GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Looking for a way to get hard bass?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-10, 12:36 PM
PANAnVEGAS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aagad5
I have a 10" kenwood installed in my factory sub location with 350 watts coming to it does anybody have ideas where I can get a way so I can feel the bass in the steering wheel like by switching subs and adding a more powerfull amp and what brand would be preferred?
check this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x82brWQLUPQ
Old 10-24-10, 04:23 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

^^ yup, 4th order through the rear deck is a great way to achieve some clean bass with not trunk rattles.

And people, to a certain extent, size doesnt matter. you can get a single 8 to slam if you do your build right. As for the guy with a sealed box with two 10's and two 12's?

OP:

better off going with something different than Kenwood. Spend a little money and get something that is worth your while. And again, your best bet is to port it though your factory woofer location or cut the leather behind the armrest of the seat and port it through there. Our seats are horrible for blocking sound. Air doesnt like to pass through leather and foam. Point woofers forward ported through rear deck or arm rest and baffle off the back of the trunk... That will give optimum bass, but must be baffled from the rear.
Old 10-25-10, 11:17 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by PANAnVEGAS
funny this is actually the CL member who made me decide to get a RE audio sub...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-and-pics.html

i had talked to him about designing a 4th order and now since i blew my old sub up (super audio shop that tuned my box WAY to high) im gonna try and contact him again to blueprint one for me
Old 10-25-10, 05:11 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

C'mon sac... its already been said that its your amp that destroyed your woofer... also, I personally believe you'll toast that woofer with your amp even quicker in a 4th order!
Old 10-25-10, 05:34 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

4th order bandpass will hide distortion as well...so that's another way to blow your sub.
Old 10-25-10, 05:46 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by speedaddic
4th order bandpass will hide distortion as well...so that's another way to blow your sub.
exactly! and especially with a 4th order, you design it wrong... you're screwed! read up anywhere, the science with a 4th order is hard to do and not everyone will attempt, most people just do the 2:1 ratio with the 2 chambers and call it a day, sure its ok for a mildly watted system, however throw a lot of power at it, theres more than distortion you have to worry about cause that poor woofer is gonna bake in that box.

I cant stress, Sak, that your amp is not made for a single woofer set up, yet alone a daily set up. I dont care what a company says, you cant do 2500 at a woofer all day long, even DC lvl 5 is an 'iffy' situation. I say get a pair of bad *** tens or 12's (if you can get a box in there for 12's) and run dual subs on that amp. Less stress on the woofer and better distribution of power.
Old 10-25-10, 06:14 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

when I did car audio back in the days (93-95) I learned power doesn't blow speakers...distortion does.
Old 10-25-10, 09:18 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by speedaddic
when I did car audio back in the days (93-95) I learned power doesn't blow speakers...distortion does.
thats true. but high wattage amps still can produce heat cause for that then we can put a 1000watt amp on a 100 watt sub full blast with no distortion and it will pump out bass for days.. But I dont decredit your comment cause distortion is the #1 cause of woofer meltdown. Amp wattage (when high) plays a key role when designing a box cause more power needs more box volume cause the poor woofer gotta breath -_-
Old 10-25-10, 09:35 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

agreed. too much will heat that voice coil up
Old 10-26-10, 01:09 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

on a different note... I'd rather have the box produce the output before I try to push more sound with power.
Old 10-26-10, 06:00 AM
348he
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question?
Did anyone use the existing subwoofer cables and connect them directly to the amp? I was thinking of doing this but some/most amp will only allow a maximum wattage through the speaker inputs. I want to use the existing wiring and just run a power and/or remote wire. Anyone? Anyone?

Thanks all.
Old 10-26-10, 06:23 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

only way you can use those is with a hi/low converter. Still dont think though the signal would be strong enough, I'd at least use some type of signal processor or signal booster of some type.
Old 10-26-10, 10:29 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
C'mon sac... its already been said that its your amp that destroyed your woofer... also, I personally believe you'll toast that woofer with your amp even quicker in a 4th order!
yeah my amp and the fact that my box is tuned to like 45hz

I cant stress, Sak, that your amp is not made for a single woofer set up, yet alone a daily set up. I dont care what a company says, you cant do 2500 at a woofer all day long, even DC lvl 5 is an 'iffy' situation. I say get a pair of bad *** tens or 12's (if you can get a box in there for 12's) and run dual subs on that amp. Less stress on the woofer and better distribution of power.
no, its not, thats why i wanna go to a DUAL 4th order setup.
Old 10-26-10, 09:57 PM
348he
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only way you can use those is with a hi/low converter. Still dont think though the signal would be strong enough, I'd at least use some type of signal processor or signal booster of some type.
I meant an aftermarket amp. I don't want to have to tie into the wiring behind the dash to bypass. I want to keep the factory setup (radio, changer) and just add my single 10 RF HE2 from my TL.

Last edited by 348he; 10-26-10 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-27-10, 12:40 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 348he
I meant an aftermarket amp. I don't want to have to tie into the wiring behind the dash to bypass. I want to keep the factory setup (radio, changer) and just add my single 10 RF HE2 from my TL.
my answer still stands. unless you need to clarify your question. You said subwoofer cables and I'm assuming you meant the wires at the rear deck... cause there arent any cables in our car.

Quick Reply: Looking for a way to get hard bass?