GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

kinetick suckks!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-11, 12:07 AM
robertoyou
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kinetick suckks!

i bought a kinetick 1800 to replace my optima cus supposedly they are so great, and they probably are. but in my situation it made no differance.

i still get extreme dimming and my voltage gets down to 11 volts where my amps just shut on and off unless i back off the volume.

pretty pissed. i expected much more out of it and i wasted gf's money on this.
maybe big 3 will help?
Old 01-25-11, 12:53 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

still using one battery? What amps are you running again?
Old 01-25-11, 01:44 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hmmm I have the same battery that i haven't installed yet. Can you take pics of it installed? How well did it fit? Any custom mounting necessary?
Old 01-25-11, 06:42 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

with as much power/the setup your running....i would think you need more than one battery and a hc1800 may not be enough for you. im running a hc2400 and a hc1800 and i love both of them....not one single issue with them although i am thinking of going to a hc2400 underhood and a hc3600 in the trunk as a precaution

AND you know what? after reading your OTHER new repost thread DONT BLAME KINETIK FOR YOUR MISTAKE. your running all this power and haven't even done a BIG 3 DIY, which means your probably on the OEM alternator also? when you have the proper wiring/accommodating mods(which would include a 2nd battery more than likely) done to accommodate the power your pushing and then you have battery issues THEN blame kinetik. but you cant throw a kinetik into a car and expect it to be a miracle fix for your problems. think about your electrical system like this

take a coffee straw (your OEM wire) blow through it as hard as possible (the breathe being the electrical current)

NOW

take a mcdonalds straw (bigger wire) and blow through it as hard as possible

which one is easier to get more air (current) through....

sorry,i started rambling after listening to you complain about something you should have addressed and then blame someone else for it so this might not make sense to you. BTW must be nice to have the GF buying your parts :P

Last edited by sakataj; 01-25-11 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-25-11, 09:06 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

You can get all the batteries you want, but if the alternator doesnt produce enough amps to charge it, its useless.
Old 01-25-11, 09:11 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
You can get all the batteries you want, but if the alternator doesnt produce enough amps to charge it, its useless.

It's only a matter of time before the audio system depletes the battery. You're really overworking your alternator if you are getting ~11.8v at the amp with the car running (assuming low voltage drop from your battery/alt to the amp)
Old 01-25-11, 02:14 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Gotta agree with these guys, do the big 3 and then see where you're at. Don't know what you're running but the big 3 is a must for any significant system IMHO. Also, quality battery terminals can make a big difference. Look at the entire electrical system and identify any weak points that could choke the flow.
Old 01-25-11, 03:02 PM
Xr2GS300
Driver School Candidate

big 3 would help...im running a 3000w amp and my voltage would drop to 12.1 without the big 3..after the big 3 my voltage is between 13.9-12.9 when im pounding the sounds
Old 01-25-11, 05:20 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
No necessarily. On paper that is true. However, I'm running 4 batteries with 2500 real watts and 2 air compressors on the stock alternator and it kept up for about 2 years no problem, after my good amps were stolen and I am using not so efficient amps I know how a bit of charging problems, but even now I have to be hitting VERY hard for a while before I have any clipping problems. Storage helps a lot and a very efficient amp is key!
Old 01-25-11, 05:41 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ive had Kinetik batteries and they are awsome. i ran two in my GS now running one in my LS. you cant expect swapping out the battery will solve your dimming problems batteries can only do so much.
Old 01-26-11, 12:52 AM
robertoyou
Advanced

thanks for the replies guys.
im getting really frustrated with my voltage now. i never paid too much attention to it, but now its really frustrating that im getting down to 11.2 volts and amps going into protect. ****ing annoying.

anyways, i didnt expect the kinetik to solve all my voltage problems, but i was hoping id see a good diferance to that of the yellowtop. and i guess i do, my voltage sits at 13.9-14 votls when i turn on my car and dont turn up the system. then as i turn it up, my voltage gets eaten up.

im planing on doing the big three, but i dont know ho much wire i need. i posted a thread and hopefully someone replied. anyoen know how much wire i need to do big 3 in our cars? hopefully not too much so i can afford it and do it in a week or so.

im running a sundown at 1200 watts and 4 channel jbl at about 200 also. assuming they are all running at full rms, thats about 1400 watts, which isnt much and i always hear of people doing like 2k watts on stock alt and just a good battery. so it frustrates me that im not running that much power and yet i have such low voltage.

big 3 will be done, but i want to keep my car as stock looking as possible, adding another battery to the trunk would take more space and more weight and more money. which is why i dont just add a h/o alt.
Old 01-26-11, 12:57 AM
robertoyou
Advanced

Originally Posted by sakataj
with as much power/the setup your running....i would think you need more than one battery and a hc1800 may not be enough for you. im running a hc2400 and a hc1800 and i love both of them....not one single issue with them although i am thinking of going to a hc2400 underhood and a hc3600 in the trunk as a precaution

AND you know what? after reading your OTHER new repost thread DONT BLAME KINETIK FOR YOUR MISTAKE. your running all this power and haven't even done a BIG 3 DIY, which means your probably on the OEM alternator also? when you have the proper wiring/accommodating mods(which would include a 2nd battery more than likely) done to accommodate the power your pushing and then you have battery issues THEN blame kinetik. but you cant throw a kinetik into a car and expect it to be a miracle fix for your problems. think about your electrical system like this

take a coffee straw (your OEM wire) blow through it as hard as possible (the breathe being the electrical current)

NOW

take a mcdonalds straw (bigger wire) and blow through it as hard as possible

which one is easier to get more air (current) through....

sorry,i started rambling after listening to you complain about something you should have addressed and then blame someone else for it so this might not make sense to you. BTW must be nice to have the GF buying your parts :P
yes im on stock alt. still cant afford a 500 dollar alt lol. well i could but ive been told i can definitely get away with out a h/o alt for just 1400 watts. its not that much. so tahts exactly what ive been trying to do. i figured. good battery and big three would be good enough. but its not. =(
idk whats up with my electrical or if i got soemthing missing that can take my voltage up and keep it up. how does ur electical do with your kinetiks? ...oh wait, you got a damn bad **** alt under your hood and two big *** batteries! lol. wish i was you with all that power.

and its okay, im just pissed that i didnt see any differance between my yellowtop and 1800, i thought i definitely would.
yes i love when gf buys me parts. lol
Old 01-26-11, 12:59 AM
robertoyou
Advanced

Originally Posted by excluesive
hmmm I have the same battery that i haven't installed yet. Can you take pics of it installed? How well did it fit? Any custom mounting necessary?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwcLRqOjiTE
theres a vid, check it out, i show the battery under the hood.

the 1800 fits PERFECT. no mods, fits with the stock battery holder and everything. not a single problem. so dont worry about it at all.
il post pics tomorrow.

Last edited by robertoyou; 01-26-11 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-26-11, 01:02 AM
robertoyou
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
still using one battery? What amps are you running again?

lol yup. except i went from yellowtop to a kinetik as of last week. thought the kinetick would help a good deal but nope.

amps:

sub amp- sundown sae1200. 1200 watts @ 1ohm
4 channel- jbl ccs60.4 ~240 watts total

bout 1440 watts total. i dont think thats THAT much and i think my stock alt and a good battery should be able to handle it no?
Old 01-26-11, 10:48 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm running about 2000 watts all class AB on a stock alternator and regular battery, nothing fancy. Did the big 3 and using Stinger battery terminals. When I first hooked this up in another car the cheap battery terminals were choking the system to the point where the amps shut down, was fixed with a better terminal; all those little things make a difference.

As far as the big 3 wire, get a tape measure and measure from the alternator to battery; battery to ground and any other grounds you want to do. Add a couple feet to the total so you don't come up short but this should get you pretty close without buying a bunch of extra wire. I think I used around 10 feet in my car but others might do the grounds differently and use a little more or less.

Quick Reply: kinetick suckks!