GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car not starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-10, 11:06 AM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car not starting

Ok, I have searched and read a lot about this, but nothing i've read has had the same exact symptoms.

My car does not start in the cold....at first, it eventually starts when the key has been left in the on position for anywhere from 30 sec to 5 min depending how cold (40 degrees vs 20) (and when it starts it starts great).
When I turn the key it clicks ONCE. I know its not my battery or anything with my charging system. (just had it checked)
Also there is no corrosion on my terminals or anywhere else for that matter. All connections are tight etc...

So at this point I would think its the starter, but does it make sense that the starter would suddenly work after doing nothing but having the key in the run position? Its almost like something has to "warm up". A friend suggested it could be the starter relay.

Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

1998 Gs300

Also when the key is in the run position there is a whining/buzzing noise (not the brake booster) coming from the engine bay, almost sounds like its coming from the throttle body...anyone know what that is?

Another unrelated thing...ok so when I am braking, at low speeds, I hear a creaking sound that is coming from behind the dash. This sound gets louder (its not that loud tho, my gf never notices it lol) the harder I push the brake pedal, and does not sound at all when the car is stationary no matter if I push the pedal or not. Any Ideas? (also I have recently replaced all my pads and rotors with ebc slotted rotors and redstuff pads, and I also just did an extensive check/test of everything front/rear suspension wise. Ball joint are fine btw)

Thanks in advance

Last edited by fordsvtmfl; 12-14-10 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-14-10, 11:10 AM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can u possibly provide video? Short vid from your phone would do perfect.
Old 12-14-10, 01:01 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Ill try soon, its middle of exam week for me so I don't exactly have any extra time lol

Also for clarification. It ALWAYS starts the first time when the car is WARM. It only does not start when the car is cold, and the colder it is, the more stubborn it is. But when it does finally decide to even try to turn over it stars great.
Old 12-14-10, 11:49 PM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

This happened to me last year after having my car sit for 2 days in sub 30 degree temps without using it.

it took a good 5-10 min to start. i contacted lexus about it, and the service advisor told me in very low temps, the fuel in the lines starts to crystalize, and this is "normal"
Old 12-15-10, 05:06 AM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Clear2Cloz
This happened to me last year after having my car sit for 2 days in sub 30 degree temps without using it.

it took a good 5-10 min to start. i contacted lexus about it, and the service advisor told me in very low temps, the fuel in the lines starts to crystalize, and this is "normal"
lol, so does leaving the key on "warm" the fuel up or something? Did you car turn over? It seems that if it was the fuel the car would still turn over. Also this started before freezing temps hit.

Last edited by fordsvtmfl; 12-15-10 at 05:30 AM.
Old 12-15-10, 06:49 AM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
lol, so does leaving the key on "warm" the fuel up or something? Did you car turn over? It seems that if it was the fuel the car would still turn over. Also this started before freezing temps hit.
it would just crank and crank before it finally turned over. when you turn your key to the off position and back on, the fuel pump turns on, maybe it pressurises the fuel lines forcing the "icy fuel crystals" out

i haven't had any problems in warmer temps, or even in the cold since then for that matter. give lexus a call, see what they say. i figured they would give me the run around and tell me to bring the car in...they didnt do that. i have actually called my local delership a few times regarding issues i had, and they did their best on pointing me in the right direction on waht to do.

give it a shot! let me know how everything turns out
Old 12-15-10, 10:06 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Why don't you go ahead and replace the spark plugs. If they are very old, they can take some serous warming up before actually igniting the fuel.
Old 12-15-10, 10:43 AM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by slickgt1
Why don't you go ahead and replace the spark plugs. If they are very old, they can take some serous warming up before actually igniting the fuel.
Not sure if this comment is direct at me or the other guy...but my spark plugs are new (less than 10k) and just so everything is clear
My car does NOT crank over. It just clicks, once, and THEN after awhile it Starts great, but this ONLY happens when the car is cold.
Old 12-15-10, 01:24 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl

So at this point I would think its the starter, but does it make sense that the starter would suddenly work after doing nothing but having the key in the run position?
Yes, a failing starter will be intermittent, just as you describe, sometimes for months...

The copper contacts in your stater are a wearing down, replace them for under $20.

...you have a 2jz motor, that is a 30 minute removal.

Temperature has nothing to do with it, good luck.
Old 12-15-10, 01:34 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FrankT
Yes, a failing starter will be intermittent, just as you describe, sometimes for months...

The copper contacts in your stater are a wearing down, replace them for under $20.

...you have a 2jz motor, that is a 30 minute removal.

Temperature has nothing to do with it, good luck.

See the problem is it DOES have to do with temperature. It has been DIRECTLY related to temperature for over 2 months. i.e. a cold snap hit for a few days, and it gave me trouble every day for about a week, then it got warmer (in the 60's) for about 2 weeks, and it started EVERY TIME. When we got another cold front, (now really really cold lol) It takes forever to get started, and it starts EVERY time when the car is still warm. I can't see how starting the car 100's of times in the past 2 months, and EVERY time it doesn't start its cold..and been cold, and EVERY time it does start its warm (either the car or the weather) is a coincidence.

I'm not saying its not the starter, but I really can't see how something like that is a coincidence.

Also, I do follow the same routine 5 days a week, and when its warm outside it starts up every morning. (same time, right away) and when it got colder, it has not started. (same time). But when I go to lunch, the car starts up fine, (still somewhat warm) but by the time I leave to go home (when its cold out) it won't start for a few min.

Also does anyone have any input to my other 2 questions? (at the bottom of the first post)

Thanks
Old 12-16-10, 12:49 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

No one has any input? specifically for the other issues?
Old 12-16-10, 07:04 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

you got a voltmeter check your battery also, but what you are descibing its the starter. And i think it does have effect of being cold and hot metal expands and contracts with heat so it could definately have something to do with temperature. if you dont think so, do what you normally do like dont start the car for the first time, take a blow dryer and warm the starter up lets see what happens. I think itll start the first time.
Old 12-16-10, 08:09 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Putting a starter in tomorrow, ill let everyone know how it goes...in the mean time, anyone know...

when the key is in the run position there is a whining/buzzing noise (not the brake booster) coming from the engine bay, almost sounds like its coming from the throttle body...anyone know what that is?

Another thing.. when I am braking, at low speeds, I hear a creaking sound that is coming from behind the dash. This sound gets louder (its not that loud tho, my gf never notices it lol) the harder I push the brake pedal, and does not sound at all when the car is stationary no matter if I push the pedal or not. Any Ideas? (also I have recently replaced all my pads and rotors with ebc slotted rotors and redstuff pads, and I also just did an extensive check/test of everything front/rear suspension wise. Ball joint are fine btw)
Old 12-17-10, 01:29 AM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

coming from the engine bay, almost sounds like its coming from the throttle body...anyone know what that is?
thats the pedal position motor or something its right there by the trottle body.
the sound from the dash i dunno
Good luck did you check your battery terminals if they are tight and not coroded?
Old 12-17-10, 01:30 AM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Also there is no corrosion on my terminals or anywhere else for that matter. All connections are tight etc...
JUST READ THAT SORRY but couldnt hurt to check that they dont move

Quick Reply: Car not starting