GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wheel width/offset/size and tire fitment Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-14, 05:26 AM
Riksgs808
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FatMagnate
Hey guys I'm really new to this forum and am looking for advice on tires for my newly purchased rims. Just bought some niche vicenzas 20x9 +35 fronts and 20x10 +40 rears. Car is a 1998 gs300 stock height so far. What size tires would you recommend? Also Would I need to roll the fenders or anything depending on tires I get? Or not unless I lower it once I get my coil overs .
With those wheel specs, you don't need to modify your fenders. As for tire choice........ I know you said it's stock height, but if your planning to lower it, it would make a difference in the tire selection I would purchase.
Old 08-12-14, 07:21 AM
mulasien
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice thread here, just found it as I have a question:

I have stock 16" wheels all around. Looking for a second set of beater wheels for winter tires. I have the opportunity to pick for free (plus cost of shipping) as set of two different sized wheels from a 350z that already have Blizzaks with the following stats:

Both 17" with the same offset as the GS, but one is 7" wide and the other is 8" wide.

Blizzaks on the 7" are 225/50/17 and on the 8" are 225/55/17.

Will I be able to just swap them out with the wider ones in the rear with nothing else needed, or will I need to get a spacer for the fronts since the rear is an inch wider? Or is the inch difference not enough to worry about.

Will I run into ABS or traction control faults for running slightly different sized front and rears?

edit: will I also be able to rotate them back to front despite the inch width difference, or is that a no go?
Old 08-20-14, 10:16 AM
tnstone615
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New to the Forums and I think My setup from a different car (Mustang) will fit on my new car (1998 GS300) but wanted to double check before I tear anything up. I currently have 20x10 et43 with 275/30/20 and 20x8.5 et35 with 245/35/20. From what I have read the rears will be tight but I dont think the fenders need to be rolled and the fronts should be snug but fine. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. TIA!
Old 08-26-14, 09:35 PM
Danny365N
Pole Position

Sorry, but despite using the search function and looking through many thread I still have a couple questions regarding fitment

So when I got new tires, the guy installing them dropped my wheel. Now that wheel doesn't hold air because he messed the chrome up pretty badly. They've yet to tell me what they're going to do to fix it for me if they're going to do anything at all. Regardless I've decided to get new wheels and sell mine if they fix that one since I don't like them too much anyway. Unfortunately I can't waste these brand new tires I just paid $600 for so they need to fit the wheels I buy.

I'm on a budget and I've decided on XXR 521s
Diameter: 20"
Front Width / Offset: 8.5" +32
Rear Width / Offset: 10.5" +30

** My current front tires are Hankook Ventus V12 Evos (not 2s) 225/35/20 and rears are 255/35/20, will these fit well? I don't mind a slight stretch if so just nothing dangerous.

Keep in mind my car is currently on kyb g2 and eibach springs, so it's not that low, but I'd like to get rca's or coilovers in the near future (not slammed, just sitting a bit lower)

** Regarding front fitment; I have a Supra TT front brake kit (bought the car with it) and my current wheel width and offset is 8.5"/+20 and hardly clears. I have read about disk and that being the factor in it fitting, but I'm not quite sure which is why I ask you guys. The guy @ the wheel shop said they're high disk with only 1.5" lip on the front so it should clear. The front fenders are rolled by the previous owner.

**Regarding rear fitment; I'm at no/half finger gap between tire and fender with my springs. From my research I will need to remove the black thing shave my rear fender a bit down to where the screws go in. Is that all? From looking at the DIY it looks like something I could do. Or would it be wise to give it to a professional?

Any input would be appreciated. Just want everything to be right the first time around. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Danny365N; 08-26-14 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-27-14, 02:28 PM
Rellgeta
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 18x8 45mm

Hello. I know I am bumping an old post but I would like some info.. I have a 99 gs300 white. I have 20inch rims (I HATE THESE) IT CAME WITH THE CAR. I want to do like an 18 inch rims and i came across these.. there 18x8 with 45mm offset. it came off a GS350 will these fit?? I am not trying to mod or anything.. I just want the smooth ride and more mpg.. I know 20's are too big for what I want.. I want to get them tomorrow if I can get some answers today.. Please it would be very helpful.. and if that can be answered can this too??? TIRE SIZE that would be great for the rims

the pics are for the 18 inch rims..
Attached Thumbnails Wheel width/offset/size and tire fitment Q&A thread-00z0z_3f70xcdrmd9_600x450.jpg  

Last edited by Rellgeta; 08-27-14 at 02:29 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-27-14, 03:31 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Yes they will fit...
Old 08-27-14, 03:35 PM
Rellgeta
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for answering.. now would they be a nice fit? or too far "inside" I am not trying to do "spacers" since I am not game on them anyway.. but i just want to make sure these can be a nice fit to make my car still look good.. i was thinking about as well 245/40/18 is those tire sound about right?

or can i do 245/45/18??????

Last edited by Rellgeta; 08-27-14 at 05:13 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-27-14, 05:17 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rellgeta
Thank you for answering.. now would they be a nice fit? or too far "inside" I am not trying to do "spacers" since I am not game on them anyway.. but i just want to make sure these can be a nice fit to make my car still look good.. i was thinking about as well 245/40/18 is those tire sound about right?

or can i do 245/45/18??????
Because of the narrow width and high offset, they'll be "sunken" inside of the fender wells. As for tires, I have 245/40/18 on my 3GS spare set.
Old 08-27-14, 11:09 PM
Danny365N
Pole Position

XXR 526 20x9 +15, 20x11 +15
Hankook Ventus V12 225/35 & 255/35
* Front fenders rolled that should be good right?
** Will I need to pull/flare the rear fenders? I keep seeing others saying you do, but was wondering to what extent and about how much it'd cost

Only on Eibach & KYBs right now, but getting RCAs and coilovers later.

Can somebody please give me some guidance before I go through with this?
Appreciated in advance

Last edited by Danny365N; 08-27-14 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-28-14, 01:29 AM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny365N

** Will I need to pull/flare the rear fenders? I keep seeing others saying you do, but was wondering to what extent and about how much it'd cost
You'll definitely need to shave atleast, which you can do yourself. Don't know how much the pull would cost, sorry.
I have 19x11 ET20 265/30 and I most likely will need to pull. I don't think I'll get away with it by just shaving and adding camber.
Old 08-28-14, 10:27 AM
dungut
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny365N
Sorry, but despite using the search function and looking through many thread I still have a couple questions regarding fitment

So when I got new tires, the guy installing them dropped my wheel. Now that wheel doesn't hold air because he messed the chrome up pretty badly. They've yet to tell me what they're going to do to fix it for me if they're going to do anything at all. Regardless I've decided to get new wheels and sell mine if they fix that one since I don't like them too much anyway. Unfortunately I can't waste these brand new tires I just paid $600 for so they need to fit the wheels I buy.

I'm on a budget and I've decided on XXR 521s
Diameter: 20"
Front Width / Offset: 8.5" +32
Rear Width / Offset: 10.5" +30

** My current front tires are Hankook Ventus V12 Evos (not 2s) 225/35/20 and rears are 255/35/20, will these fit well? I don't mind a slight stretch if so just nothing dangerous.

Keep in mind my car is currently on kyb g2 and eibach springs, so it's not that low, but I'd like to get rca's or coilovers in the near future (not slammed, just sitting a bit lower)

** Regarding front fitment; I have a Supra TT front brake kit (bought the car with it) and my current wheel width and offset is 8.5"/+20 and hardly clears. I have read about disk and that being the factor in it fitting, but I'm not quite sure which is why I ask you guys. The guy @ the wheel shop said they're high disk with only 1.5" lip on the front so it should clear. The front fenders are rolled by the previous owner.

**Regarding rear fitment; I'm at no/half finger gap between tire and fender with my springs. From my research I will need to remove the black thing shave my rear fender a bit down to where the screws go in. Is that all? From looking at the DIY it looks like something I could do. Or would it be wise to give it to a professional?

Any input would be appreciated. Just want everything to be right the first time around. Thanks in advance!
ive got the 521s in 20x10.5 et 30 all around. fronts have 245/35 rears have 255/35 nankang ns20s which stretch well. Im on coilovers with no gap front, and tucking tire rear.

if you get the 8.5 front you should not need any fender mod. for the rears i had to shave the fender, no pull. I put a 3mm spacer on the rear making it et27, and i still need to shave the rear a bit more to avoid the rim hitting the fender. the tire is stretched enough to clear just fine.

ill get pics up when i can.
Old 09-01-14, 11:16 AM
Danny365N
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dungut
ive got the 521s in 20x10.5 et 30 all around. fronts have 245/35 rears have 255/35 nankang ns20s which stretch well. Im on coilovers with no gap front, and tucking tire rear.

if you get the 8.5 front you should not need any fender mod. for the rears i had to shave the fender, no pull. I put a 3mm spacer on the rear making it et27, and i still need to shave the rear a bit more to avoid the rim hitting the fender. the tire is stretched enough to clear just fine.

ill get pics up when i can.
Thanks for the info man. I pulled the trigger on them and just got the 521s on. Went with the staggered setup though, 8.5 up front. Looking to put it on coilovers next

Old 09-15-14, 08:49 AM
ProzakUser
Driver School Candidate

I have the Split 5 Spoke wheels from the ISx50. I've done plenty of research into this topic....and just wanted to get a second opinion on this before I pull the plug and buy a set of spacers. I'm currently running 245/40/18 Kumho Ecsta ASX all around. I know the wheels are staggered, but the tire fitment did not seem to be an issue. My question is this: What would you recommend as far as spacer size for a flush look in the rear? Many seem to point towards 25mm, but I was thinking it may be too much and would rub the fender at some point. I'm on stock springs, and plan to install some RCA's and MAYBE coil overs in the future. Should I go with 20mm, or 25mm? I want them on the rear only as to minimize the chance of vibration. Of course, the spacers I will buy will be hubcentric.

And while I'm thinking about it....are there any pros/cons of installing a spacer that utilizes longer lug studs? Or should the bolt on's be just fine? I think with the longer studs it would minimize vibration chances even further...but I could be wrong!

2000 GS300.
Old 09-15-14, 10:29 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Please read through this thread... as always, most of us cannot help you out without you providing some form of relevant information (offset, width, etc). In your case, since you already have the wheels mounted, why not provide some pictures from different angles and if anything, we can guesstimate what to recommend.

With spacers, I prefer not to run any at all... However, if I didn't have a choice, I'd prefer hubcentric spacers that require you to swap out the stock with longer bolts. I think both H&R and Ichiba make both types though.
Old 09-16-14, 08:46 AM
Miami-SC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What's up guys......picking up a set of varrstoen es3's 19x9.5 et 15 19x10.5 et 15. Looking for a street look so not interested in stretching. What size what you guys recommend?

Quick Reply: Wheel width/offset/size and tire fitment Q&A thread