GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What happened to Christian Rado's TTGS400?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-10, 01:18 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another reading fail.... Is this a stock motor and trans...? If so, I'd just strip the AEM setup and manifolds and turn around and sell the motor/trans for as much as I could get back out of it. I would say there is $1,500-2,000 tied up into that, than after that, I'm not sure what it's worth (built or not, and what's inside). I don't think you got a great deal, just an OK one. Not busting you *****, just breaking the cost down. 1UZFE $1,500, A650e tranny $500, GS4 diff & axles(+LSD?) $500+, turbo manifolds $500-1,000, AEM $1,000... So depending on what is all inside of everything, motor, trans, diff, than it will give a better indication if it's a steal or if you just got a deal on it. Keep in mind you didn't get the downpipes, charge piping, filters, intercooler, etc, which isn't going to make you go broke, just keep it in mind when your budgeting the build. It's nice to see he has the oil lines included, which will save you a few bucks, and since the oil pan is tapped, should save you some more as well.

Last edited by 3UZFTE; 12-16-10 at 01:26 PM. Reason: I see the oil feed and drain lines.
Old 12-16-10, 01:47 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Another reading fail.... Is this a stock motor and trans...? If so, I'd just strip the AEM setup and manifolds and turn around and sell the motor/trans for as much as I could get back out of it. I would say there is $1,500-2,000 tied up into that, than after that, I'm not sure what it's worth (built or not, and what's inside). I don't think you got a great deal, just an OK one. Not busting you *****, just breaking the cost down. 1UZFE $1,500, A650e tranny $500, GS4 diff & axles(+LSD?) $500+, turbo manifolds $500-1,000, AEM $1,000... So depending on what is all inside of everything, motor, trans, diff, than it will give a better indication if it's a steal or if you just got a deal on it. Keep in mind you didn't get the downpipes, charge piping, filters, intercooler, etc, which isn't going to make you go broke, just keep it in mind when your budgeting the build. It's nice to see he has the oil lines included, which will save you a few bucks, and since the oil pan is tapped, should save you some more as well.
I'm still waiting for specs on the motor...of course its not worth that if its stock...
Old 12-16-10, 02:02 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

yeah its not a stock motor...it made almost 800 hp reliably...no way a stock motor would take that power, plus the guy is a pro race car driver its built to the hilt

Originally Posted by speedaddic
I'm still waiting for specs on the motor...of course its not worth that if its stock...
i told you dude was slow to respond....you should call him if your serious

keep us posted thomas and good luck
Old 12-16-10, 09:07 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike Alejos might be able to respond to you faster
Old 12-17-10, 09:20 AM
3UZFTE

I hope this wasn't a motor that was built by TTC.... when you say 800hp, I am just shocked to hear that a A650e and GS diff/axles held up to that kind of power. Again, not busting *****, but 5k is a lot of money on a used setup. If the guy is slow to respond, move on... I just know that if I were to be selling a mint 1UZ/A650e/LSD/custom turbo setup, I would be documenting everything that went into the build. Ie. H-beam rods, CP pistons, custom rings, cnc'd heads, 304 stainless headers. I'm sure this guy is 100% legit, but to me if someone expect someone else to drop 5k on a setup and barely understand what's inside... No thanks. I would really try to have some speed shop fab up some headers to place a single turbo in the factory airbox area. Even if you spend $2k on it, your going to come out on top and can skip the motor/tranny install. You were going to have to buy a turbo anyways. Oil feed and drain aren't difficult at all, most speed shops have the ability to drill and tap the pan. The oil lines can be bought from eBay with decent reliability. The only benefit I would see to buying this deal if the engine and tranny are built. Just please tell me this isn't a TTC motor.
Old 12-17-10, 09:32 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

It was built by Christian Rado @ World Racing...It was his own personal car before he got into an accident.....
Old 12-17-10, 11:11 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

3uzfte, I think we get it...LOL I'm not flying in here blind.
Old 12-17-10, 12:11 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
Mike Alejos might be able to respond to you faster
i had to look on world racings website to see who that was....rob who myself was and now who thomas is communicating with is the general manager, why would the Marketing & Advertising, Descendant Sales be able to handle this better? i been meaning to ask you though Jay, you seem to have some inside scoop....how do you know all these guys or whats your connection here?

I hope this wasn't a motor that was built by TTC.... when you say 800hp, I am just shocked to hear that a A650e and GS diff/axles held up to that kind of power. Again, not busting *****, but 5k is a lot of money on a used setup. If the guy is slow to respond, move on... I just know that if I were to be selling a mint 1UZ/A650e/LSD/custom turbo setup, I would be documenting everything that went into the build.
this whole thing made me chuckle,...the tranny was built,the engine was built, i would assume has has some custom axles and probably had a custom driveshaft (maybe not thought). i mean this isnt his first rodeo for a high horsepower vehicle

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
It was built by Christian Rado @ World Racing...It was his own personal car before he got into an accident.....
According to Damion, he and Mo delivered these, so i would be inclined to believe SRT and not rado actually built it...

Originally Posted by macd7919
Heh, I remember delivering that car in PA.
Originally Posted by macd7919
No, Mo and I drove it up there and delivered it to Rado at World Industries then drove back in my Supra.

BUT its possible rado built it and then had Mo build him the turbo kits afterwards. i dunno either way its a fully built motor and coming from a very reliable source.

I'm not flying in here blind.
yes u r, dont lie....your such a noob ESPECIALLY at forced induction just messing
Old 12-17-10, 12:52 PM
3UZFTE

.I just think it's funny when you say it was built to hold 800hp, but than you said you assume he has built axles, even though the ones in the pictures look exactly like used factory axles, maybe I'm wrong, but can't blame me for trying to help. If I dropped 5k on a used motor, I'd wanna know the mileage, boost levels, and as much as I could about it. But than again, I do all of my own work instead of having others do it for me. If I am going to spend good money, I want proof, not assumptions. Sorry for trying to help a fellow CL'er.

Edit: The motor listed is a 4.3, is it a 1 or 3UZ?
Specs.
SRT built Twin Turbo GS400
Ross Pistons
Cunningham Rods
SRT ported and polished head
upgraded valve springs
ARP head studs
SRT built manifolds
Accufab throttle body......notice the drive by wire is gone+ instant response
750cc injectors
Chrome intake manifold, timing gear covers, and valve covers

Drivetrain:
AAP stage 5 race built TH400 auto tranny (looks like A650e in picture, doens't look like TH400)
Pro Torque torque converter (Stock?)
Supra 3.76 LSD rear

Buy it, because if it's still the same motor, $5k in the motor alone.

Last edited by 3UZFTE; 12-17-10 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-17-10, 01:50 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

sell LSD for 800
sell aem and harness for 1000
sell tranny and manifolds...????

Should still come up with a used built block for a little over 2k. Of course we would want to know what kind of boost the motor has seen, open it up and check it out. I was trying to find out if they had any cams in there regrind or new billet pieces but again...waiting for a response.
Old 12-17-10, 02:39 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

I just think it's funny when you say it was built to hold 800hp, but than you said you assume he has built axles, even though the ones in the pictures look exactly like used factory axles, maybe I'm wrong, but can't blame me for trying to help.
i said i assume because when i was pursuing this with Rob,the general manager, i had never made it this far into the conversation. not because he didn't tell me, i said i assume cause i didn't ask and i don't know....

If I dropped 5k on a used motor, I'd wanna know the mileage, boost levels, and as much as I could about it. But than again, I do all of my own work instead of having others do it for me.
hahaha, i dunno if that was aimed at me or thomas. i do 90% of my own work but i dont feel capable of building a motor so i would outsource it to someone else. so your telling me you do your own machining and building of a engine? man i wish we lived near each other since you can do all your own stuff i would be at your house everyday

Edit: The motor listed is a 4.3, is it a 1 or 3UZ?
Specs.
SRT built Twin Turbo GS400
Ross Pistons
Cunningham Rods
SRT ported and polished head
upgraded valve springs
ARP head studs
SRT built manifolds
Accufab throttle body......notice the drive by wire is gone+ instant response
750cc injectors
Chrome intake manifold, timing gear covers, and valve covers

Drivetrain:
AAP stage 5 race built TH400 auto tranny (looks like A650e in picture, doens't look like TH400)
Pro Torque torque converter (Stock?)
Supra 3.76 LSD rear

Buy it, because if it's still the same motor, $5k in the motor alone.
where did u get these specs?from this link?

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=559196

well BTW thats not even the same car...it a CL members car....this one

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...d-is-done.html

had you READ this thread, you would know i mistook who it was, i said it in post # 9-12 (thinking the owners name was paul) and offered my apologizes when i was corrected...i had the right car wrong name

what i was know is why you so jumpy anyways? your not buying it,trying to buy it or anything...i dunno why you have this big chip on your shoulder but
trust me man, i'm 100% sure before thomas gets fully involved he will find out all the info

lets get this tread back on topic please

sell LSD for 800

Should still come up with a used built block for a little over 2k.
and thats a great price for a built block

Last edited by sakataj; 12-17-10 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-17-10, 03:41 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Haha. Funny cat! All he's missing is the monacle. Continue with your rant.
Old 12-18-10, 12:40 AM
3UZFTE

Originally Posted by sakataj
hahaha, i dunno if that was aimed at me or thomas. i do 90% of my own work but i dont feel capable of building a motor so i would outsource it to someone else. so your telling me you do your own machining and building of a engine? man i wish we lived near each other since you can do all your own stuff i would be at your house everyday

where did u get these specs?from this link?

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=559196

well BTW thats not even the same car...it a CL members car....this one

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...d-is-done.html

had you READ this thread, you would know i mistook who it was, i said it in post # 9-12 (thinking the owners name was paul) and offered my apologizes when i was corrected...i had the right car wrong name

what i was know is why you so jumpy anyways? your not buying it,trying to buy it or anything...i dunno why you have this big chip on your shoulder but
trust me man, i'm 100% sure before thomas gets fully involved he will find out all the info
Yes, I do all of my own work. I use a local machining place that has done our machining work for years. I have built several engines, which is why I would like to know more about what's inside as I have a natural curiosity.

Being patient is not my strong suit, I don't often sit and read through the whole thread because people A) often don't know what their talking about and B) are boring and ask the same things over. Next time I should read a little bit more carefully. So is it or is it not the specs that were posted in the thread?

I wouldn't say that I am jumpy, I simply wouldn't like anyone I have some respect for drop $5k on a setup that he isn't sure about, which includes you as well. Threads are free advice, and I am just adding my input. Would you rather have me say "hey man, sweet deal, buy it, it's a twin turbo!!" and kiss your a$$, or would you rather have someone ask about the specs and receipts and what not to prove what is inside. You can take what I say offensively, but in reality I am just trying to make sure no one gets ripped off. I'm sure everyone involved is 100% legit, but seriously, not one person really asked any tough questions regarding the build. I seriously would love to know as much about this engine as possible just out of curiosity and because I have the respect and appreciation for the effort that has gone into this. If your familiar with c0wboy @ TTC, you'd know what could possibly be sold as a built 1UZ.

I wasn't really trying to aim it at anyone in particular, but mostly adding that I do understand how to build a motor, trans, and everything else. If you would like to follow my build of my turbo LS400, feel free. I just am trying to give a better idea or maybe a little more insight to a fellow CL'er because not everyone might have the background I do. I am not an expert, nor do I claim to be one, I am just throwing my thoughts out, take it or leave it I guess.

sell LSD for 800

Should still come up with a used built block for a little over 2k. Of course we would want to know what kind of boost the motor has seen, open it up and check it out. I was trying to find out if they had any cams in there regrind or new billet pieces but again...waiting for a response.
If the engine has been built in almost any manner, it's worth it. Depending on what's inside, In4Specs, but lets says he has CP pistons, eagle rods, ported heats, custom cams and valvetrain, it's definitely worth it regardless if it needs a rebuild. I hate to beat a dead horse, but once you find out specs of it, it'll be a lot easier to find out what has been invested and what you may be able to get recoup. I will say $5k is a good chunk of change to drop, but you can ALMOST always get your money back especially with things like this when people have to pay a premium to make good horsepower.

#RantDone. #In4Specs.

Last edited by 3UZFTE; 12-18-10 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-18-10, 12:58 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Originally Posted by GSJake
Did he say what type of diff that is? Supra TT? Gearing?
The diff in the pic is not a TT, so unless they swapped the internals . . .
Old 12-18-10, 05:24 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Damn, there's alot of mis information/ speculation on this thread, ecspecially when it comes to potentially purchasing a used set up.

I can clear a few things up for you guys.

Rado did not build this car, Mo at SRT built it. Im local, I watched the car get built. I was ecspecially interested since it was prior to mine getting built. Mo and Damian delivered the car to Rado in PA when it was complete.

The car did not put down 800 rwhp, at least not when it left SRT.

The car did not have a TH400, it was the SRT built stock tranny (if there is such a thing).

I dont know the exact specs on the motor, but I dont believe Mo varied much in his built motors. IT most likely had the norm, rods, pistons, mild porting, ARP, etc, etc..

I heard that Rado had some electrical issues of some sort shortly after getting the car due to the ECU getting wet (I believe it was relocated). I dont know if it was just the stock ECU, or if it was the stand alone.

If you added up what SRT would normally charge for this build, at face value it sounds like a great deal. When I had mine built, I couldnt find a stock 1UZ for less than 3k. That was awhile ago, they are more plentiful now. That being said, you really have no background on the history of this set up. Did it have any issues, how long has it been sitting, is it all still operating correctly, etc, etc.. If you were to buy his set up and end up having to rebuild it, what are you really gaining over starting from scratch? Do the math and see if it works out, maybe it will, but take the worst case scenario and take the time to add things up and compare if you did it on your own from scratch.

You also have to take into account all of the other supporting things you need to make it work right. Your not going to just drop this stuff in and call it a day....it aint that easy!!

Dont get me wrong, im not trying to rain on anyones parade, just would hate to see someone drop that change without really doing their homework prior to jumping on it. At least know exactly what youre getting!!

Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: What happened to Christian Rado's TTGS400?