GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

toms and daizen suspension upgrades and problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-10, 12:35 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default toms and daizen suspension upgrades and problems

Ok this post is to help inform everyone and also to help me figure out some issues after my install.

first i installed

toms 6 link
toms rear chassis brace
toms front lower brace
daizen sway bars
daizen bushings ( these install 2 years ago)
figs rear control arms

rear went smooth installed all the components and only glitch was the toms 6 link hit my exhaust in 4 separate places. (tanabe medallion) after grinding and cutting my 6 link no more exhaust rattle or interference

Now The front this went smooth install wise but still no answers on why the daizen front sway is narrower then a stock bar as pictured below. hopefully someone can measure theres or take pictures of it installed to verify this is correct.

The problem is with toms lower brace stock sway bar and daizen bushings car was quite no squeaks or abnormal noises Now with daizen sway installed the rear caster bushings squeak like crazy!! its driving me insane! no its not the sway bar bushings its the caster arm bushing i lube them and i get one day before they squeak again! they didnt squeak for 2 years up until i installed front sway bar!

any ideas!!! and no the daizen grease doesnt work long.

FIGS needs to make spherical bearing inserts for the caster arms pronto!

other install issue was toms lower brace hits oil pan i just cut the pan on a bevel so it wouldn't touch.

On the upside car drives amazing!!! Cars was corner balanced as well this thing is amazing through the turns very large improvement well worth it.

Old 10-26-10, 07:03 PM
ceelo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by benbuilt4u

The problem is with toms lower brace stock sway bar and daizen bushings car was quite no squeaks or abnormal noises Now with daizen sway installed the rear caster bushings squeak like crazy!! its driving me insane! no its not the sway bar bushings its the caster arm bushing i lube them and i get one day before they squeak again! they didnt squeak for 2 years up until i installed front sway bar!

any ideas!!! and no the daizen grease doesnt work long.
Would it be beneficial to reinstall the stock bar and see what happens? Is the Daizen bar that much stronger and putting more stress on the bushings, if that is possible?

BTW: Looks like from your sig you've got the kit on. It looks good
Old 10-26-10, 08:50 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I really want the toms chasis brace and front brace.
Old 10-26-10, 11:17 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

You have to swap your left endlink to the right and your right endlink to the left and flip them upside down. Or something like that, I'm not kidding. Do a quick search and you'll find out what you have to do to the endlinks to fit the Daizens. That is one downside to the Daizens in many people's opinion. But I can't say because I have no experience with them on the GS, just on SCs. Goodluck!

I'm with you speedaddic, those TOMS pieces have been on my want list since I first came across them when I first joined. It seems that ever since I've done everything else to my GS but that .
Old 10-26-10, 11:22 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Oh and I'm very sure the front brace did not clear the oil pan because you have a GS430.

Also, I'm assuming the rear TOMS brace did not interfere with the Tanabe Medallion Touring exhaust? I know it doesn't clear all exhausts.
Old 10-27-10, 12:33 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Are these the same rear 6 link? I noticed that the front end is still kinda flimsy on turns on my car despite having alot of upgrades.
Old 10-27-10, 07:10 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

those are knockoff Tom's links. Not sure the quality on that one, but it shouldn't be too off. I wasn't that impressed when I opened the box to my Tom's links.
Old 10-27-10, 10:29 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by benbuilt4u
rear went smooth installed all the components and only glitch was the toms 6 link hit my exhaust in 4 separate places. (tanabe medallion) after grinding and cutting my 6 link no more exhaust rattle or interference
How much did you grind down? Any pics? Any worries about weakening the link? I guess I should feel lucky that only the rear passenger link is touching my RMM exhaust. Sometimes when the exhaust vibrates a bit, the two hit and the car sounds like crap.

Originally Posted by speedaddic
those are knockoff Tom's links. Not sure the quality on that one, but it shouldn't be too off. I wasn't that impressed when I opened the box to my Tom's links.
Wow. I did not realize they have knock off links. I don't think Tom's sold THAT many that there would be a market for knockoffs.

Anyway, OP, I have a similar setup (Tom's braces/links+ Daizen sways, no bushings) and I love the handling improvements. I can't help you on the install since TM installed all the suspension pieces years ago.
Old 10-27-10, 06:37 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ceelo
Would it be beneficial to reinstall the stock bar and see what happens? Is the Daizen bar that much stronger and putting more stress on the bushings, if that is possible?

BTW: Looks like from your sig you've got the kit on. It looks good
Everything is in, but car is in the garage on the lift trying to fix the bushing squeaking. i should have that done tomorrow. Also found out that the caster arm is hitting the toms brace arm that goes up to the cradle. gonna have to grind clearance on to caster arm

Originally Posted by speedaddic
I really want the toms chasis brace and front brace.
I got all of this off an ebat auction i found and i got one hell of a deal!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Originally Posted by mex lex
You have to swap your left endlink to the right and your right endlink to the left and flip them upside down. Or something like that, I'm not kidding. Do a quick search and you'll find out what you have to do to the endlinks to fit the Daizens. That is one downside to the Daizens in many people's opinion. But I can't say because I have no experience with them on the GS, just on SCs. Goodluck!

I'm with you speedaddic, those TOMS pieces have been on my want list since I first came across them when I first joined. It seems that ever since I've done everything else to my GS but that .
the changing of the endlinks only applys to the rears.

Originally Posted by sam430
Are these the same rear 6 link? I noticed that the front end is still kinda flimsy on turns on my car despite having alot of upgrades.
my car feels planted defiantly more German ride then the plush lexus i had.

Originally Posted by Neo
How much did you grind down? Any pics? Any worries about weakening the link? I guess I should feel lucky that only the rear passenger link is touching my RMM exhaust. Sometimes when the exhaust vibrates a bit, the two hit and the car sounds like crap.

Wow. I did not realize they have knock off links. I don't think Tom's sold THAT many that there would be a market for knockoffs.

Anyway, OP, I have a similar setup (Tom's braces/links+ Daizen sways, no bushings) and I love the handling improvements. I can't help you on the install since TM installed all the suspension pieces years ago.

Handling is so well balanced and controlled huge improvement. before this corner balancing the car was the biggest improvement. i grinded down the pipe section on 4 parts to clear and the way its designed shouldn't weaken it at all. the exhaust vibration was to much for me so i had to trim them.