GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Are there any wire harnesses under front fender plastic liner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-11, 07:11 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any wire harnesses under front fender plastic liner?

The reason I asked is because I want to either remove my inner plastic liner or cut them to eleminate excessive tire rub in the front. I thought the tires would have rubbed through the plastic by now but the rubbing is almost still as bad as when I last lowered the car. I'm hoping if I cut a whole in them that there won't be any wires exposed.
Old 03-20-11, 09:42 PM
entryspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be better for you all around even if you do want to cut them and keep part of them, to remove the liner cut a larger area than that of the part thats rubbing. Removing the liner before you cut will ensure you donot take out any wiring harnesses plus it will show you the ones that are or aren't there. I know on the sc300 there is a good amount of harness above the inner fender liner. I havent removed my gs's liners yet but I would before I went to cutting anyway. GL
Old 09-25-11, 03:25 PM
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

So guys can anyone here confirm if there are wires above the fender liner? Searched and this seemed to be the only related thread.

Bumped for a quick answer~
Old 09-25-11, 03:49 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

No there's nothing under there.
Old 09-25-11, 06:59 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

nope no wires. i had problems in my s13 too but the gs has nothing
Old 09-26-11, 08:43 PM
chknlittle
Pole Position

Gs has no wires underneath...your good
Old 09-26-11, 08:51 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

dont we have the hood release cable under the driver fender??
Old 09-26-11, 08:54 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had one wire under mine, but it's tucked away from the tire so it's no biggy. Just take them things out and call it a day.
Old 09-27-11, 02:06 AM
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vwynn
dont we have the hood release cable under the driver fender??
Yes hood release cable and one wire. Im going to drill a small hole in the unibody lip and ziptie it way above the original mounting location. Ill take some pics of the process this thursday.
Old 09-27-11, 03:16 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

^this
I ate Into it a little, but I noticed before it removed most of the rubbercoating and ziptied it up
Old 10-03-11, 04:50 PM
trickz
Driver

Originally Posted by puff
The reason I asked is because I want to either remove my inner plastic liner or cut them to eleminate excessive tire rub in the front. I thought the tires would have rubbed through the plastic by now but the rubbing is almost still as bad as when I last lowered the car. I'm hoping if I cut a whole in them that there won't be any wires exposed.
since i got bags i dump mine to the floor some times when driving and what i did is cut the inner fender lining in half, and kept the front part zip tied to the top so you wont see the fog lights and all the other stuff so it looks clean.
Old 10-03-11, 08:11 PM
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by trickz
since i got bags i dump mine to the floor some times when driving and what i did is cut the inner fender lining in half, and kept the front part zip tied to the top so you wont see the fog lights and all the other stuff so it looks clean.
I got so caught up the other day I forgot to take pictures but here goes a description for what I did to clear for my air lines, rim/tire rubbing ect...

1. Jacked up the car - didnt even need to take of wheels since it was aired up all the way

2. Remove the screw holding the liner in the rear of your tires.

3. Remove the screw holding up the front of the liner above the slits(10mm if you cant get a screw driver in there)

4. From the top center of the fenderliner just yank it straight down and it will sit on top of your tire.

5. You'll notice that the fenderliner seperates at the front where the cooling slots are cut into. If you take a pair of diagnol cutters(dykes) and cut the plastic tabs holding it together it will simply seperate and you can now screw the front of the liner back in.

6. Take a pair of branch cutters(garden trimmers) and start to cut a straight line above where the rear screw sets. Once you've cut all the way through you can now screw the other half back on. Now both the front and door areas are protected from debri still.

7. On the drivers side you will notice that the wire and hood release cable run parralel and into a plastic holder above the tire. It may or may not be high enough for you. The problem lies towards the front where it starts to sag down.

8. Look towards the front and you will see some large holes in the actual unibody. Pull the wires up to it and ziptie it to the holes.

~Now you should have minimul rubbage action going on down there~
Old 10-04-11, 11:35 AM
trickz
Driver

Originally Posted by SuicidnS13
I got so caught up the other day I forgot to take pictures but here goes a description for what I did to clear for my air lines, rim/tire rubbing ect...

1. Jacked up the car - didnt even need to take of wheels since it was aired up all the way

2. Remove the screw holding the liner in the rear of your tires.

3. Remove the screw holding up the front of the liner above the slits(10mm if you cant get a screw driver in there)

4. From the top center of the fenderliner just yank it straight down and it will sit on top of your tire.

5. You'll notice that the fenderliner seperates at the front where the cooling slots are cut into. If you take a pair of diagnol cutters(dykes) and cut the plastic tabs holding it together it will simply seperate and you can now screw the front of the liner back in.

6. Take a pair of branch cutters(garden trimmers) and start to cut a straight line above where the rear screw sets. Once you've cut all the way through you can now screw the other half back on. Now both the front and door areas are protected from debri still.

7. On the drivers side you will notice that the wire and hood release cable run parralel and into a plastic holder above the tire. It may or may not be high enough for you. The problem lies towards the front where it starts to sag down.

8. Look towards the front and you will see some large holes in the actual unibody. Pull the wires up to it and ziptie it to the holes.

~Now you should have minimul rubbage action going on down there~

the only bad part about leaving the front plastic open is that fact that the cars wheels rotate forward and when it snows all the snow will go into the open area which will cause the plastic to bend down and eventually crack and break. had that problem before
Old 10-04-11, 01:09 PM
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by trickz
the only bad part about leaving the front plastic open is that fact that the cars wheels rotate forward and when it snows all the snow will go into the open area which will cause the plastic to bend down and eventually crack and break. had that problem before
True that, but I live in Las Vegas, NV. We get all of about 1 day of snow out here and it doesnt stick. We also only get about 5 days of rain a year. My biggest concern was to keep the rocks and mud from going into the side of my door area. I left the front lowers to just hide the foglight ballasts ect..
Old 10-04-11, 03:35 PM
trickz
Driver

Originally Posted by SuicidnS13
True that, but I live in Las Vegas, NV. We get all of about 1 day of snow out here and it doesnt stick. We also only get about 5 days of rain a year. My biggest concern was to keep the rocks and mud from going into the side of my door area. I left the front lowers to just hide the foglight ballasts ect..
yea u guys are lucky, we get nailed with snow here .. wish i moved somewhere where their is no snow. wouldnt have this type of problem lol