GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Does my MAF need to be replaced? - GS400

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-11, 01:06 PM
starfyrels
Account under Legal Action - Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does my MAF need to be replaced? - GS400

I've been experienceing low idle, cleaned my throttle body, maf, etc. So I'm starting a thread for those that have idle issues, etc. I had my mechanic check out the car and he says it isn't the throttle body itself (he's been dealing with GS/Lex/Toyota solely since forever) but he's on vacation for the next month or so.

So I looked up my GS400 MAF Pinout:

BLK/RED = +B
BLU/RED = VG
GREY = E2G
BROWN = E2
WHT/RED = THA

I did my Ohm test with GND to E2 and POS to THA and I get a 1.743 ohm reading. This is with a Fluke TrueRNS volt/ohm meter. My temps are 74F.

I read that THA-E2 should be between 2.21 - 2.69 omh reading at 68F but thats for the 3UZ-FE (GS430) and THA-E2 should be the same on the 2JZ-GE (GS300), so I will assume the same for the 1UZ-FE GS400.

I didnt do a voltage test connected to my vehicle -- because I figured I'd consult here first.

Any thoughts? - Does my MAF ned to be replaced?
Old 05-18-11, 01:23 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

The rough idle can also because of weak motor mounts.
Old 05-18-11, 01:33 PM
starfyrels

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
The rough idle can also because of weak motor mounts.
Already got the rear mount in today and just waiting on the other two fronts to get in. My motor doesnt flex at all under load btw, but I'll just be doing this as a precaution.
Old 05-18-11, 07:50 PM
starfyrels

Rear mount changed.

Not as easy as everyone claims it to be.
Old 05-20-11, 12:50 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by starfyrels
Rear mount changed.
btw thats a transmission mount, not a rear mount....i need to do mine, its been sitting in my closet for awhile now

Not as easy as everyone claims it to be.
BTW this one is simple ESPECIALLY if you can get on a lift and get under the car
Old 05-20-11, 01:39 PM
starfyrels

Its not listed as a transmission mount in alot of auto parts catalogs because the transmission isn't solely held by this mount alone.

I had two jackstands on the frame rails and my 4ton holding the transmission. The hard part was being able to get the holding plate on the transmission up and also push up on the plate to flex the mount enough to thread the bolt in.
Old 05-20-11, 01:41 PM
Billh2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been experienceing low idle, cleaned my throttle body, maf, etc. So I'm starting a thread for those that have idle issues, etc. I had my mechanic check out the car and he says it isn't the throttle body itself (he's been dealing with GS/Lex/Toyota solely since forever) but he's on vacation for the next month or so.

So I looked up my GS400 MAF Pinout:

BLK/RED = +B
BLU/RED = VG
GREY = E2G
BROWN = E2
WHT/RED = THA

I did my Ohm test with GND to E2 and POS to THA and I get a 1.743 ohm reading. This is with a Fluke TrueRNS volt/ohm meter. My temps are 74F.

I read that THA-E2 should be between 2.21 - 2.69 omh reading at 68F but thats for the 3UZ-FE (GS430) and THA-E2 should be the same on the 2JZ-GE (GS300), so I will assume the same for the 1UZ-FE GS400.

I didnt do a voltage test connected to my vehicle -- because I figured I'd consult here first.

Any thoughts? - Does my MAF ned to be replaced?
I don't know about the voltage and resistance, but I pulled my MAF at about 900000 because the car had flat spots, it was getting bad mileage and generally felt lean. The MAF had a dusty film on the bulb that you can see. Cleaning it made a big difference. I let it go another 10K or so and cleaned it again, and once again it made a difference. I read somewhere here that when they get old, they tend not to clean themselves so well and need to be replaced. I stepped up for a new one and the car seems to run better. (That's maybe just wishful thinking?) I did notice a definite increase in MPG.
Old 05-20-11, 01:51 PM
starfyrels

Yeah mpg isn't a big deal to me. The car needs gas to run so either way I'm filling up.

Can you possibly test out your maf voltage and lmk what it is? Im just gonna buy a new one and program a small circuit board with some electronics to trick the car into thinking the maf into thinking the car is getting "good" air. I'm suprised no one has come up with a fix!!!!
Old 05-20-11, 02:00 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Its not listed as a transmission mount in alot of auto parts catalogs because the transmission isn't solely held by this mount alone.

I had two jackstands on the frame rails and my 4ton holding the transmission. The hard part was being able to get the holding plate on the transmission up and also push up on the plate to flex the mount enough to thread the bolt in.
never said it did, just telling you what its called

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2001/4506.html

im lucky enough to know a friend who has a shop at his house with 2 lifts so i can just lift mine up. i love these l-tuned sides but they so low and wide inside you cant get a jack under them,even a lift has issues with them. i will be doing this the next time im there......
Old 06-01-11, 07:01 AM
starfyrels

Just bought another MAF and going to switch it.

Will report back.
Old 06-01-11, 07:07 PM
starfyrels

Switched out my PCV today.

If you haven't done this then do so now. Best $5 I've ever spent.

Top is old and bottom is the new pcv.
Old 06-09-11, 09:50 AM
starfyrels

Switched out my MAF, noticed higher idle. Car drives alot smoother.

This MAF that I switched was used, I purchased a new one from Delphi and I'm going to replace it when I get it.

Stay tuned.
Old 07-06-11, 07:49 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

ever put the new maf in? what is the resistance of your new maf? i'm thinking about changing mines because the resistance seems low like yours.
Old 07-06-11, 07:50 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

also, how many miles were on yours?
Old 07-07-11, 12:48 PM
starfyrels

I've been having a series of issues with sourcing a new/refurb MAF.

I purchased two from local auto parts stores and both were bad and refurb'd. I then got one from an online retailer and that one was messed up in shipping. I'm currently fighting with them to get my money back as this was new and it came to me all used and messed up at the mounting clip.

On another note;

I put each MAF in and the car behaved a bit differently at first. My idle while braking went up to around 600rpms vs 400rpms with the old MAF and park idle was up in the 7-800rpm range. then slowly went down back to where it was. Might be my SRT -- but my car idles so quiet at a stop that it works for me.

I got a donor throttle body off of a gs300 and took off the throttle control motor, next I'm going to look at buying a throttle lever assembly ($250). Once I do that, I'm going to remove my throttle body and intake manifold and do my starter, and gaskets and then clean up the throttle body and manifold completely and install the new parts.

I've been working, moving, working on some side projects and havent had much time. I have to redo some suspension work so if you have this issue, stay posted. I will eventually get to it.

My car has 123k miles right now. I've done all the maintenance and also replaced the TPS already.

Quick Reply: Does my MAF need to be replaced? - GS400