GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Installing pioneer radio on 03 gs300

Old 05-10-14, 07:46 AM
Lexpena03
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing pioneer radio on 03 gs300

Help needed!!!
Does anyone know if I have to bay pass the factory amp???!
I really don't want to buy if that's the only choice then that's what I'll do
Old 05-10-14, 10:48 AM
offbad
Lead Lap

looks at topic.
looks at join date.

welp... looks like it's summer already...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...archid=3453495

Last edited by offbad; 05-10-14 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-10-14, 03:04 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lolololololilol
Old 05-10-14, 03:07 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by offbad
looks at topic.
looks at join date.

welp... looks like it's summer already...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...archid=3453495

looks and realizes member doesn't know that search links don't work for anyone but himself....

Guys very much appreciate trying to help new members, but let's do it with a more welcoming approach please. You were new here not long ago yourself.

---------------------

To the OP, welcome to Club Lexus. Most anything you need to know has already been posted and discussed so you can get a great start by starting with search. Here are a few links I found by searching the 2GS forum for "bypass amp" to get you started.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ght=bypass+amp

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-10-14 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-10-14, 03:18 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Yea my bad. I made up for it in the thread asking which brake caliper paint is best. Actually I even replied to that thread first hahaha, anyhow! I'll be posting a DIY that honestly, it took me almost 4 months.... FOUR MONTHS. To figure out the bypass and did it by far the most legit I've seen yet. I pretty much just mixed together massive amounts of DIY threads, half that sucked, half that never even finished, and finally got it perfect, all wires in the two harnesses, nice and easy. I'm trying to figure out one last thing. Why my sub isn't playing anymore, and I'm going to make a *itchen DIY bypass thread that's going to be for dummies.... It was quite confusing, until you finish it and realize wow.... Why'd that take so long lol!
Old 05-10-14, 03:20 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Oh wow your right, how come that link doesn't work for us? That's odd I didnt know that...
Old 05-10-14, 03:33 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by GSGenesis
Oh wow your right, how come that link doesn't work for us? That's odd I didnt know that...
It's cookie based on your own PC. CL doesn't store the search parameters you use more than about 10 minutes. After that it's only your own.

And did see you did that brake painting response - that was good (better than the one above ). Everybody is new and got to "teach 'em to fish".
Old 05-10-14, 04:39 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Gootttttt ya okay so then my links in the brake caliper thread won't work either? Or would those work since they were the actual URL's copied and pasted from those threads actually opened then copied. If that made sense lol.
Old 05-10-14, 05:47 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

your going to need a harness to bypass the amp if your headunit already has a built in amp.

you should prob bypass it as the headunit is likely to have a better amp then the factory amp in the car.

something along the lines of this harness..
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207017...s.html?tp=2977

Last edited by 1sWt2GS; 05-10-14 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-10-14, 06:16 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
your going to need a harness to bypass the amp if your headunit already has a built in amp.

you should prob bypass it as the headunit is likely to have a better amp then the factory amp in the car.

something along the lines of this harness..
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207017...s.html?tp=2977
I can't even tell you HOW MUCH! better the head units amp powering the speakers made them all sound.... Honestly was amazed by the sound difference when all I was aiming for really was a new head unit! Haha, def. Worth it! I used two of those '87+ harnesses to make my wire extensions exactly, thanks to the threads I was able to eventually piece it all together. I got my Illumination, ACC, Dimmer, (or is dimmer illumination? Can't remember) and what else was left, constant? Anyhow I rearranged a few pins, added and removed a few of the Metra harnesses, and boom, was completely plug and play. Only wire that had to be tapped into was the VSS wire which is only found below/next to the steering column should I call it... I'll make an awesome DIY that will clear up everything that the other threads may have lacked. It took me SO LONG! To actually get my head unit in because I swear to you from clublexus, to lexusownersclub, to avic411, I've read them ALL! They ALL miss something that leaves you :
Old 05-10-14, 08:54 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

No way I could do this I'm gonna take it to my nearest installer up the street when I get my head unit although I have a 5 channel Phoenix Gold Amp running everything, previous owner did it, real clean,props for doing it yourself..
Old 05-10-14, 10:06 PM
josey88
Driver

I can still remember when I replaced the speakers, subwoofer and installed my two amps , one mono Zapco 100 watts for the sub and the other a zapco C2K 100 watts x 4 channels for the speakers.
It was a very complex operation . I wanted to keep the OEM cd magazine and head unit and not disrupt the functioning of the screen on the car that works the nav, heat, air cond , etc etc . I didn`t want anybody to tamper with my car , so I did it all .
I remember that I ran the amps cables thru the right side of the car and the cable speakers thru the left side , to avoid any interference on the sound.
The amps I mounted them on the trunk (I had to built a plywood wall configured to the rear) and I covered with the same gray cloth material(ordered online) that the trunk is covered with . It came out very nice and elegant . I also replaced the open OEM crappy sub with an enclosed 10" Infinity sub on a box , which was covered on the same material , so everything was matching and the appearance was OEM like . I placed the sub on the same position as the OEM but inside the box enclosure , which I screwed and sealed to the metal surface of the rear deck .
For the speakers I had to construct a plywood base for all of the 4 doors to be able to install my Dynaudio speakers along with the crossovers and to accommodate everything neatly inside the doors . The tweeters I was able to install them on the same place as the original ones , at front . For the rear doors I was able to install the tweeters with their own Dynaudio grille and base they came with . The disassembly /assembly of the 4 doors was a real pain in the *** , having to be careful to not break anything .
The quality of sound as the end result was one hundred fold after I calibrated the crossovers and the amps.
Oh, I almost forgot : I ordered some Dynamax pieces and I covered the entire inside of the trunk , floor, sides, lid, everything .
But, it was not easy . It required a lot of careful cable cutting and soldering (and insulating every single soldering with heat wrap tubbing) and re-routing the cables around the car ... it took me a couple of weeks to do it ...no easy task at all . I spent considerable amounts of time inside the damn trunk in uncomfortable positions, hooking everything .
My main reason for the job was , of course , to improve the sound quality but I wanted to do a professional job in all aspects, with perfect soldering , no loose connections , etc . and that took a lot of time . I also wanted an OEM kind of look . It`s been 10 years or so since and never have had a single problem , so the job was done well .
Frankly , I was younger then and a lot more driven . I don`t know if I would do that kind of work now a days ... now most likely I would pay a professional to do it .

Last edited by josey88; 05-11-14 at 08:32 PM. Reason: i
Old 05-11-14, 05:23 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SicilyGS4
No way I could do this I'm gonna take it to my nearest installer up the street when I get my head unit although I have a 5 channel Phoenix Gold Amp running everything, previous owner did it, real clean,props for doing it yourself..
If you've got patience man for me to make this DIY, believe me it will be clear enough for ANYONE to do... Believe me I've got a lot to my system too... Originally just had my stock head unit working with my 12's and amp, but got an Avic so tossed the cd changer and bypassed the amp, it's actually very easy if you have solid directions man. If you don't know how to solder, you don't HAVE to, you can just use crimp connectors don't worry. Everything else is just simple routing wiring for your power to your amp and that's pretty much it
Old 05-11-14, 05:25 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by josey88
I can still remember when I replaced the speakers, subwoofer and installed my two amps , one mono Zapco 100 watts for the sub and the other a zapco C2K 100 watts x 4 channels for the speakers.
It was a very complex operation . I wanted to keep the OEM cd magazine and head unit and not disrupt the functioning of the screen on the car that works the nav, heat, air cond , etc etc . I didn`t want anybody to tamper with my car , so I did it all .
I remember that I ran the amps cables thru the right side of the car and the cable speakers thru the left side , to avoid any interference on the sound.
The amps I mounted them on the trunk (I had to built a plywood wall configured to the rear) and I covered with the same gray cloth material(ordered online) that the trunk is covered with . It came out very nice and elegant . I also replaced the open OEM crappy sub with an enclosed 10" Infinity sub on a box , which was covered on the same material , so everything was matching and the appearance was OEM like . I placed the sub on the same position as the OEM but inside the box enclosure , which I screwed and sealed to the metal surface of the rear deck .
For the speakers I had to construct a plywood base for all of the 4 doors to be able to install my Dynaudio speakers along with the crossovers and to accommodate everything neatly inside the doors . The tweeters I was able to install them on the same place as the original ones , at front . For the rear doors I was able to install the tweeters with their own Dynaudio grille and base they came with . The disassembly /assembly of the 4 doors was a real pain in the *** , having to be careful to not break anything .
The quality of sound as the end result was one hundred fold after I calibrated the crossovers and the amps.
Oh, I almost forgot : I ordered some Dynamax pieces and I covered the entire inside of the trunk , floor, sides, lid, everything .
But, it was not easy . It required a lot of careful cable cutting and soldering (and insulating every single soldering with heat wrap tubbing) and re-routing the cables around the car ... it took me a couple of weeks to do it ...no easy task at all . I spent considerable amounts of time inside the damn trunk in uncomfortable positions, hooking everything .
My main reason for the job was , of course , to improve the sound quality but I wanted to do a professional job in all aspects, with perfect soldering , no loose connections , etc . and that took a lot of time . I also wanted an OEM kind of look . It`s been 10 years or so since and never have had a single problem , so the job was done well .
Frankly , I was younger then and a lot more driven . I don`t know if I would do that kind of work now a days ... now most likely I would pay a professional to do it .
Hey looks like you did a good job though man! I'll try and get some pics up of mine too
Old 05-11-14, 06:24 PM
Lexpena03
Driver School Candidate

Ok well everything is done and installed.. Bypassed the factory amp
Using 70-8113 and TA02B the sound I'm getting out of the factory speakers with the pioneer indash is great..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing pioneer radio on 03 gs300