GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Question on dealer quote for Timing Belt/Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-11, 11:12 AM
krispl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These belts and water pumps on gs430 are solid, you could easily wait until 100k but thats just my 0.02. As for dealership do yourself a favor and as someone mentioned before go to Toyota dealrship and have them do it for a couple hundred less. You could even buy your own original parts online (save money there) and just pay them for labour. It's obviously up to you though e.g. rockauto has a complete timing belt kit by ASIN for $170!!!
Old 06-10-11, 11:19 AM
btanchors
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lexybaby77 perhaps has a point - that I worry too much...But given what happens if it breaks, you're not just stranded somewhere, there's a good chance that pistons have gotten overly intimate with valves...I am going to take another look at my owner's manual that came with the car when I get home today and see if there is a time component in the maintenance schedule along with miles. I really don't want to spend money if I don't need to but I am thinking I might be somewhat of an unusual case since I only average about 10K miles a year. Has anyone heard of a timing belt breaking before 100K miles?
Old 06-10-11, 11:37 AM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id say so do it now or just around 90k. Dont push pass that. Better be safe then sorry. Call up toyota dealer get qoute. Timing belt job with wp etc. use oem parts too
Old 06-12-11, 01:10 PM
btanchors
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just checked the owner's manual that came with the car. It says 90K miles OR 72 Months (6 years). Since I am at the 8 year mark, I'm overdue. I am taking it in next week....
Old 06-12-11, 01:52 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by lexybaby77
Man you worry too much. There's a guy here who drove his car 150k without changing timing belts and his car still runs great (which I would not recommend by the way but shows you this is a quality car and uses quality parts). I would wait for 90K if I were you. Time actually does matter, dealer recommends 10 years or 90k miles. Enjoy your GS it's a great car.
I don't agree with this strategy, but not necessarily due to risk of things breaking.
Unless you see yourself getting rid of the car so you can avoid this service altogether, you might as well do it now, and put some use on the new parts.

What are the chances you're are going to do a 2nd service in 10years from now? What's the difference between doing it now, versus say a year or two from now? If you do want to do an extended interval, make that decision 10years from now on the 2nd belt, when the car probably has much more wear and tear, and you won't feel bad about getting ready to junk your ride.

I've compared this before to pitstops on a race. You don't wear your first set of tires completely out just because you can, and then put on new tires for the last 10laps of a race. You try to average out the race over the the number of sets of tires you plan to use.

That being said, the price quote looks like it is in range for a dealer-but you can definitely save money if you obtain the parts yourself (even if you want genuine Toyota/Lexus parts (look to the forum sponsers) ) and then find an independent shop to do the labor for you.

Please note, that many Toyota dealerships are not allowed to work on Lexus as a matter of policy if there is a Lexus dealership within the territory range.

Last edited by raytseng; 06-12-11 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-12-11, 02:42 PM
OT0814
Lead Lap

the prices you put seem a lil high. I went to both my toyota dealer and lexus dealer and the lexus dealer was only like $50 dollars more for labor. Parts i was going to get from sewell lexus. but Toyota quoted me 498 labor and lexus 552 labor. Must have some good dealerships where i live
Old 07-07-11, 01:21 PM
tommyts
Driver School Candidate

2000 gs300 with 130k. Just getting timing belt/water pump/serp belt replaced for 1st time... not because they went bad yet, but just because something was gnawing at me to get them done. You have plenty of time, my friend.
That dealer quote is way too high. Got mine done at independent Lexus mechanic shop that uses only genuine Lexus parts -- $700 for all.
Old 07-07-11, 01:44 PM
USMCLexus
Driver

I got a quote from firestone and the cost for timing belt replacement is whopping $366 total .
Old 07-07-11, 04:39 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

you really trust firestone? ^

parts is around $500 and labor should be around $500.
Old 07-07-11, 06:25 PM
USMCLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by vwynn
you really trust firestone? ^

parts is around $500 and labor should be around $500.
Im getting mine done at a local Lexus dealer soon.
Old 07-07-11, 06:32 PM
magnetik
Pole Position

Originally Posted by USMCLexus
I got a quote from firestone and the cost for timing belt replacement is whopping $366 total .
run don't walk. RUN!
Old 07-07-11, 07:26 PM
rusher
Driver School Candidate

I would go ahead and only change the belts, the water pump usually never go out. I paid $28.46 for the timing belt, 33.01 for the serpentine belt and 183.38 for the water pump from the lexus dealership.
I have a 98 gs3 with almost 200k miles and I did the maintenance myself at 195k miles, i did the water pump, thermostat and idler to be on the safe side. I also changed the plugs and wires, both valve cover gaskets, and both cam seals as they were leaking just a bit.
Old 07-08-11, 10:27 AM
HtownGS4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some mixed reviews on this one. I would highly recommend replacing the t-belt, water pump, and crank seal. This is NOT a repair issue here. This is preventative maintenance!!!! You replace the timing belt because of it breaks, it will cause interference and your pistons will most likely hit some valves. All of this work is necessary so that you do not have the break downs or engine failure. Personally I could care less how long someone else rolled the dice and got away with it. I'm not willing to gamble my engine just to put off some maintenance I will be doing at some point regardless. Do it when the people that engineered the car say to. There are other factors too. Climate, how hard its been driven, any fluid leaks getting on the belt, ect... You should change the water pump for sure. They do go bad, I have seen plenty of them. That is why the dealer recommends that you change it now. If it goes bad in the future, you will be paying your dealer all that labor again. When I replaced mine for the second time I did t-belt, water pump, crank seal, idler and tensioner pullys.
Old 07-08-11, 11:58 AM
vasgs4
Pole Position

I did my GS400 at 108K I believe. You can wait until 90K IMO.
Old 07-08-11, 11:59 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll cast another vote for going to the Toyota dealership. I got lexus-grade service with a nice loaner camry for the day while my car was getting timing belt/water pump/engine mounts done. It was almost half the price taking it to the Lexus dealership. WTF Lexus dealership?!?!! This ain't no benz.

Quick Reply: Question on dealer quote for Timing Belt/Water Pump