GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
Old 01-06-15, 04:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Lexus GS300 GS400 Rear Door Disassembly (Door Lock actuator Replacement Repair DIY)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-13, 10:17 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by SAJJAD10
(01 GS300) My Passenger Door will not respond from my key. The driver side (main switch) cannot lock or unlock the passenger door lock either.
The only way i can unlock or lock the passenger door lock is to pysically do it myself by hand.

What part do i need to buy?
yea, I have the same problem with my passenger door. Open up the panel and see if the wire came loose or broke from where it "snaps" on to the door (right behind the lock). I've come to find out that without it being snapped in, the long insulating sleeve doesn't have the counter pressure to lock the lock, rather it just moves the sleeve to and fro instead of the actual lock (while trying electronically that is)
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (12-17-21)
Old 04-22-13, 09:44 PM
Ernest_GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
I too will contest that it can be removed by holding up the door handle. If you look at how the rear handle works, lifting it moves the 'arm' that triggers the door mechanism moves out of the way. But will also agree with you strongly about the patience thing UGH! There is a quick way to remove the rears though, but only during my frustration does it happen to where I forget instantly and never remember or write it up

Nice write up Would be nice with lots of pictures
I found that it's very easy, and there is no need to remove the handle. The problem is, when trying to remove the actuator, it is getting stuck on the backside of the door handle. Using your finger, find the metal mechanism that moves downwards when handle is lifted. Now press and hold the metal lever down, while pulling the actuator pass the door handle. It should come straight out, without issues.
QLex300 (12-17-21)
Old 07-12-13, 02:18 PM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ernest_GS
I found that it's very easy, and there is no need to remove the handle. The problem is, when trying to remove the actuator, it is getting stuck on the backside of the door handle. Using your finger, find the metal mechanism that moves downwards when handle is lifted. Now press and hold the metal lever down, while pulling the actuator pass the door handle. It should come straight out, without issues.

This is a pic I took yesterday of the rear door actuator situation. get your head in there and poke around and this is what you will see.

Im hoping to clarify this issue for everyone and confirm this technique. The metal contact protruding from the actuator and making contact with the rear door handle is like a spring loaded lever that that can be pushed to a down position. This is the same part ninja6o4 is pushing down on with his finger in the earlier post in this thread

I recommend using a screwdriver with a long shaft to push down on the indicated area in the picture while holding the actuator assembly with the other hand and wiggling it downwards.
QLex300 (12-17-21)
Old 01-06-14, 03:01 AM
Lexnut430
Driver School Candidate

hi folks.

I'm new on here, but i just wanted to say the info on this was amazing.
I spent the guts of a day & a half trying to remove the rear door handles only to discover if i had read on down this post I would have found the easy way.

I went out this morning & using the "pull the open handle wire" way, i had both handles removed in 15mins.

thank you guys so much, this site is a brilliant point for knowledge on these cars.

Cheers,

Erwin.
Old 01-29-14, 06:10 AM
bebadman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Wont Unlock HELP!!!

Hello Guys,

I know this is an old thread sorry!!

I have a problem with the rear right door on my 2006 GS300. It wont unlock no matter what I do.
When I try with the key it just makes a funny whirring sound, and the inside lock switch does nothing at all.

I need to take a look at the door but obviously I cannot get it open to do so. Any advise please gents!
Old 01-29-14, 06:43 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bebadman
Hello Guys,

I know this is an old thread sorry!!

I have a problem with the rear right door on my 2006 GS300. It wont unlock no matter what I do.
When I try with the key it just makes a funny whirring sound, and the inside lock switch does nothing at all.

I need to take a look at the door but obviously I cannot get it open to do so. Any advise please gents!
Hi Bebadman,

Unfortunately this is the 2nd generation GS forum which covers 1998-2005 so you are VERY unlikely to find an answer here. For your 2006 model you can search for a solution and then post a question if none is found in the 3rd generation GS forum HERE.
Old 04-27-14, 10:42 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm in the process of doing this right now and the pulling of the wires isn't as easy as described in this thread. I'm pulling both and nothing is happening. Still not clearing the door handle. The struggle is real
Old 04-27-14, 10:49 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfesrLEX
This is a pic I took yesterday of the rear door actuator situation. get your head in there and poke around and this is what you will see.

Im hoping to clarify this issue for everyone and confirm this technique. The metal contact protruding from the actuator and making contact with the rear door handle is like a spring loaded lever that that can be pushed to a down position. This is the same part ninja6o4 is pushing down on with his finger in the earlier post in this thread

I recommend using a screwdriver with a long shaft to push down on the indicated area in the picture while holding the actuator assembly with the other hand and wiggling it downwards.
This is the best post here along with ninja. I just pressed down in that tab and FINALLY got the actuator to clear the handle.
QLex300 (12-17-21)
Old 05-01-14, 01:36 PM
dbogotti92
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thanks for this, just saved me a bunch doing it myself instead of paying the dealership.
Old 05-24-14, 11:55 AM
fasted1953
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is worth a bump to thank everyone for the great instructions. Changed the lock actuator on my 1999 GS400 today. Took a while to wrestle the lock out of the door, but I was able to do it without removing the door handle. Putting it back in was much easier.

When the weather changes in Texas from winter to summer, something always goes. Normally either a door lock or the battery.
QLex300 (12-17-21)
Old 05-24-14, 12:38 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fasted1953
This is worth a bump to thank everyone for the great instructions. Changed the lock actuator on my 1999 GS400 today. Took a while to wrestle the lock out of the door, but I was able to do it without removing the door handle. Putting it back in was much easier.

When the weather changes in Texas from winter to summer, something always goes. Normally either a door lock or the battery.
How long did it take? I'm considering doing this also.

CEO
Old 05-24-14, 01:18 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

i pulled the outside door handle like you are opening it and held it in open position and the unit slipped right out.
Old 05-24-14, 03:45 PM
fasted1953
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took me around 2 hours. BUT, my 15 year old son was helping me because he's interested in fixing stuff like his old man, so I had to teach about tools, etc while I went, AND I was in no hurry, I'm meticulous about keeping track of what screws go where, extra careful pulling trim and door panels, etc. etc. When I started to get frustrated about getting the lock mech out, I took a break and came back and re-read this thread. Next time, or doing it alone, I'd have it done in under an hour.
Old 06-15-14, 06:32 PM
Bradlar
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello,

3 of the door locks on my moms 2003 Lexus GS430 have stopped functioning properly (rear two do not lock, front passenger does not open from the outside) over the space of a few months. I read a little and watched the video from nguyengs42 on youtube and figured I could do this myself.
I ordered the motor actuators (x4) and gear puller off eBay. Started on the rear passenger immediately after pulling the door panel off, noticed that the door lock cable was not attached to the door (maybe the problem?) but figure I going to replace the actuator motor anyhow since I'm already started. Wish I had known how hard it would have been to remove the actuator to get to the motor. Once I get the actuator out I find that the actuator has been cut open previous and the gear on the motor inside the actuator was missing. Well that explained why that wasn't working. So I ordered a whole new actuator from eBay.
They sent an actuator for the rear drivers side. So I figured, well I was going to have to replace that one too anyway (making lemonade) so I took that door apart and thought it looked different (1st image), but it's been a couple weeks at this time and I couldn't place my finger on what exactly was different. Also I noticed that this door did have the black tipped lock cable attached to the door panel, but still this door would not lock. Well this time it went smoother as I had a little practice now except when I came to removing the door handle. Hadn't read all the way threw this post at that time. I go ahead and swap out the actuator and put everything back together and Voila! it works!
I figure that wasn't too bad and I'm riding the high of some success plus now I have the gear from the motor in the actuator so I can now fix the rear passenger door. Well I pulled the door apart and noticed what was different (2nd image). Well I have no idea what this green/blue (I'm color blind) thing is for, but I figure I'll just hook everything up that looks like it needs to be connected. I got everything put together but had the dickens of a problem getting that black door lock cable attached to both the door panel and the blue/green thing, but I get it done! I think I've bested another door lock, but come to find out after connecting everything and putting the door panel back on I cannot move the door lock or handle from the inside of that door?!

So my question is what is that blue/green thing and would that be the cause for why I cannot move the door lock or handle from the inside? And I say inside as in if I was sitting in the car I would be unable to pull the door handle to open the door. Someone would have to open it from the inside. And as far as I know the door does not lock by using the drivers unlock/lock controls.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus GS300 GS400 Rear Door Disassembly (Door Lock actuator Replacement Repair DIY)-img_1802.jpg   Lexus GS300 GS400 Rear Door Disassembly (Door Lock actuator Replacement Repair DIY)-img_1808.jpg  

Last edited by Bradlar; 06-15-14 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-03-14, 08:29 AM
2nl3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help after install rear door lock actuator I can't not manually lock or unlock please help what I doing wrong????

Quick Reply: Lexus GS300 GS400 Rear Door Disassembly (Door Lock actuator Replacement Repair DIY)