

What is the break down for that 1300$ job? Labor vs parts. It doesnt seem terribly high for a dealership.
Old 06-10-11, 07:42 AM
btanchors
Driver

AKS14,

Thanks for the info - your comment about the cost not seeming terribly high for a dealership is the kind of comment I was seeking. I will also ask them about the tensioner, and seals.

The breakdown of costs - they told me $496 for parts, and $822 for labor.
Old 06-10-11, 07:51 AM
bacon22
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DAMN thats some bread u coughin up. $1,000 worth in parts and 300 for labor when i get the rest of all the **** ima do along with the water pump and timein belt...
Old 06-10-11, 08:07 AM
lexybaby77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be a little too early to change it in my opinion. If its me I would wait 90k miles or even 100k miles. But of course dealers will sell you their service anyways. Those belts, WP and seals are still in very good condition since its factory still. My seals were replaced at 190k when it started leaking and just in time for another timing belt replacement. Plus you're the first owner and you know how you drive this car. I just don't like unnecessary repairs IMHO. Well at least you will have proof of service records when you sell the car 3-5 yrs from now.

I was quoted $1285+ tax (including parts and labor) weeks ago and additional $120+ for the seals to be replaced at a Lexus dealer here in NorCal. So its about the same price I believe. So I just bought all the parts and did the repairs myself. Cost was about $500+.

Last edited by lexybaby77; 06-10-11 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-10-11, 08:11 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by lexybaby77
Might be a little too earyl to change it in my opinion. If its me I would wait 90k miles or even 100k miles. But of course dealers will sell you their service anyways. Those belts, WP and seals are still in very good condition since its factory still. My seals were replaced at 190k when it started leaking and just in time for another timing belt replacement. Plus you're the first owner and you know how you drive this car. I just don't like unnecessary repairs IMHO. Well at least you will have proof of service records when you sell the car 3-5 yrs from now.

I was quoted $1285+ tax (including parts and labor) weeks ago and additional $120+ for the seals to be replaced at a Lexus dealer here in NorCal. So its about the same price I believe. So I just bought all the parts and did the repairs myself. Cost was about $500+.
Definitely not too early to change it. Age also plays a role.
Old 06-10-11, 08:25 AM
btanchors
Driver

ThomasGS4 -

I was thinking the same thing - even though I haven't reached the miles yet, the timing belt is 8 years old. I don't want to spend money unnecessarily, but given the consequences if it breaks, I'd feel more comfortable getting it done now.

ThomasGS4 - what are your thoughts on the water pump and seals? Too early for those, or get them done at the same time?
Old 06-10-11, 08:44 AM
AKS14
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The beauty of knowing how to work on your own vehicle, and having a wholesale account, you can do a full timing belt/wp job with front seals and valve cover gaskets for like 350$ and a few hours of time.

Its really not that difficult to do a timing belt on these cars.
Old 06-10-11, 08:46 AM
starfyrels
Account under Legal Action - Banned

I paid my mechanic $300 for labor. Got my timing belt, water pump, crank seal/pully swapped out and tps and one other thing..forgot. I paid for all parts he just did the labor.
Old 06-10-11, 08:49 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by btanchors
ThomasGS4 -

I was thinking the same thing - even though I haven't reached the miles yet, the timing belt is 8 years old. I don't want to spend money unnecessarily, but given the consequences if it breaks, I'd feel more comfortable getting it done now.

ThomasGS4 - what are your thoughts on the water pump and seals? Too early for those, or get them done at the same time?
To be honest, it's better to go ahead and change the belts and water pump at once. As far as the seals go, I'm not exactly sure as it isn't my area of expertise. I bet someone else can fill you in on that.

Like someone mentioned previously, it's not a bad idea to get a quote from a Toyota dealer.
Old 06-10-11, 09:17 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Skip the cam seals unless they are leaking, (cams must be removed) it will most likely double the labor...

You are defiantly paying a premium for you timing belt replacement at the Lexus dealer.
A competent Toyota mechanic can do it in 3 hours labor or less and charge you actual labor time not book time.
And like others have said, it's not too difficult. I have done a hand full of timing belts on UZ vvt motors and none took me more than 4 hours.

good luck
Old 06-10-11, 09:28 AM
lexybaby77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Definitely not too early to change it. Age also plays a role.
Yeah definitely not too early to change it... especially if you have $1500 lying around your house waiting to be spent on belts and water pumps. He has a 8 yr old car with 80k miles on it. Average annual mileage is between 10k to 12k. He's doing about 10k/yr average. Which is definitely on track for the "dealer recommended" 10 years/90k miles replacement. I'm not saying don't do it, but IF IT WAS ME or if my brother ask me the same question I would say hold off on it and follow the service manual. But again its not my money.

Last edited by lexybaby77; 06-10-11 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-10-11, 09:54 AM
btanchors
Driver

I just went online at lexus.com and pulled up the maintenance schedule...On lexus.com, they go completely by the number of miles - I was surprised there is nothing mentioned regarding time for any of the recommended services.

So, am I really safe regarding the timing belt at 8 years 80,500 miles, or should I wait until 90K? For some reason, I thought I might be on "borrowed" time already as I thought the interval was 6 years OR 90K miles. Does time really not matter as much as I thought?
Old 06-10-11, 10:31 AM
lexybaby77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by btanchors
I just went online at lexus.com and pulled up the maintenance schedule...On lexus.com, they go completely by the number of miles - I was surprised there is nothing mentioned regarding time for any of the recommended services.

So, am I really safe regarding the timing belt at 8 years 80,500 miles, or should I wait until 90K? For some reason, I thought I might be on "borrowed" time already as I thought the interval was 6 years OR 90K miles. Does time really not matter as much as I thought?
Man you worry too much. There's a guy here who drove his car 150k without changing timing belts and his car still runs great (which I would not recommend by the way but shows you this is a quality car and uses quality parts). I would wait for 90K if I were you. Time actually does matter, dealer recommends 10 years or 90k miles. Enjoy your GS it's a great car.

Last edited by lexybaby77; 06-10-11 at 11:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Question on dealer quote for Timing Belt/Water Pump