GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HID (ballast) problem - please help me

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-11, 01:37 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HID (ballast) problem - please help me

Hi guys,

I have a 99 GS3 with OEM HIDs. I recently swapped the OEM 4300k bulbs with aftermarket 6000k bulbs. This was a month ago.

The other night, while driving, my passenger headlight flashed about 5 times and went out. It hasn't turned on since. I searched a bit on the forum and people said to swap out the bulbs to see whether it's the bulb or ballast.

I took out the bulb, it looked normal. I swapped in both OEM bulbs (which were not faulty when I swapped them for the 6000k ones). None of them lit up.

So I am pretty sure it is a blown ballast.

So here are my questions:
- any other way to check whether it is the ballast or the bulb?
- could it be that my 6000k aftermarket bulb is responsible for blowing the OEM ballast?
- if it is a ballast, should I use a OEM ballast or an aftermarket one?
- on eBay, some are selling IS300 ballasts. Will these work on my GS?

example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-D...f#ht_500wt_975

This one looks like the one I have. The part number starts with 85967 just like mine.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Yves
Old 01-29-11, 04:40 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Well you already checked the ballast by swapping bulbs, now put the bulb that shut off on the other side, if it works, then you know its the ballast. You're better off going in the classifieds for a ballast because the one you need (which is not from the link you need) is like $120 on ebay, it looks like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-05...item19c2b65f6a

Its got a different mount to it. The harness that hooks to the bulb has to go through the bottom of the headlight itself (where theres a hole)
Old 01-29-11, 05:38 AM
OT0814
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly.... Couldn't have said it better myself. You can check with our vendor tony@luxury mods. see if he would sell a used one. Normally the ballast are pretty reliable from what I've heard. Surprised if the ballast blew. Good luck Op...

And nate what you doing awake still? Do you sleep? Lol
Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Well you already checked the ballast by swapping bulbs, now put the bulb that shut off on the other side, if it works, then you know its the ballast. You're better off going in the classifieds for a ballast because the one you need (which is not from the link you need) is like $120 on ebay, it looks like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-05...item19c2b65f6a

Its got a different mount to it. The harness that hooks to the bulb has to go through the bottom of the headlight itself (where theres a hole)
Old 01-29-11, 07:26 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Yeah I'd be surprised too if it's the ballast. I will try the bulb in the other headlight and see how it goes. If it works that would mean my 2 OEM bulbs are blown too and I'm 100% sure that is not the case.

Also I washed the car 3 days earlier. Maybe water got into the ballast casing? (I did not wash the engine bay, hood was closed)

As for the classifieds, I will look and see what I can find. I do need international shipping because I live in France.
Old 01-29-11, 10:27 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, I have tested the bulb in the other headlight and it worked fine. So I'm pretty sure the ballast is blown.

I haven't found anything in the classifieds, so I posted a "WTB" thread.

Also, are the ballasts servicable? It's maybe just a blown capacitor or something?

What about going the aftermarket ballast route? They're inexpensive. Would it work?
Old 01-29-11, 10:35 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Before you throw out the ballast, pull off the power plug and check with a voltmeter to make sure you're actually getting 12v.

Aftermarket ballast will work. Just make sure you have the adapter that allows you to connect the ballast to the the D2R bulb. Also are you sure they're (ebay link) is the exact same one? The OEM is a gen 1 that's big and bulky. That one looks like the Gen 3 or so. I have both ballasts on different cars and they're different in phsical size and where the wires come out of the ballast.
Old 01-29-11, 10:38 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

^^Not a bad idea!

Btw is there a seperate fuse for the left/right headlight? If yes, it might be a blown fuse...

Thanks for the info. My OEM ballast has part # 85967-30030. So I'm guessing Mr Jokster posted the right ballast or almost (85967-30031, maybe it's a drivers' side ballast).
Old 01-29-11, 10:41 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't recall there being any separate fuses for the ballasts.
Old 01-29-11, 11:26 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

I have checked the repair manual. It says there is a low beam fuse, as well as a high beam fuse for each side in the "Engine Room N°1 Junction Box" (driver's side).

It would be fuse "20. H-LP R LWR". I'm gonna check it out tomorrow. You never know...
Old 01-29-11, 02:12 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Yea I just posted the link for reference and picture of the different ballast.

OP: look up our fellow member EMOSHUN he may have a ballast for you. He has a bunch of them and bulbs sitting around
Old 01-30-11, 04:37 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Mr Jokster! Rockero has replied on my "WTB" thread in the classifieds. I will first see with him.

The fuses checked out ok, so the problem must be the ballast.... I wasn't able to take the headlight out. It's too cold to work outside atm.
Old 01-30-11, 05:08 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not seeing your pic. Could you post it again please?
Old 01-30-11, 06:38 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YviE
I'm not seeing your pic. Could you post it again please?
I've already posted the pic and link above
Old 01-30-11, 07:21 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I know, don't worry.

I was just hoping to see the ballast from another angle or so.

I hope I am not making a mistake in getting a used ballast and have it blow up on my again soon...
Old 01-30-11, 07:47 AM
jcastaneda
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YviE
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Yeah I'd be surprised too if it's the ballast. I will try the bulb in the other headlight and see how it goes. If it works that would mean my 2 OEM bulbs are blown too and I'm 100% sure that is not the case.

Also I washed the car 3 days earlier. Maybe water got into the ballast casing? (I did not wash the engine bay, hood was closed)

As for the classifieds, I will look and see what I can find. I do need international shipping because I live in France.
I feel your pain I went through this just about a week ago...if you check out my thread a video was put on there about water and the ballast. Luckly mine was just a old tired out bulb.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-burn-out.html

GL with your ballast? I know that my ballast made a 1 to 2 sec noise trying to turn on so listen for the ballast if you can. Just another suggestion.

Quick Reply: HID (ballast) problem - please help me