GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Small Paint Project on GS400

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-10, 10:49 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Small Paint Project on GS400

Hello guys, I just want to share my first paint job on the rear bumper and a quarter panels. I dicided to tackle the task myself for this project, cus the auto paint shop would charge me like $1300+. Plus, their paint and clear coat quaility aren't the best either with that kind of money. I used Dupont Chorma Pro base/clear coat including the primer. This is a tri-stage color. Soory for the camera phone. I have not wax and buff yet. Just let it dry out for overnight or a couple of days. What do you guys think? Any +/- comments are appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Small Paint Project on GS400-img_0017.jpg   Small Paint Project on GS400-img_0018.jpg   Small Paint Project on GS400-img_0019.jpg   Small Paint Project on GS400-img_0020.jpg   Small Paint Project on GS400-img_0021.jpg  

Old 11-03-10, 10:52 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

not bad not bad at all..
Old 11-03-10, 10:57 PM
Kzem
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks real good. make sure nobody goes into the garage whiles its drying, you dont want dust on wet paint. keep us posted
Old 11-03-10, 11:13 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

not bad at all. u wanna do mine?
Old 11-03-10, 11:40 PM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

Should of painted the whole qtr panel and pillar so you didn't need to blend. But look good. Saved a whole lotta cash huh
Old 11-03-10, 11:41 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Thank guys with your comments. I am in Norcal, otherwise, yes, I won't mind doing your bumper. Pls, keep the comments coming. I think my next project will be the front bumper and the hood.
Old 11-03-10, 11:50 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

What kind of equipment/paint did you use. It looks great!
Old 11-04-10, 12:27 AM
airestonia
Pole Position

^x2
What did you use? It looks great! Any extra heating used? And what equipment has been used?
Good luck!
Old 11-04-10, 12:28 AM
kped Gs430
Lexus Test Driver

looks sick
Old 11-04-10, 04:46 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

not trying to devalue the job so far... but painting is the easy part any one can do it its in the finishing you do on it that will make or break the hard work already done. Luckily you have a light color car so you dont have to worry about swirls too much. Cant wait to see the final outcome. Take your time on the 3 stage of cut and polish, do plenty of wet sand to get rid of any pesky orange peal... hopefully you have plenty of coats of clear on it to cut. I dont think I would attempt to do such a job, I give 2 for having the cojones

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 11-04-10 at 04:51 AM.
Old 11-04-10, 04:52 AM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^x2 and Did you blend?? Silver is one of the hardest colors to match.. Looking good so far.
Old 11-04-10, 05:08 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LudeNsoL
^^^x2 and Did you blend?? Silver is one of the hardest colors to match.. Looking good so far.
ah... yes the blend! good point to bring up. The way its wrapped up (real good too) either didnt think of it, or hasnt gotten there yet... and yea, silver SUCKS when it isnt blended right. I've seen some real bad jobs done with that, mostly with body kits. OP is lucky that he's painting half the car cause at least you only have 2 blend points as opposed to how a body kit is all around...

OP since it looks like you got a good hand on this, why didnt you just do the whole car? It would probably have been less hassle with blending, not to mention, if it doesnt come out right, at least the whole car will bad all around and even instead of half the car

still a damn lot of work! I have to give another mostly so you dont think I'm flaming in any way
Old 11-04-10, 05:21 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

and good for you for painting the inside of the fuel tank door! I just got mine painted and the 'professionals' failed to do so
Old 11-04-10, 06:41 AM
cjames235
Driver

What will you do with the clear line on the c-pillar? you wont really want to sand and feather the clear........ what made you choose not to re-clear the pillar all the way to the front?

Besides that it looks pretty good!
Old 11-04-10, 07:58 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ok...where do I begin?

1. Its great that you tackled the job yourself. Not a lot of people will do that. You chose a good line of paint and spent a lot of money on it (3 stage is not cheap). Gotta give you props on that.

2. the first thing I see, which was brought up was that you didn't clear the whole panel...meaning you stopped with the tape at the top of the rear window. This is going to create a hardline, you cannot feather clear (as brought up before). They do have a "new" blending clear which is crap and only for rush jobs that won't last for 6 months. Usually when you paint a car, you have to clear where the panel stops. I'm talking CLEAR not paint..you blend your panel but the clear needs to be done on the whole panel.

3. I see you didn't remove the moldings on the back window (the ones that run all the way to the front windshield). You will have clear peeling problems down the line, when it comes time to remove those moldings for any reason, the clear will crack in that groove. Although you taped it, clear will find its way into EVERYthing also it doesn't allow you to sand the edges of that panel, so the clear doesn't stick in that groove.

4. Did you paint it with the trunk open?

You don't become a professional overnight, but you do learn a lot from the experience. I'm sure you've learned a lot already. As time goes by, you'll continue to learn and become that guy that everyone goes to do the job....keep doing what you're doing, learn from your mistakes and talk to lots of people that do this. Everyone has their own way to do it, you can always tell the hacks from the pros by talking to them.

Last edited by speedaddic; 11-04-10 at 08:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Small Paint Project on GS400