GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ah. new pumpkin bushings

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 05:17 PM
fasted1953
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ah. new pumpkin bushings

Just had the differential mount bushings replaced on my 99 GS400 at 107K mi. There was a drivetrain "lag/bump" when coasting and then hitting the gas. Much better now. I also noticed that it improved the ride a lot. Cost me 550, about half for the bushings (6 I think) and half for the labor.

Anyone else done this? Anybody DIY on this?
Old 02-09-11, 05:36 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Havent even heard of this before
Old 02-09-11, 05:40 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't even know they made replacement bushings for your diff?
Old 02-09-11, 06:34 PM
Sixdown
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/images/...00/410572D.jpg

There's a bunch of bushings on this diagram. Not sure if any of those are the actual required ones.
Old 02-09-11, 09:38 PM
fasted1953
Driver

It's the 4 or 6 rubber bushings that hold the diff in place. There are two really big ones above the differential that were sagging and deteriorating.

Appreciate the addition of the diagram. I will try to find another that showed them a little differently.
Old 02-09-11, 09:59 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixdown
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/images/...00/410572D.jpg

There's a bunch of bushings on this diagram. Not sure if any of those are the actual required ones.
i would assume he's talking about the N1 bushing and part #'s 41653/41654 on the diagram

Originally Posted by fasted1953
It's the 4 or 6 rubber bushings that hold the diff in place. There are two really big ones above the differential that were sagging and deteriorating.

Appreciate the addition of the diagram. I will try to find another that showed them a little differently.
oops....i should refresh my pages more often instead of loading them all at once and answering one at a time

i still have the broke diff in the garage, i can take a pic if you want....one of these days i will remove the broken spyder gears and get it ready to install a LSD into it or sell it...one of the two

Last edited by sakataj; 01-11-12 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-10-11, 07:31 PM
fasted1953
Driver

They replaced 6 bushings. The N1 were not replaced I dont think. There is a great parts diagram somewhere on the web, but I havent been able to find it again. Should have bookmarked it but I didn't. It shows how the diff attaches to the frame and where the bushings are located. You can't actually see the bushings in the diagram in this thread. If anybody finds the diagram, please post it.
Old 02-10-11, 09:46 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

They replaced 6 bushings. The N1 were not replaced I dont think. There is a great parts diagram somewhere on the web, but I havent been able to find it again. Should have bookmarked it but I didn't. It shows how the diff attaches to the frame and where the bushings are located. You can't actually see the bushings in the diagram in this thread. If anybody finds the diagram, please post it.
unless im wrong N1 is what attaches to the car, have to go snap a pic of mine...it still has the old bushings in it
Old 02-11-11, 04:29 AM
Invalid321
Driver School Candidate

N1 definetely are the front bushings for the diff, then 41651 on the lower right of that pic are the 2 rear bushings that bolt from the rear of the subframe.
I've been getting some lag/shock lately, i will certainly look into this. Although if i'm dropping the diff out, i might just wait and put a TT diff in it and call it a day.
Old 11-23-11, 11:35 PM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Just had the differential mount bushings replaced on my 99 GS400 at 107K mi. There was a drivetrain "lag/bump" when coasting and then hitting the gas. Much better now. I also noticed that it improved the ride a lot. Cost me 550, about half for the bushings (6 I think) and half for the labor.

Anyone else done this? Anybody DIY on this?
I'm glad you posted this. This is EXACTLY what my car has doing...first, I though it was just the motor mounts. the driver-side mount was broken, so I replaced that- and it's still making the "bump" when put into drive, and when letting off the gas (and the car upshifts, AND when turnin on the cruise control)

$550 though!!
Sakataj- did you do it yourself (assuming you did! ha) How long did the job take ?

Thanks for the help
Old 11-25-11, 12:13 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AirRideFan
Sakataj- did you do it yourself (assuming you did! ha) How long did the job take ?
i didnt replace the bushings but i did install my replacement diff (well i helped, i took it to my buddies shop and him and i installed it)...checked those bushings before the install and they were good so i just installed the differential

if i had thought more about it though i would have changed out the bushings before installing the second differential, that way i wouldn't have to worry about it ever down the road
Old 11-25-11, 08:11 PM
ShellWeezy
Rookie

My gs is doin this same thing .. Thanks for posting
Old 11-25-11, 09:00 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My silver GS was doing the same thing. I absolutely thought it was the transmission and was terrified with having to replace it. So one day i was driving on the freeway and the car made a weird humming noise and came to a stop. I thought to myself oh boy a lexus actually stranded me. Well when i got out i noticed therr was a foul smell and upon further inspection insaw my rear diff was leaking fluid like crazy. Turns out my diff went bad. Luckily i found a whole pumpkin with 60k miles for 200 bucks and installed it myself. Put in a new diff seal and gear oil and i was back in business. Anyways op my apologies for going off topic. Just had to share my little story
Old 08-01-12, 01:49 PM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Hey guys... just had ANOTHER new waterpump (and timing belt, etc) installed on my '01 GS430 yesterday, with just a little over 133k miles. I guess the waterpump went bad (it wasn't OEM)- but the guy that I purchased the car from just had a new timing belt, waterpump done around 110k ! Ahhh...

$989 plus tax at my local Lexus dealer (they didn't replace the thermostat, because I installed a new one just a few months ago)

Anyway- while it's in there, I'd REALLY like to have those Differential Mounts replaced. I'm contemplating whether I should buy these and have THEM install them...as well.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...w-product.html

I'd love to know exactly what part #'s they replaced on the OP's GS.
Fasted1953- do you have the receipt/invoice still... and could you let me know? I'd really appreciate it...
I just need to know what I should tell them... Also- I'm worried that the tranny mount might be a factor, also since the (front) motor mount on the LEFT side of the car was ripped in two pieces and I replaced it with a friend last year.

AHHHH...I don't know.

What would you recommend ?

GLAD that fixed your GS though, OP!

ShellWeezy- did you end up replacing your diff busings ???
Old 09-20-12, 04:20 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I sell the N1 bushings, you will defintely see an improvement on your car. I have sold alot of sets, and not one negative feedback on it.

Quick Reply: Ah. new pumpkin bushings