GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Winter tires for the 2GS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-10, 07:19 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree that it is mostly about driving habits and experience. I have always driven rear wheel cars and I have used just about every kind of snow tire at least once, including , Blizzaks, Continentals, Goodyear, and Michelin. Certainly some are better than others but overall if you know what your can can do and what it will do, you will probably do ok in winter conditions.

Horsepower and car weight make a difference but in snow and ice its all about gas pedal control. You can either let VSC & Snow Mode do it for you or you can learn to do it yourself. If you are careful you shouldn't be going side ways (unless maybe if you hit a patch of black ice).

On my GS4 right now I am using Michelin PA2's. I like them a lot. I have used Goodyear GW3's and they worked very well also. I had some older Blizzaks which had at least 70% tread but I did not had good luck with them at all. I am using General Altimax Arctic on my RWD Cressida and I think they may even better than the Michelins.

It's not a bad idea to practice in snow covered parking lots or deserted roads.
Old 12-04-10, 07:32 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Gives me some food for thought. Gonna see if after Christmas I can pick up a set of snow tires.

****-adkt: no FI, but my entire drivetrain only weighs 1lb, 4oz, and all 300hp make it to the tires! (I was thinking crank hp.)
Old 12-04-10, 08:48 PM
kpazzo6
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris98GS4
I just put my winter setup on today. I used General Altimax Arctic(something like that)

I'm hoping for a lot better traction that with my all seasons. This will be the first year for having 4 snows on for me.

Any car I've ever owned I always had a set of winter rims and tires for winter season...Chicago it gets crazy and I've had close calls that I value my life to spend money on additional safety.

This year I got General Altimax Arctic instead of Bridgestone Blizzaks like I normally do and for price and test drives so far its worth the $420 I paid shipped!

I took them to Walmart Tire center and they installed them for $12 a tire...total $48 with tax. Not bad...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Old 12-04-10, 09:04 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Oh the joys of living in So Cal!
Old 12-05-10, 03:28 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Oh the joys of living in So Cal!
Minus the bad traffic part.
Old 12-05-10, 10:41 AM
tommy152
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would always spin the tires when trying to accelerate from a stopped position on any incline when it snowed. I've used the Goodyear Ultra Grips for the past 4 years and its a night and day difference.
Old 12-05-10, 11:51 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by McKrevice
Blizzaks IMO are the best you can buy for the money. Mine wore out and I replaced them with Firestone Winterforces. They suck ***** compared to the Blizzak.
When you say they suck compared to Blizzak, what exactly do you mean? I purchased a set of Winterforces last year, and they were freaking awesome, I couldn't even get stuck. I've only got stuck once, and that was on ice!

From the photos Blizzaks thread doesn't seem to be as aggressive as Winterforce. I could Blizzaks being superior on dry roads, and being quieter, but I have trouble seeing Blizzaks being superior in snow.
Old 12-05-10, 06:50 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Personally I don't know if Blizzaks are superior than the other winter tires but they did the job for me after the brutal winter we had last. I just feel confident driving in the snow without the worries of skidding, fishtailing and getting stuck with just a few inches on the ground.
Old 12-05-10, 07:47 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

The Blizzak model name is used on a number of Bridgestone winter tires -- some are so-so winter "performance" tires and some are the real deal for winter use. When you use the term "Blizzak" to describe tires, please tell us the Blizzak model you are referring to.
Old 12-06-10, 06:56 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

^^ True true since there are different models of Blizzak tires. Mine are the WS60.
Old 12-06-10, 10:52 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
^^ True true since there are different models of Blizzak tires. Mine are the WS60.
Both the Blizzak LM-60 and WS60 are serious, SERIOUS, winter tires. From my understanding the WS60 is better in ice/deep snow, the LM-60 is "top of the list" when it comes to deep snow in the performance winter category.

I recently took off my 19's wheels and tires and mounted some Vredestein Wintertrac Extremes (225/45-18 front, 255/40-18 rear) on L-Tuned wheels. My concern wasn't so much getting around when snow is 6 inches plus, my concern was anything less than 6 inches of snow and general cold weather driving with the highest level of comfort a winter tire can produce. So far with one week on the tires the ride is BETTER than I expected.

Bring on the snow!

From my research, the top tires in the winter performance class are:

Nokian WR G2 *
Hankook Winter i*cept evo
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3
Bridgestone LM-60

My personal top choices are:

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3
Vredestein Wintertrac Extremes
Bridgestone LM-60
Old 12-06-10, 10:57 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My biggest concern with winter tires is getting in and out of snow. Here in NYC streets are usually plowed almost immediately after it snows, so driving around isn't a problem. However getting into the driveway can provide to be tricky, especially if theres two feel of plowed snow in front of it. I know Firestone Winterforce do not get much respect, but last winter they proved to be amazing for me. I could get through any snow as long as I wasn't getting belly stuck. However they do suck on dry pavement and road noise and harshness are pretty bad.
Old 12-06-10, 06:32 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
I recently took off my 19's wheels and tires and mounted some Vredestein Wintertrac Extremes (225/45-18 front, 255/40-18 rear) on L-Tuned wheels. My concern wasn't so much getting around when snow is 6 inches plus, my concern was anything less than 6 inches of snow and general cold weather driving with the highest level of comfort a winter tire can produce. So far with one week on the tires the ride is BETTER than I expected.
Same for me too.
Originally Posted by Och
My biggest concern with winter tires is getting in and out of snow. Here in NYC streets are usually plowed almost immediately after it snows, so driving around isn't a problem. However getting into the driveway can provide to be tricky, especially if theres two feel of plowed snow in front of it.
Since moving from NYC to Delaware I've seen how lackluster they are here with snow removal. A lot of times the snow on roads gets packed from not being plowed and being driven on and thats when I ran into problems when I didn't have snow tires. I still may lose traction here and there but thats only when I apply a little too much gas especially from a dead stop. I've yet to have any issues going up my driveway with snow on the ground.
Old 12-06-10, 07:02 PM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Third vote for General Altimax Arctic. They are a great tire for the price. I'm running all 4 now and perform admirably. Here's a thread about this on another forum:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/jc-wh...-tires-937324/
Old 03-12-11, 02:31 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just took off my Vredestein Wintrac tires and let me say, they were FANTASTIC this winter. Incredible grip, outstanding water evacuation, and a great ride. I highly recommend
Attached Thumbnails Winter tires for the 2GS?-img_1358.jpg   Winter tires for the 2GS?-img_1357.jpg  

Quick Reply: Winter tires for the 2GS?