GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

VVTi cam gear Viton O-rings.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 06:58 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I looked at Jeff's video on rebuilding the VVTi pulley. I am in the process of replacing my VTI pulley. I know the VVTI pulley can move as much as 30 degrees separately from the camshaft. I assume that the replacement VVTi pulley must be in the same position within this 30 degree range as the pulley it is replacing. How can this be done, especially if the old pulley has already been removed? Are there alignment marks. Or does it matter, since the timing of the pulley will be adjusted based on the position of the valves and feedback from the ECU. I appreciate any help.
Old 01-22-14, 08:35 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

It doesn't have to be in the same position. When you reinstall the new gear and timing belt, just make sure the marks on the cam gears line up and you're good to go. The internal mechanism will "reset/realign" to zero degrees once you turn the crank clockwise. Just follow the factory procedure to reinstall the timing belt.
Old 01-23-14, 11:33 AM
Yaboysgs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Powerdynamix.com

This site on there rebuild section has a full video and all part numbers needed to do this job down to the tools needed also give the option to buy one that's costom come in cool colors to match after market cam gears check them out also have different stage turbo kits with fair prices.
Old 01-23-14, 02:09 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys
Old 12-24-14, 04:29 AM
freshmoney
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kontrazeus
You don't have to take the cam gear off or anything to seal it..all you need is some high heat silicone to fill the grooves on the edges of the gear and use muffler putty sealer on top the silicone to seal the gear!...I did it on my 2002 gs300 and never had a leak and its going on 5 months now..you just have to take off the top and middle plastic covers to expose the gear and belt assembly..I repeat there is no need to take the gear off the car you can seal it while its on there!

Any update on this fix. How is it holding up? Or anybody else yet this? After getting timing and water pump done i was told mine was leaking...
Old 12-24-14, 03:34 PM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by freshmoney
Any update on this fix. How is it holding up? Or anybody else yet this? After getting timing and water pump done i was told mine was leaking...
I'm at 47K on this method and not a single drop yet. I would not recommend doing it this way though especially when you can get the Vitons from Jeff.
Old 12-24-14, 06:11 PM
UzRexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Agent0024
I'm at 47K on this method and not a single drop yet. I would not recommend doing it this way though especially when you can get the Vitons from Jeff.
Agreed, fix the problem. Don't bandaid it.
Old 12-22-20, 07:25 PM
Pachya
4th Gear

Default It does not work

Originally Posted by Agent0024
I took mine apart to replace the O-ring but couldn't find the appropriate O-ring to use. Instead of the O-ring I used some some black Permatex RTV and bolted the pulley back together. Drove halfway across the country without any problem.

Some guy on my.is told me that he had used a Toyota O-ring with this part number to seal up the pulley. I've never tried it before so I can't tell you guys if this is true or not.

96711-31080
Do this part number doesn't not fit, its too big. I tried.
Old 03-08-21, 01:11 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

I am lucky enough to only be about an hour away from Jeff Tsai's shop. Took it to him and ended up having my vvti seal fixed and well as the cam seals replaced and it seems to have fixed all of my oil leak issues. When I bought my car they supposedly replaced timing belt along with new cam seals. I even received a receipt where they bought the parts an marked them as being replaced. However, once Jeff dug into it he found that one cam seal had been replaced and they messed up the metal around the area where the seal goes. The other cam seal was hard enough that he thinks it was the original with 185k miles on it. He cleaned up the messed up area and replaced both cam seals with OEM seals. His guess is that hey attempted to get out one of the cam seals, struggled with it, mess up the area around it and then just said forget about the other seal and send it out the door. Jeff definitely knows the GS300 in and out. I won't even mention the multiple Supras he had out in front of his shop.
Old 12-09-23, 07:46 AM
syyggebb
1st Gear

Originally Posted by kontrazeus
You don't have to take the cam gear off or anything to seal it..all you need is some high heat silicone to fill the grooves on the edges of the gear and use muffler putty sealer on top the silicone to seal the gear!...I did it on my 2002 gs300 and never had a leak and its going on 5 months now..you just have to take off the top and middle plastic covers to expose the gear and belt assembly..I repeat there is no need to take the gear off the car you can seal it while its on there!

Do you have pictures if the grooves? Where the silicone needs to go?