GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Do you have a vibration at highway cruising speeds? Mine's fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-08, 09:20 AM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just adding this....
Can it be that tightening the steering tensioner is just covering up another problem by just making the steering tighter and covering up whatever that little vibration is??
Old 03-24-08, 02:27 PM
Krupski2
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to get new tires soon and I will get them from my usual spot. However, if the vibration comes back, then I will take it to the Lexus Dealer and have them balance it for the $.

Anyone around Balt/DC area know of a good dealership I should go to?
Old 04-15-08, 10:47 PM
mellofelow
Driver

Great thread! Subscribed...

I just purchased a GS300 off a friend and this is my first post. WOOHOOO!!! The car also equipped with LTuned suspension and sizable staggered wheels, all packaged from dealer when new. When I drove it home; I noticed the steering is a bit 'sloppy' on the freeway at high speed. This was a different feel than driving on bumpy road. Originally I thought it might be wheels out of balance but that wouldn't cause the minor 'clunks' on steering wheel feedback.

I'll take all the advice mentioned here to the dealership and see what they can do.
Old 06-20-08, 05:54 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, this thread is already 6 years old ...
Old 06-20-08, 06:34 AM
girvan
Rookie

Originally Posted by gs-ireland
I believe it is all GS's from mid-98 on that have this rack. The TSB also states the VIN range, all LHD VIN's from JZS160-0017502->ON have the newer style rack, but as always double check by getting on your knees!!!
Lexus went to some pains to make the original steering rack very low friction - maybe too far for the average lexus mechanic. In most engineering situations using friction as a tool is like a chef using sand as an ingredient. Sure rancid beef tastes bad but if you smother it in sand it won't taste rancid anymore...

There's a cure and there's a cover up.

Friction does not cure square, flat spotted, or unbalanced wheels or wheels mounted off center via 5 cent plastic rings or gorrilla air gun jocks and should only be used to mask too much road feedback. Vibrating wheels are trying to tell you something.
Old 10-20-08, 07:14 AM
dcz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a similar problem. I purchased my car in Iowa and had the wheels balanced before I drove it home... needless to say it shook the whole way home.

After I got home, I had the tires rebalanced and it continued to shake through about 3 more balance jobs and a few allighnments...

I have bought new wheels, tires, suspension and new front brake rotors.

The passenger side seat still shakes violently at speeds about 75+.

The problem seems to surge for me though. It isnt a constant shake, it gradually gets bad, then it subsides, then gets bad, then subsides etc.

Its really annoying and I am at the point where I feel like selling my car because of the crappy ride quality on the highway. Do any of you guys have the problem that surges in and out? I have the stock steering ECU. I am getting really tired of this...

Should I try the fix you guys are speaking of or is this another problem all together?

It feels like the shake is coming from the rear. I see my wing bouncing up and down and my steering wheel isnt really shaking as you guys described; however, it does sometimes.
Old 10-20-08, 07:50 AM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dcz
I have a similar problem. I purchased my car in Iowa and had the wheels balanced before I drove it home... needless to say it shook the whole way home.

After I got home, I had the tires rebalanced and it continued to shake through about 3 more balance jobs and a few allighnments...

I have bought new wheels, tires, suspension and new front brake rotors.

The passenger side seat still shakes violently at speeds about 75+.

The problem seems to surge for me though. It isnt a constant shake, it gradually gets bad, then it subsides, then gets bad, then subsides etc.

Its really annoying and I am at the point where I feel like selling my car because of the crappy ride quality on the highway. Do any of you guys have the problem that surges in and out? I have the stock steering ECU. I am getting really tired of this...

Should I try the fix you guys are speaking of or is this another problem all together?

It feels like the shake is coming from the rear. I see my wing bouncing up and down and my steering wheel isnt really shaking as you guys described; however, it does sometimes.
have you checked to makesure that all studs and lugnuts are on the car as they should be? ( i never thought that would make enoughof a difference but it did!) also... the daizen steering bushings helped smooth out a lot in my GS... also alot of ppl are replacing the bushings in their upper and lower control arms.. you can do that or just go buy new arms like i did.. and if you keep the car long enough, then you'll have an extra set to get thebushings for so you wont have any downtime!
Old 10-20-08, 07:52 AM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PR FIEBRU
Just adding this....
Can it be that tightening the steering tensioner is just covering up another problem by just making the steering tighter and covering up whatever that little vibration is??

i personally believe that it is just a cover up.. although i like mine just a tad tighter... its not anything that anyone would notice but it was enough that i liked it better.. i already solved my vibrations issues tho
Old 10-21-08, 06:04 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow this is a 6 year old thread
Old 12-02-08, 11:59 AM
grapedrink
Driver School Candidate

Just got 4 new 18" Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S and after having mounting, balancing, and alignment from Lexus the car would shake ~ 60mph.

Took it back into Lexus to figure out what was wrong and they found that ALL 4 tires are "Out Of Round" or have "Excessive Road Force". I'm not sure why they didn't find this problem when they did the balancing in the first place.
They supposedly hooked it up to the Hunter GSP9700 (measures road force) and found that one tire was off by 57lbs and the rest off by around 30lbs. Lexus said they like to see 5lbs max and that it could be the way the tires were stored that caused them to be out of round.
I called tirerack and they said they will send me 4 new replacement tires and pay for the balancing portion of it. Tiirerack dot com said they replace any tires that are over 20lbs of road force variation. Which isn't very comforting but a lot better than 57lbs wtf!

I haven't got the new new tires yet but heres to hoping that the vibration will go away after my next balance and that the tires they send me are good this time!!
Old 12-02-08, 09:22 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

that sucks...not happy to hear that.
Old 12-02-08, 09:35 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed
Old 12-02-08, 10:43 PM
dcz
Pole Position

I dont want to cover up the problem or anything.. I want it fixed! I keep hoping someone will figure it out..
Old 12-05-08, 08:57 PM
lilsharky
Pole Position

i finally finished reading all 14 pages. i have the shaking when i drive above 60 and im going to replace two front wheels and balance them. would this help fix a little bit of the vibration? and im going to tighten up the tensioner for now until i get money to replace the bushings, tie rods, ball joints and such. can anyone give me a list of what they did that completely solved the vibration? oh i have a 99 gs3 with some kind of 17 inch infiniti rims and everything else is stock.
Old 12-06-08, 11:40 AM
dcz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lilsharky
i finally finished reading all 14 pages. i have the shaking when i drive above 60 and im going to replace two front wheels and balance them. would this help fix a little bit of the vibration? and im going to tighten up the tensioner for now until i get money to replace the bushings, tie rods, ball joints and such. can anyone give me a list of what they did that completely solved the vibration? oh i have a 99 gs3 with some kind of 17 inch infiniti rims and everything else is stock.

If I were you, I wouldnt go off and buy new rims and tires.. I did that and it didnt do anything.. it just stayed the same... I even changed by shocks, springs all the bushings in that assembly and still no cigar...

Im going to do ball joints now.. I talked to someone on here that said that was his problem.. I am going to go check it out right now..

Quick Reply: Do you have a vibration at highway cruising speeds? Mine's fixed!