GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Weird Problem On GS I Picked Up, Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-11, 09:38 PM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird Problem On GS I Picked Up, Electrical Issue

I just picked up a '98 GS400 a few days ago and it's doing something weird and I'm looking for some suggestions on what is happening; This is intermittent, but sometimes when I hit the brakes or turn on the turn signals the radio will shut off and cut out for a second and then restart. At night when the headlights are on and I touch the brakes the headlights dim too....I was thinking the alternator might be bad, but maybe it's a grounding issue too I guess.....

Any suggestions on what I can check out or how I can troubleshoot it or has this happened to anyone else?
Old 03-28-11, 11:23 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

its either your ALT. or battery.
Old 03-29-11, 12:05 AM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Well I guess I'll drop by the local parts place and have them test them out for me. Thanks!
Old 03-29-11, 08:25 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Start by checking the battery terminals for corrosion. They may just need to be cleaned up so they can make better contact with the terminals.
Old 03-29-11, 09:16 AM
SinisterGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem, get the battery checked and if it's not that then the Alt. Good luck !
Old 03-29-11, 11:58 AM
cobra2top
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same issue happen to me yesterday on my 98 GS400. Long story short, my was fine in the morning and then in the afternoon when I went to start it, nothing....not even a light came on inside. It was like someone took out my battery, everything was dead. The battery I have is less that a year old, so had it jumped, and drove home. On way radio was shutting off and on, blinkers were not working right........pulled into driveway and shut her down. 10 seconds later I tried to restart and nothing again. This time dim dash lights and he steering wheel barely moved.

Got on Clublexus and searched.......found a few post suggesting corrosion on the battery and clamps. Checked mine and sure enough, green from top to bottom. Mixed up some baking soda and water and a old toothbrush and started to clean. The corrosion was baked on so it took a while to scrub it off.

After I was done I hooked everything up and took a chance to start it without a jump. She fired right up as if nothing happened. Set the radio presets and took a 1/2 hour drive. No radio on/off, no blinker issues, it was like it never happened. I have since drove the car a few times, and again, no issues.

I guess the corrosion was so bad it broke the connection. Not sure how a fairly new battery gets so much corrosion but it is something I will have to say on top of going forward.

Good Luck!
Old 03-29-11, 12:30 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by cobra2top
I had the same issue happen to me yesterday on my 98 GS400. Long story short, my was fine in the morning and then in the afternoon when I went to start it, nothing....not even a light came on inside. It was like someone took out my battery, everything was dead. The battery I have is less that a year old, so had it jumped, and drove home. On way radio was shutting off and on, blinkers were not working right........pulled into driveway and shut her down. 10 seconds later I tried to restart and nothing again. This time dim dash lights and he steering wheel barely moved.

Got on Clublexus and searched.......found a few post suggesting corrosion on the battery and clamps. Checked mine and sure enough, green from top to bottom. Mixed up some baking soda and water and a old toothbrush and started to clean. The corrosion was baked on so it took a while to scrub it off.

After I was done I hooked everything up and took a chance to start it without a jump. She fired right up as if nothing happened. Set the radio presets and took a 1/2 hour drive. No radio on/off, no blinker issues, it was like it never happened. I have since drove the car a few times, and again, no issues.

I guess the corrosion was so bad it broke the connection. Not sure how a fairly new battery gets so much corrosion but it is something I will have to say on top of going forward.

Good Luck!
Amen.
Old 03-29-11, 02:50 PM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Thanks for the suggestions guys....Hopefully it's just the corrosion....I'll be checking it out tonight.
Old 03-29-11, 04:50 PM
cobra2top
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fingers crossed for you as I started thinking of the possible dollar signs in front of me if it was not corrosion. The car has cost me NOTHING so far so still on the lucky side of things. Only thing I did was put in a timing belt and water pump 6K miles ago, a battery and oil changes since I bought it at 60K. Now she has 106K and yesterday I thought, here is where it starts nickle and diming me. Fortunately the nickle was some baking soda and a old toothbrush!!! Loving the Lexus quality!!!